The Student Room Group

Is there any real reason to be a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Livestock farming is one of the biggest environmental pollutants, which is greatly damaging the earth. However, it won't cause much change in your lifetime (unless you live by the sea), so there's no reason for you to care. But maybe you feel empathetic towards the next generations of humans; after all, you owe the previous generations for our cosy lifestyle, so maybe you should repay your debts to those who will live in the future. Being a vegetarian alone won't stop the environmental pollution though; dairy farming is just as problematic. But if you only had that and no livestock farming, then it'd be much less of an issue by itself.

On the subject of empathy, that's something a lot of people lack here. Animals are just food to humans, except the cute ones who live with you anyway. Something has to sustain something else for that something else to live, not much we can do about that, but people are gluttonous and disrespectful. People gorge on meat, and then simply toss away whatever they can't eat. We're so removed from the process of killing that we don't even think about it anymore. That's not restricted to just eating though; we'll step on a bug because it's gross, we'll kill a mouse because we don't want it near us. We take no prisoners. It makes you wonder how we'd deal with alien life if we ever come across it, because we don't respect any life on our planet. Most humans don't even get respect, so we're a long way off from dealing with animals.
Original post by MattyR2895
The only real reason I can see to be a vegetarian is if you happen to dislike the taste of meat, and so you don't eat it, which I suppose technically makes you a vegetarian, but it's not on any kind of ethical grounds.
I'm a meat eater, so obviously I have no ethical problems with killing animals to eat them, but most vegetarians do, and yet they still consume dairy and eggs? Those industries have the same implications for the animals as the meat industry. The cows that produce milk are killed after a couple of years when they are no longer able to produce the milk, usually they are turned in to meat for people to eat. Same in the egg industry, male cocks are of no use and killed.
I have nothing against people who are ethically against the consumption of animal products, ie vegans. We just share different ethics. I just think it's hypocritical to say killing animals is wrong and then contribute to the dairy and egg industry, as most vegetarians do.
Also any self proclaimed 'vegetarians' who still eat fish, gtfo.

The proteins in meat and vegetables act differently - meat protein 'hides' cancer cells from your body, whereas vegetable proteins highlight cancer cells, helping to fight the disease.
Original post by Steezy
Have you ever seen a fat veggie?

My point was to say that on average a veggie would probably eat less (because all the fatties are meat eaters, not all meat eaters are fatties), so the guys point about you'd have to eat more veg in order to replace the meat was invalid as people don't tend to eat just what they need.

There are some obese veggies, I myself am one.

We aren't common though. And my problem is sugar filled drinks rather than too much food... so your point still stands.

/thread
Original post by minimarshmallow
There are some obese veggies, I myself am one.

We aren't common though. And my problem is sugar filled drinks rather than too much food... so your point still stands.

Why don't you give up the sugar drinks?
Original post by Steezy

That coupled with my unwillingness to believe that the vegetable industry kills as much animals as the meat industry, leads me to believe you definitely are contributing less to the death of animals by being a vegetarian.

I would disagree, Animal deaths as a result of agriculture outstrip deaths from the meat industry by factors.
Original post by Zen Baphomet
I would disagree, Animal deaths as a result of agriculture outstrip deaths from the meat industry by factors.

Fair enough. Admittedly I don't know all that much about the subject. As my reasons are not moral ones, it's not a subject I've looked all that deeply into.
Original post by minimarshmallow
Except we feed a lot of vegetables to animals that are then used for meat.

I am fully aware, but the deaths would still outstrip the meat industry,

One potato kills seven living beings and would barely constitute a side portion for one meal.

One cow feeds up to twenty humans for a day.

This means a jacket potato is 410 times as deadly as a beef steak.

Edit:Just running away to find the exact sources for those stats, in the meantime it works of the principle that so many tens of thousands of living beings are killed pure square km of cropland, and each KM of cropland tends to produce x number of crop(in this case potato) so you can work out that each Potato is responsible for the death of X number of living beings)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Steezy
Fair enough. Admittedly I don't know all that much about the subject. As my reasons are not moral ones, it's not a subject I've looked all that deeply into.

That's fine , at the end of the day just eat what you want for whatever reason you want.

Doesn't bother me..*skips away*
One cow feeds up to twenty humans for a day

I would think you could feed more than 20 people for a day with a single cow. I would say one of these could feed well over 20 people for a day.

Original post by DiddyDec
I would think you could feed more than 20 people for a day with a single cow. I would say one of these could feed well over 20 people for a day.

Your more than likely right, It was just a number I was quoted a while back in a simmiler debate.

You see the thrust of the argument though I presume?
No you don't, the Vegetables you eat caused the death of far more animals than the meat industry does.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DannyYYYY
LOL

It's not funny, one potato causes the death of on average seven insects and a fifteenth of a small mammel.

Do you have any idea how many insects are killed concerting fields into agricultural land?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not funny, one potato causes the death of on average seven insects and a fifteenth of a small mammel.

Do you have any idea how many insects are killed concerting fields into agricultural land?

I don't think you have got your figures right. Insects maybe. But small mammals, no. Where did you find the figure for 15 small mammals?

Edit: By your figures 450,000 small mammals die per hectare. Plant density of 30,000 per hectare which is about average.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
While I'm not a vegetarian I would turn the question around and ask why he's not a vegetarian. Humans historically needed meat because their plant food source was limited to a few hundred miles (ergo limiting nutrition), this is not the case today.

Regarding my wider thoughts I have some sympathy because of how inefficient creating meat is in comparison (something like ten times more water required) and also because I find it hypocritical to suggest that its humane to electrocute an animal (death is death) so I may cut meat out of my diet at some point although I don't really care for all the hippy arguments about it.

You've been saying this for years. When are you actually going to put your principles before your preference for meat?
Original post by ArtGoblin
You've been saying this for years. When are you actually going to put your principles before your preference for meat?

When i'm motivated enough to do so. For now there are still meats like Duck and Goose which i want to try.
Original post by DiddyDec
I don't think you have got your figures right. Insects maybe. But small mammals, no. Where did you find the figure for 15 small mammals?

Edit: By your figures 450,000 small mammals die per hectare. Plant density of 30,000 per hectare which is about average.

I said a fifteenth, not fifteen.

1/15th not 1 X 15

My original point remains: factory farming is environmentally un-sustainable.
Original post by DannyYYYY
My original point remains: factory farming is environmentally un-sustainable.

As is a pure vegetarian diet.

Think of the insects and the voles...THE INSECTS AND THE VOLES!!!!
As is a pure vegetarian diet.

Think of the insects and the voles...THE INSECTS AND THE VOLES!!!!

Then we better enjoy the Earth whilst we still can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending