Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First year of uni was dismal - thinking of transferring or restarting but unsure. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, sorry if im posting this in the wrong place.

I'm presently studying an Animal science and management foundation degree at a certain college. I completed an earlier Level 3 course with the highest grade possible but due being needed at home to help care for a family member i was needed at home, which limited my options to just the certain college for an animal degree if I wanted to start then (at the time, it looked like we werent going to get any respite care, which would have meant waiting at least another 4 years to go somewhere else, though now it looks like he will get some respite care soon).

Here's the thing: the degree course is dire. I mean, really really bad. I took a year out of education to work and save and in that time it has really gone down hill. Despite "a wide range of trips" being advertized, in the event only one was provided during the first year, which was after many, many requests. Worse, we had an entire semester taught by a man with no clue what he's doing. He would literally make several GROSS mistakes virtually every lesson, for example saying DNA was dIoxyribose because it has two oxygen atoms. Wrong on so many levels. There have been countless other problems and downfalls I wont go into.

I cannot quantify how bad the course has been so far, and I'm not holding out much hope for the second year being any better. Entire portions of some modules werent taught at all.

My brother is finally going to get some respite care come september, and I wont be needed as much at home anymore. Would restarting somewhere else be a viable option, or maybe transferring? If so, what would the financial ramifications be? If needs be I'd even consider taking another couple of years out to work and save thats how bad it is.

I love animals and want a degree with them, I just hate this college. Besides, different colleges would offer more relevant (to me) qualifications that focus on the animals, and less on science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiltshire21)
    Hi all, sorry if im posting this in the wrong place.

I'm presently studying an Animal science and management foundation degree at a certain college. I completed an earlier Level 3 course with the highest grade possible but due being needed at home to help care for a family member i was needed at home, which limited my options to just the certain college for an animal degree if I wanted to start then (at the time, it looked like we werent going to get any respite care, which would have meant waiting at least another 4 years to go somewhere else, though now it looks like he will get some respite care soon).

Here's the thing: the degree course is dire. I mean, really really bad. I took a year out of education to work and save and in that time it has really gone down hill. Despite "a wide range of trips" being advertized, in the event only one was provided during the first year, which was after many, many requests. Worse, we had an entire semester taught by a man with no clue what he's doing. He would literally make several GROSS mistakes virtually every lesson, for example saying DNA was dIoxyribose because it has two oxygen atoms. Wrong on so many levels. There have been countless other problems and downfalls I wont go into.

I cannot quantify how bad the course has been so far, and I'm not holding out much hope for the second year being any better. Entire portions of some modules werent taught at all.

My brother is finally going to get some respite care come september, and I wont be needed as much at home anymore. Would restarting somewhere else be a viable option, or maybe transferring? If so, what would the financial ramifications be? If needs be I'd even consider taking another couple of years out to work and save thats how bad it is.

I love animals and want a degree with them, I just hate this college. Besides, different colleges would offer more relevant (to me) qualifications that focus on the animals, and less on science.
    What are your long term goals?

I say this because often in the Animals field experience counts for far more than having a degree.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm pretty open, so long as I get to work with animals. Working in a zoo, pet store, petting farm, kennels. If my grades are sufficient I'd even like to think about working in conservation or perhaps studying paleontology post grad level.

Long term I'd like the degree just to give me more options really. I've got a lot of (unpaid) experience so far, I just reckon a degree would help get the higher up positions down the line, and open more doors.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm pretty open, so long as I get to work with animals. Working in a zoo, pet store, petting farm, kennels. If my grades are sufficient I'd even like to think about working in conservation or perhaps studying paleontology post grad level.

Long term I'd like the degree just to give me more options really. I've got a lot of (unpaid) experience so far, I just reckon a degree would help get the higher up positions down the line, and open more doors.
    Could a science degree be relevant? Or a Scottish university with subject combinations?

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly looking for one focused solely on animals, I've got an interest in science but (except for natural history) its not something Id relly want as a career.

My main interest is how feasible it is to transfer or restart somewhere if we dont get assurances that next year will be better. Would I be able to get a tuition/maintenance loan? Would other unis accept transfers at this point?

I got straight merits across the board in my first year.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity bump.

Does anyone know what the funding situation would be for restarting? In terms of maintenance/tuition fee loans?

ReputationRep:
    Bumpity bump.

Does anyone know what the funding situation would be for restarting? In terms of maintenance/tuition fee loans?
    You are entitled to student finance for the length of your course plus one extra year. If you dropped out before 2nd year started and applied to another uni you would get the full course funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You are entitled to student finance for the length of your course plus one extra year. If you dropped out before 2nd year started and applied to another uni you would get the full course funded.
    Wow thats brilliant, thanks for the info. Would I have to repay the maintenance grant i got for the 1st year?

I just hope other unis are accepting applicants this late in the day. I'm still a little torn on the issue to be honest. If I knew for sure that the college would/woulldnt improve next year it'd make the decision so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats brilliant, thanks for the info. Would I have to repay the maintenance grant i got for the 1st year?

I just hope other unis are accepting applicants this late in the day. I'm still a little torn on the issue to be honest. If I knew for sure that the college would/woulldnt improve next year it'd make the decision so much easier.
    You would have to repeat your tuition fees/loans for this year but not immediately, only when you are earning above 21k and then it will be taken straight out of your wage. You need to start looking for other unis immediately and gage whether they will accept you as it is very late.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.