The Student Room Group

Been offered a job, not sure if I should take it

Hi,

I have been offered a job, but I only applied because I was frustrated that I couldn't a job.

I don't really want the job but what happens if I get rejected by other jobs?

Thanks
Original post by stuser
Hi,

I have been offered a job, but I only applied because I was frustrated that I couldn't a job.

I don't really want the job but what happens if I get rejected by other jobs?

Thanks

A job is a job, and although it might not be what you want to do at this point in time, experience is key.

Many people are being rejected from jobs for not having enough experience in the role. Heck, I want to go into finance, teaching, or the military when I am older, yet I can't get any real experience for those. I've been in my job for almost three years now, in retail. It brings money in (which is obviously the priority), and gives me management skills/opportunities since I've been there long enough - transferable skills for later on in life in other careers.

So, although you don't want to do the job seeing as you don't like it, you should take it. If you're rejected from other jobs you're stuck, plus you can still look for other jobs and apply whilst you're in your current job :smile:
Reply 2
If you`re just looking for a part-time job, then I`d say take it, im finding it so hard to even find vacancies lol. Theres no guarantee you`ll be accepted for others. Why dont you want the job? Is it not what you`re looking for?
Reply 3
Original post by MalteseMalteser
A job is a job, and although it might not be what you want to do at this point in time, experience is key.

Many people are being rejected from jobs for not having enough experience in the role. Heck, I want to go into finance, teaching, or the military when I am older, yet I can't get any real experience for those. I've been in my job for almost three years now, in retail. It brings money in (which is obviously the priority), and gives me management skills/opportunities since I've been there long enough - transferable skills for later on in life in other careers.

So, although you don't want to do the job seeing as you don't like it, you should take it. If you're rejected from other jobs you're stuck, plus you can still look for other jobs and apply whilst you're in your current job :smile:

Hi,

I was offered this job as part of my placement year but I am not sure if I should take it.

Here are some points that are making me unsure about taking this job

It is for a technical support role - i.e. providing support to computer users, level 1,2,3 support. Sure, its experience, but I am not too sure if that is what I am after. I like programming and want to become a developer in the future.

There is only one person on my team. If he is absent - then I have to run the whole department on my own.

I am still a student, but I think what I learnt at university has no bearing or very little to the job. I am on a Computer Science degree, which is heavily dependent on software development.

The only upside is that I get paid £17K, but then again the money is not much of an issue. I am a student living with my family and I am good financially.

I recently had a few interviews with other companies for a more software development role. But I went through an agency and may most likely be paid the minimum wage. I feel that these jobs are more related to my future and aspirations. For example, I have the opportunity to create web based applications.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you go for the £17K technical support role or would you take maybe a £6K-£8K pay cut and do programming - that may benefit your dissertation and overall future?

I am very young and don't want to make the wrong decision
Reply 4
Original post by Mav455
If you`re just looking for a part-time job, then I`d say take it, im finding it so hard to even find vacancies lol. Theres no guarantee you`ll be accepted for others. Why dont you want the job? Is it not what you`re looking for?

Thanks for your response.

The job is for a technical support role which would involve in supporting users.

I prefer programming, and although I am a bit of a noob, I want to further improve on it.

The only upside to the technical support job is that I get paid £17K
Original post by stuser
Hi,

I was offered this job as part of my placement year but I am not sure if I should take it.

It is for a technical support role - i.e. providing support to computer users, level 1,2,3 support. Sure, its experience, but I am not too sure if that is what I am after. I like programming and want to become a developer in the future.

There is only one person on my team. If he is absent - then I have to run the whole department on my own.

I am still a student, but I think what I learnt at university has no bearing or very little to the job. I am on a Computer Science degree, which is heavily dependent on software development.

The only upside is that I get paid £17K, but then again the money is not much of an issue. I am a student living with my family and I am good financially.

I recently had a few interviews with other companies for a more software development role. But I went through an agency and may most likely be paid the minimum wage. I feel that these jobs are more related to my future and aspirations. For example, I have the opportunity to create web based applications.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you go for the £17K technical support role or would you take maybe a £6K-£8K pay cut and do programming - that may benefit your dissertation and overall future?

It's still good experience, and gets your foot in the door.
You could easily go from doing support to programming, surely. As long as you know your stuff?
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
It's still good experience, and gets your foot in the door.
You could easily go from doing support to programming, surely. As long as you know your stuff?

True, its experience, but its down to gut feeling.

I was asked in the interview if I could carry equipment such as printers? Isn't that against health and safety?

Also, the location doesn't look quite good and looks dull to me.

I know money can be an issue, but I feel that as a student, I can cope as I live with my parents and don't really have to pay rent :smile:

Whereas, with the programming role at the other company - it will allow me to develop my skills.

Thing is, I only have one offer - and I feel like rejecting it. What should I do?
Original post by stuser
Hi,

Well, let's look at the positives first:

1) You're guaranteed at least one placement, regardless if you fail with the other interviews.
2) Because of this, you are guaranteed at least some experience.

However, does this offer of a placement year have a deadline for replying to the offer? The reason I ask is that it might be worth taking the paycut if you're gonna do something you enjoy more and will benefit more from. On the other hand, these might get back to you after the deadline date of the current offer.

