Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Association between bullying and being quiet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if this is a silly thread but I just curious. If someone was bullied for many years would being very quiet (and finding it difficult to interact with other people) be the end result? Or is it nonsense?

My brother used to beat me up at the time I was in primary school while he was at college(punched me a couples times in the arm in the same spot so I got black green bruises) every waking day. This stopped when i was in year 10 secondary school.

I have always found it difficult to talk to him and still do (22 now); we make conversation but I just don't feel like continuing the conversation. But when I talk to other family members it's a lot easier and I'm slightly more open. I'm even more open with my friends but even then they still say I'm quiet.

My general (normal) mood is neutral/sad and it's difficult for me to be happy for some reason.

Or is it simply my personality and I was born like this?

I think I'm over it because I haven't brought this topic up for many years. But I just wonder why I am ridiculously quiet while all of my friends are not?

ReputationRep:
    People abused at a young age are likely to be affected for the rest of their lives. You can obviously move on and embrace the new life you now lead, but it’s likely there’ll always be a part of you that’s reminiscent of your old, quiet self.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied and abused for so many years. I'm quiet, reserved and miserable. My general mood is also sad and rarely happy. I find it almost impossible to interact with people on a non-academic/non-professional setting (i.e. social). I don't know if it's related to the bullying, hard to say. Maybe it's an inherent personality trait.

ReputationRep:
    can be, it can go both ways, quiet people less likely to stick up for themselves are easier targets but if anything you say could cause a problem/lead to you getting hurt becoming quiet and saying little can be a survival strategy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.