Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Complaining against my university - advice needed! Watch

ReputationRep:
    My uni have cancelled one of the modules as the tutor is ill which means I am struggling to find a module I like for next year. My module (worth 1/3 of my final year) which I enrolled on on the first day was cancelled . When the modules were initially released I had a list of top 4 preferences and chose to do history of Japan which has now been
    cancelled. My second, third and fourth choices are now full which means as a result of the late cancellation I am now left to pick up the pieces and find a module a long time after everyone else has had the chance to choose on a level playing field.

I have contacted the department who wont help me and say I cant get on any of the modules I want because they are full and are being adamant I have to do a remaining module so now I am faced with doing a module which I have no interest in, have never studied before and are options which are radically different to what I have an interest in.

It was also a bit suspicious as the module which was cancelled was never in the module fair programme before and in any documents and I only saw it a day before module enrolment and made a late decision to choose that one. I did have suspicions especially after the same tutor was ill last year and the module was not on the documents provided and queried it with the office but was reassured it would 100% go ahead which is now not the case.

This is now causing me much distress, worry and concern about my
    progress in my third year, a crucial year for my degree.

This is the second year in a row this has happened to me and I am left to choose from the remaining topics which are not what I want to do..

Just wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and whether people think I have a case to claim for some sort of compensation or something like that.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like your uni screwed you over, offering a module only to cancel it and dump you on an under subscribed one. Which uni was it? Also, I'm sure there's a governing body in place to take complaints, also your local MP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.