Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life Insurance - do you have it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a mortgage and my income in my industry is very small. But I still want life insurance. Just wondering if any of you guys have it?
    I have been given a quote of <£5 a day via comparethemarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farmgirl1990)
    I don't have a mortgage and my income in my industry is very small. But I still want life insurance. Just wondering if any of you guys have it?
    I have been given a quote of <£5 a day via comparethemarket.
    I thought it was only something you had if you had dependants? Like a partner/children who would struggle for money if you died?
    My dad actually recently stopped his life insurance now he's retired and paid off the mortgage and my brother and I are both grown up (28 and 23).

ReputationRep:
    I get life insurance through my job. I wouldn't pay for it myself though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would I get life insurance? Unless I can get the amount that I paid for (say £1 million) in insurance if I cashed out (and I doubt I could) then I'm not getting it.

ReputationRep:
      I bought a few policies when I was in my late 20s as I worked a lot on oil rigs and fields as well as had children who were dependent on me.

Should you have a policy? Depends on what circumstances it would pay out, many of them are tied in with a medical insurance benefit thus you could use it to go on the NHS as a private patient. Some also will cover you when you travel.

ReputationRep:
      I have life and critical illness insurance to cover the mortgage as my partner would struggle to afford it on their own.
      My work also has a death in service benefit as well plus my pension would pay out.

ReputationRep:
      I dont have it and i dont need it as i have no dependents.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      No I don't. I've thought about it before, as I have a husband and children, but at the end of the day I see it a bit like tempting fate!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
      No I don't. I've thought about it before, as I have a husband and children, but at the end of the day I see it a bit like tempting fate!
      This is stupid. I'd rather tempt fate to knock me off (which isn't even a thing) and know that my family would be financially supported than get in a car tomorrow knowing that some idiot could wipe me out and leave my family financially ruined on top of their grief!

Anybody with a mortgage or dependents should absolutely be insured.
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hedgeman49)
      This is stupid. I'd rather tempt fate to knock me off (which isn't even a thing) and know that my family would be financially supported than get in a car tomorrow knowing that some idiot could wipe me out and leave my family financially ruined on top of their grief!

I don't have a mortgage so it's not that dire.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the info guys. I work with wildlife and rehabilitate them, as well as capture occasionally... so injury is a very real prospect for me. I shall wait until I have a mortgage or children, I think.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hedgeman49)

I have a mortgage but no dependents. How is it in my interests to make myself poorer, betting against my life?

The money is on average better just being saved.

ReputationRep:
      i havent got one currently. i'll probably get one after i complete uni since my family will be relying on my income by then

ReputationRep:
      I don't have it yet but would most likely get one when I start working. My husband does. I think it's life and critical insurance and something else tied in with medical insurance. Hated signing papers for it but apparently I was being stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.