My advice is to wait for any job offers that you prefer, if they come through before the deadline. If they do come, then take it - you say money isn't an issue, you'd prefer it and it's more relevant, so it makes sense. On the other hand, if you get no offers before the deadline, then take the offer - it's better to be secured with a placement then holding out on hope :smile:
Original post by stuser
True, its experience, but its down to gut feeling.

I was asked in the interview if I could carry equipment such as printers? Isn't that against health and safety?

Also, the location doesn't look quite good and looks dull to me.

I know money can be an issue, but I feel that as a student, I can cope as I live with my parents and don't really have to pay rent :smile:

Whereas, with the programming role at the other company - it will allow me to develop my skills.

Thing is, I only have one offer - and I feel like rejecting it. What should I do?

I heard that programming can be a real drone unless you get into the 'interesting' stuff. At least with the support role, you will learn other transferable skills; whereas programming is fairly esoteric.
I know how you feel; I'm in the same position finding a part time job - I only need minimum wage; but I'm not sure what exactly id be happy doing, and for what organisation.
Location can be a big one too. Though If I was you, as you already have the job; I would probably take it - decent wage too. Finding another can be a lot of hassle... as long as it's reasonable. Besides, you can always jump the bandwagon if you think its not for you.
As for the printers; I think its ok as long as you follow H&S protocol such as proper body positioning lol... and don't lift anything stupid heavy.
Reply 9
Well, let's look at the positives first:

1) You're guaranteed at least one placement, regardless if you fail with the other interviews.
2) Because of this, you are guaranteed at least some experience.

However, does this offer of a placement year have a deadline for replying to the offer? The reason I ask is that it might be worth taking the paycut if you're gonna do something you enjoy more and will benefit more from. On the other hand, these might get back to you after the deadline date of the current offer.

My advice is to wait for any job offers that you prefer, if they come through before the deadline. If they do come, then take it - you say money isn't an issue, you'd prefer it and it's more relevant, so it makes sense. On the other hand, if you get no offers before the deadline, then take the offer - it's better to be secured with a placement then holding out on hope :smile:

Yeah, I ended up rejecting the offer...

I just felt it wasn't for me, and now I have no offers.

In a way, I feel stupid, but then again would I rather do I job for a year that I will not enjoy

I went to another interview recently, and I don't know the outcome until some time this week. This role is more related to my studies and future, but the pay is not great. I'm not in it for the money, but would you say I made a stupid decision to reject the offer I had?
Reply 10
Original post by hellodave5
I heard that programming can be a real drone unless you get into the 'interesting' stuff. At least with the support role, you will learn other transferable skills; whereas programming is fairly esoteric.
I know how you feel; I'm in the same position finding a part time job - I only need minimum wage; but I'm not sure what exactly id be happy doing, and for what organisation.
Location can be a big one too. Though If I was you, as you already have the job; I would probably take it - decent wage too. Finding another can be a lot of hassle... as long as it's reasonable. Besides, you can always jump the bandwagon if you think its not for you.
As for the printers; I think its ok as long as you follow H&S protocol such as proper body positioning lol... and don't lift anything stupid heavy.

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up rejecting the offer, as I felt that it just wasn't for me.

Even when I went to the interview, I answered some questions wrong and they seemed desperate to hire someone.

The role would involve me doing tech support on all three levels - but I feel that since there is only 1 person on my team - there will be more pressure.

I feel bad and stupid rejecting the offer, but should I regret this?
Original post by stuser
Thanks for the advice.

Even when I went to the interview, I answered some questions wrong and they seemed desperate to hire someone.

The role would involve me doing tech support on all three levels - but I feel that since there is only 1 person on my team - there will be more pressure.

Plenty more fish in the sea bro. Perhaps your intuition was right, and you may have not enjoyed the role.
The only downside now is finding something else :P
I have no idea what job role to do... argh, the choices (or lack of).
Original post by stuser
Thanks for the advice.

More pressure can be a bad thing if there's one person on the team, but then it means you can prove YOU are the reason for the successes of that day from the department.

I think you might regret it if you don't succeed in other interviews, but to be honest you've got nothing to regret. If you're not going to enjoy it, then you won't pay attention, you'll get no satisfaction out of it, and that's not really great to write on your CV. Heck, I've had the same job in retail part-time for three years and I'm looking to get another part-time job because I don't enjoy it!
Reply 13
More pressure can be a bad thing if there's one person on the team, but then it means you can prove YOU are the reason for the successes of that day from the department.

I think you might regret it if you don't succeed in other interviews, but to be honest you've got nothing to regret. If you're not going to enjoy it, then you won't pay attention, you'll get no satisfaction out of it, and that's not really great to write on your CV. Heck, I've had the same job in retail part-time for three years and I'm looking to get another part-time job because I don't enjoy it!

Thanks for your advice.

I am slightly dissapointed that I rejected the offer, but I just felt it wasn't for me since day 1.

The interviewer was slightly late, the environment and area was bad (there is a cemetery nearby and full of druggies).

Even after the interview, I didn't feel right.
You better take that job man. Its already tough as it is to get a part time job with minimum wage. Even if you don't like the job, at the end of the day, you'll gain some experience which you can put on your CV for better jobs. Just take it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending