Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English, and placing commas correctly. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I Know this may not make much sense, as I've types in a rush. I'm hoping I have applied commas correctly, if mistakes are detected then please mention it.

Many individuals today feel the need to be prejudice, and make assumption way before they get to know a person in depth. Is racism a problem today? Yes, it takes place in our everyday life, causing havoc between many people and disrupting life of most people. Cant it be stopped? Maybe if we all stop being so stubborn, and uneducated. Ignorance comes from an uneducated point of view, therefore it's not valid. Education can seriously change a persons mind set, and can teach them respect, as well as basic knowledge that they may need later on in life. We need to acknowledged that we all are equal and will continue to be equal forever. The shade of our skin should not separate us, but should be an opportunity of education, a sign of knowledge. We may be from different countries, yet still on the same planet. Rememberer that.

(Original post by Highfiveyou)
      I Know this may not make much sense, as I've types in a rush. I'm hoping I have applied commas correctly, if mistakes are detected then please mention it.

Many individuals today feel the need to be prejudice, and make assumption way before they get to know a person in depth. Is racism a problem today? Yes, it takes place in our everyday life, causing havoc between many people and disrupting life of most people. Cant it be stopped? Maybe if we all stop being so stubborn, and uneducated. Ignorance comes from an uneducated point of view, therefore it's not valid. Education can seriously change a persons mind set, and can teach them respect, as well as basic knowledge that they may need later on in life. We need to acknowledged that we all are equal and will continue to be equal forever. The shade of our skin should not separate us, but should be an opportunity of education, a sign of knowledge. We may be from different countries, yet still on the same planet. Rememberer that.
      comma after 'today', comma after 'assumption'

ReputationRep:
      comma after today? because its an introductory phrase? Am I right?

if I put comma after assumptions, then will that not be comma splicing? elaborate why, so I can understand why. Is it to mark off unnecessary elements from the sentence, or to show importance?

Thank you.

if I put comma after assumptions, then will that not be comma splicing? elaborate why, so I can understand why. Is it to mark off unnecessary elements from the sentence, or to show importance?

Thank you.
        Yes, after the intro a comma needed I'm not sure about the comma after 'assumptions' though, reading the sentence, I think it's to show importance?:confused:

ReputationRep:
        okay thanks arfah

ReputationRep:
        Why have you made so many threads?

ReputationRep:
        Because I felt the need to.

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
        Please do not listen to any grammar advice from arfah, as they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
        So what do you have to say about my use of commas? I want to know if I've made any errors. That's if you're a comma pro!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ronove)
        Please do not listen to any grammar advice from arfah, as they clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Bloody hell.
        So do you think my use of commas is highly incorrect? What you opinion of my paragraph above. Have unused commas correctly?

ReputationRep:
        What's your* I used*

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by stillsoul)
        Why have you made so many threads?
        Why are you the thread police? Come and arrest me bud.

ReputationRep:

Many individuals today feel the need to be prejudiced, and make assumptions way before they get to know a person in depth. Is racism a problem today? Yes. It takes place in our everyday life, causing havoc between many people and disrupting the lives of most people. Can't it be stopped? Maybe if we all stop being so stubborn and uneducated. Ignorance comes from an uneducated point of view and therefore it is not valid. Education can seriously change a person's mindset, and can teach them respect, as well as basic knowledge that they may need later on in life. We need to acknowledge that we are all equal and will continue to be equal forever. The shade of our skin should not separate us, but should be an opportunity of education, a sign of knowledge. We may be from different countries, yet still on the same planet. Remember that.

So what do you have to say about my use of commas? I want to know if I've made any errors. That's if you're a comma pro!
        It's difficult, because commas (as far as I'm concerned) are often more a matter of taste than hard and fast rules. Your text reads like a speech (as I would guess it is supposed to) and can therefore get away with more commas than a formal written text, since the commas indicate extra pauses for effect.

I expect I use fewer commas than some people in most situations. I've changed your text in the quote above to how I would use commas in it though, to give you an idea. Your use of commas is fairly in line with my own use of them though. I've also corrected a couple of typing/spelling/other errors but have tried to leave the text more or less how you wrote it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by G8D)
        It's just a bad piece of writing. Scrap it.

If you must keep it... prejudiced​.
        The paragraph was made on purpose so I could show you guys how I would use commas. Ignore the context I know it's quite odd. Have I used commas correctly? Yes or no?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by G8D)
        It's just a bad piece of writing. Scrap it.

If you must keep it... prejudiced​.
        I think that's potentially very unfair if you don't know the OP's level of English and the purpose of the text. I'm assuming the OP is not a native speaker, and the text may well have been cobbled together rather quickly for homework or for TSR, purely for the sake of punctuation practice or similar.

ReputationRep:
        I think that's potentially very unfair if you don't know the OP's level of English and the purpose of the text. I'm assuming the OP is not a native speaker, and the text may well have been cobbled together rather quickly for homework or for TSR, purely for the sake of punctuation practice or similar.
        Exactly you tell him/her! So was my commas placed correctly? And english is my first language. Like I said it was typed up fast, and that is why I said ignore the context.

ReputationRep:
        Exactly you tell him/her! So was my commas placed correctly? And english is my first language. Like I said it was typed up fast, and that is why I said ignore the context.
        If you compare the version of your text quoted in my earlier post with the one in your OP you will see the (limited) changes I've made. IIRC I got rid of one or two commas and replaced another with a full stop. You have more important things than commas to worry about - you make a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes and use words that don't go with other words, when the obvious ones should come relatively easily (eg it didn't make sense to talk about 'havoc', but since you chose that word, the word to go with it would be 'wreaking', not 'causing', and so on).

ReputationRep:
        If you compare the version of your text quoted in my earlier post with the one in your OP you will see the (limited) changes I've made. IIRC I got rid of one or two commas and replaced another with a full stop. You have more important things than commas to worry about - you make a lot of spelling/grammar mistakes and use words that don't go with other words, when the obvious ones should come relatively easily (eg it didn't make sense to talk about 'havoc', but since you chose that word, the word to go with it would be 'wreaking', not 'causing', and so on).
        Okay thanks! I know my grammar is bad, that is because I typed up fast. My main worry is comma splicing.

Any useful tip for comma use? Any methods you use in essays, or may have used?

ReputationRep:
        Okay thanks! I know my grammar is bad, that is because I typed up fast. My main worry is comma splicing.

Any useful tip for comma use? Any methods you use in essays, or may have used?
        It's really not something you should be needing to think about when you get to the stage of writing university essays (for example), unless you're hopelessly illiterate and unable to learn. Just read. Read novels and non-fiction especially. You will naturally pick up grammar rules (and many other useful and interesting things). Be slightly more cautious when it comes to paying attention to grammar and punctuation on the majority of news websites and blogs and things though, adequate proofreading no longer seems to be a priority (for quite a wide range of sources).

ReputationRep:
        Okay thanks for that!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.