UCL or LSBU to study Construction and Project Management

Watch
IsabellaNoates
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice on a decision I have to make.

I have applied, and got places, on the following two courses:

- UCL: Project and Enterprise Management MSc
- LSBU: Construction Project Management MSc

Obviously UCL has a great reputation, however, I was wondering if studying at LSBU may give me a more 'practical' and rounded overview to project management in the construction industry, rather than UCL, which may have a more academic focus?

My main concern with UCL is that I will spend two years writing essays, and therefore not gain the necessary construction knowledge needed to excel in this industry.

I'd appreciate any insight on either one of the courses,

Thank you in advance,

Isabella
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you actually know what Construction Project management entails?

I can tell you from over a decade of experience that it consists primarily of:

-Reading nonsensical documents written by architects and designers
-Producing your own nonsensical documents based on these.
-Carefully writing (cut & pasting) 200 page long method statements and project plans
-Producing timelines
-Re-writing the timelines
-Re-re-writing the timelines
-Listening to subcontractors lie to to you about meeting the timelines
-Lying to the client about why you have missed the timelines
-Allocating your huge resources at the beginning of the project and going home at 2pm every day
-Allocating your non-existent resources at the end of your project and working round the clock with a bunch of Slovaks that you have never met before
-Making excuses as to why 90% of the works have been completed contrary to the specification, which was in itself extremely vague.
-Using minor failings to hide major mistakes

All in all - go to UCL because it's a much better university. There's nothing that you will learn about going to nonsense 4-hour meetings that can be better taught at South Bank.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed that actually you don't need a degree in this - you could get most of what you need from a short course in project management, and it would cost you far less - but as far as Unis go, UCL wins every time, South Bank is now little more than a 6th Form college in terms of academic credibility.
INDUSUDU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi isn't UCL a one year course ?
akasyyabih
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Having been very close to project managers in the past, I can tell you that a PMP or Prince2 certificate in addition to work experience is more valuable than any master's degree you could get in project management.

Have you done any project management work in the past? If you have and you're still opting to pursue this path, then kudos to you. It does make sense for those whose first degrees are completely irrelevant to take such courses to convert their career paths (in a way proving interest in a subject).

I also can vouch to every single thing Clip has mentioned. It's a very stressful job of being constantly, simultaneously hammered and hammering people.

At any rate, my vote goes to UCL.
shifakhan98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Clip)
Do you actually know what Construction Project management entails?

I can tell you from over a decade of experience that it consists primarily of:

-Reading nonsensical documents written by architects and designers
-Producing your own nonsensical documents based on these.
-Carefully writing (cut & pasting) 200 page long method statements and project plans
-Producing timelines
-Re-writing the timelines
-Re-re-writing the timelines
-Listening to subcontractors lie to to you about meeting the timelines
-Lying to the client about why you have missed the timelines
-Allocating your huge resources at the beginning of the project and going home at 2pm every day
-Allocating your non-existent resources at the end of your project and working round the clock with a bunch of Slovaks that you have never met before
-Making excuses as to why 90% of the works have been completed contrary to the specification, which was in itself extremely vague.
-Using minor failings to hide major mistakes

All in all - go to UCL because it's a much better university. There's nothing that you will learn about going to nonsense 4-hour meetings that can be better taught at South Bank.
Hello! I am planning to do Msc in Construction Management/ Project Management. I’ve got conditional offer letters from Kingston University and University of Westminster. I’m very much confused. Can you please help me suggest or give an insight about the course in these Universities?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by shifakhan98)
Hello! I am planning to do Msc in Construction Management/ Project Management. I’ve got conditional offer letters from Kingston University and University of Westminster. I’m very much confused. Can you please help me suggest or give an insight about the course in these Universities?
Very poor reputations as universities. Can you get away with doing the RICS Certificate in Construction Project Management on top of your undergrad? It’s a fraction of the price, and 6 months remote learning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (192)
55.65%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (48)
13.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.28%
I haven't started researching yet (19)
5.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.35%

Watched Threads