The Student Room Group

Failed 1st year. How to apply through clearing?

I started my first year with a lot of problems- grief, domestic abuse, depression and anxiety. I struggled to attend due to my anxiety and depression and I was offered counselling but things didn't work out with that. First term was ok despite my problems, passed everything a lot of 2:2s in assignments and a few 2:1s so I know I'm capable. Second term, I rarely showed up to lectures and only attended a few seminars. I then ended up only turning up to one exam and missing my others. The abuse I was receiving from my bf got worse, my self esteem was lower than low.

This was around April/May, I felt like an absolute failure and that something needed to be done. So, I went to see my GP and he put me on propranolol for my anxiety. I've also just finished CBT and I am due to start counselling for the duration of the summer, then hoping to continue at my chosen uni. So I am much happier now and ready for a fresh start.

The problem is, I don't have a reference. Tbh, I don't really know how I should apply for uni this September. I have exceeded the entry requirements for the uni I wish to attend, but will the uni hesitate to accept me due to my problems?. Should I use my old PS? Should I ask my tutor to write my reference?If so, what should he mention? I feel like he doesn't really know me and as I had terrible attendance throughout the year he probably doesn't even remember me.

Help appreciated :smile:
Original post by JustLittleMe :)
I started my first year with a lot of problems- grief, domestic abuse, depression and anxiety. I struggled to attend due to my anxiety and depression and I was offered counselling but things didn't work out with that. First term was ok despite my problems, passed everything a lot of 2:2s in assignments and a few 2:1s so I know I'm capable. Second term, I rarely showed up to lectures and only attended a few seminars. I then ended up only turning up to one exam and missing my others. The abuse I was receiving from my bf got worse, my self esteem was lower than low.

This was around April/May, I felt like an absolute failure and that something needed to be done. So, I went to see my GP and he put me on propranolol for my anxiety. I've also just finished CBT and I am due to start counselling for the duration of the summer, then hoping to continue at my chosen uni. So I am much happier now and ready for a fresh start.

The problem is, I don't have a reference. Tbh, I don't really know how I should apply for uni this September. I have exceeded the entry requirements for the uni I wish to attend, but will the uni hesitate to accept me due to my problems?. Should I use my old PS? Should I ask my tutor to write my reference?If so, what should he mention? I feel like he doesn't really know me and as I had terrible attendance throughout the year he probably doesn't even remember me.

Help appreciated :smile:

If you know which uni you want to attend then get in touch with them ASAP and explain the situation and ask if they can offer you a place through clearing (clearing has already started for people who know their grades).

If they say yes then ask how they want you to apply - they may be able to wangle you in via a method called Record of Prior Acceptance (this is essentially a mini UCAS form that you send directly to the uni and they send on to UCAS - it means you can only apply to one uni but in your case that sounds like what you want to do). An RPA doesn't ask for a reference (although they'll need to see proof of your qualifications if you haven't had them signed off by a referee so make sure you've got your A level certificates and contact your current uni for an official transcript for the modules you passed in the first semester).
Reply 2
Failed my second year after retaking it and the University has asked me to find another course through clearing. Can I do it? Will my previous UCAS form still be valid? I have found a few courses. Do I have to wait until clearing starts to do it?
Original post by cool954
Failed my second year after retaking it and the University has asked me to find another course through clearing. Can I do it? Will my previous UCAS form still be valid? I have found a few courses. Do I have to wait until clearing starts to do it?

You need to make a new Ucas application unless the university will accept an RPA as detailed above. Just checking you are aware that you will not be entitled to student finance for the first two years of any new degree as you have already had (by the look of it) three years' finance. The formula is:

length of course + 1 - years already taken.
Thank you for the replies. Just found out I can apply without a reference. Wish me luck :smile:
Original post by JustLittleMe :)
Thank you for the replies. Just found out I can apply without a reference. Wish me luck :smile:

Yay! Good luck
Many universities wont know what vacancies they have until then, but those where they know already that they'll have space available will usually be happy to speak to applicants who already have their results.

A handful of universities will wait until August 14th because they like to consider applications all together.

All Scottish universities will release their clearing listings on the 5th August.

tbh when phoning universities I wouldn't mention the word clearing - if you have your results then simply say you have your results and are interested in entry into year [insert year] this autumn. If you say the word clearing then most people who answer the phones will assume you're an A level applicant and will give you the A level applicant information.
It is unlikely that universities will know where to lower their grade requirements to until they have the results for their applicants.

If you're applying now then you should focus on contacting universities where you meet their standard requirements.

Illness and high UMS don't mean anything at this point I'm afraid. Your illness should have been notified to your exam boards for them to make exceptions - and ideally you should have got your BBB results remarked or resat a few modules to try to get the extra few UMS and improve your grades.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending