Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL or LSBU to study Construction and Project Management Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice on a decision I have to make.

I have applied, and got places, on the following two courses:

- UCL: Project and Enterprise Management MSc
    - LSBU: Construction Project Management MSc

Obviously UCL has a great reputation, however, I was wondering if studying at LSBU may give me a more 'practical' and rounded overview to project management in the construction industry, rather than UCL, which may have a more academic focus?

My main concern with UCL is that I will spend two years writing essays, and therefore not gain the necessary construction knowledge needed to excel in this industry.

I'd appreciate any insight on either one of the courses,

Thank you in advance,

Isabella

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually know what Construction Project management entails?

I can tell you from over a decade of experience that it consists primarily of:

-Reading nonsensical documents written by architects and designers
    -Producing your own nonsensical documents based on these.
    -Carefully writing (cut & pasting) 200 page long method statements and project plans
    -Producing timelines
    -Re-writing the timelines
    -Re-re-writing the timelines
    -Listening to subcontractors lie to to you about meeting the timelines
    -Lying to the client about why you have missed the timelines
    -Allocating your huge resources at the beginning of the project and going home at 2pm every day
    -Allocating your non-existent resources at the end of your project and working round the clock with a bunch of Slovaks that you have never met before
    -Making excuses as to why 90% of the works have been completed contrary to the specification, which was in itself extremely vague.
    -Using minor failings to hide major mistakes

All in all - go to UCL because it's a much better university. There's nothing that you will learn about going to nonsense 4-hour meetings that can be better taught at South Bank.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed that actually you don't need a degree in this - you could get most of what you need from a short course in project management, and it would cost you far less - but as far as Unis go, UCL wins every time, South Bank is now little more than a 6th Form college in terms of academic credibility.

ReputationRep:
    hi isn't UCL a one year course ?

ReputationRep:
    Having been very close to project managers in the past, I can tell you that a PMP or Prince2 certificate in addition to work experience is more valuable than any master's degree you could get in project management.

Have you done any project management work in the past? If you have and you're still opting to pursue this path, then kudos to you. It does make sense for those whose first degrees are completely irrelevant to take such courses to convert their career paths (in a way proving interest in a subject).

I also can vouch to every single thing Clip has mentioned. It's a very stressful job of being constantly, simultaneously hammered and hammering people.

At any rate, my vote goes to UCL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.