Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys only: Would you date your ex's very close friend? Watch

The title says it all. Would you date your the closest friend of your ex?

Some things to take into account :
    -She has fancied you for a while but never made a move.
    -During the breakup she stayed neutral and didn't take any sides.
    -Due to her not taking any sides the ex isn't on speaking terms with her.
    -Get on quite well for the most part.
    -Not known if she will start talking to the ex again.

Therefore with that in mind what would it be for you?

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, I don't understand why people have an issue with dating a friend's ex. They shouldn't have made, or let them become an ex in the first place if they cared that much. This girl hasn't been trying to get you throughout the relationship, and it's great that she didn't take sides (that's playground stuff in my opinion- unless you cheated) If you guys have feelings for each other and fancying giving it a try, why not? If you do end up getting with her I must say that you should avoid rubbing it in your ex's face. That'll just make things worse. I'm not saying you should hide it, but try not to hang out with her, or make things public to her.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. No actual reason why not, no unwritten rule about that one. SWING AWAY GEORGE!

ReputationRep:
    Depends how serious their relationship was. If it was a real long one then I think id stay away.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because she has a cracking pair of tits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    In all honesty, I don't understand why people have an issue with dating a friend's ex. They shouldn't have made, or let them become an ex in the first place if they cared that much. This girl hasn't been trying to get you throughout the relationship, and it's great that she didn't take sides (that's playground stuff in my opinion- unless you cheated) If you guys have feelings for each other and fancying giving it a try, why not? If you do end up getting with her I must say that you should avoid rubbing it in your ex's face. That'll just make things worse. I'm not saying you should hide it, but try not to hang out with her, or make things public to her.
    Sometimes you care about someone, but you are just not compatible. It's perfectly reasonable for the relationship not to work, but to be upset when they start dating someone you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Depends how serious their relationship was. If it was a real long one then I think id stay away.
    OP said 'your ex's friend', not 'your friend's ex'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    OP said 'your ex's friend', not 'your friend's ex'.
    Oh well my bad! :lol:

In that case date away!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The title says it all. Would you date your the closest friend of your ex?

Some things to take into account :
    -She has fancied you for a while but never made a move.
    -During the breakup she stayed neutral and didn't take any sides.
    -Due to her not taking any sides the ex isn't on speaking terms with her.
    -Get on quite well for the most part.
    -Not known if she will start talking to the ex again.

Therefore with that in mind what would it be for you?
    I feel like this is me, my friend stopped talking to me

What is the ex called? I might know her

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I've never been in one, I wouldn't know. Maybe, if the ex was alright with it? Idk...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Novascope)
    I accidentally forgot to mention it in the OP but the ex is trying to reconcile as well.

The girl in question isn't my friend's ex but she is a friend of my ex-girlfriend.

The ex cheated and moved on with someone but it didn't work out and has been trying to get back together. She has no idea her one of her closest friend has been actively trying to pursue something.

There is a problem as this girl is exactly the type that likes things to be above board and in public therefore if we do end up getting together it won't be too long before my ex finds out.

(Original post by Blind Ferret)
    Yes. No actual reason why not, no unwritten rule about that one. SWING AWAY GEORGE!
    I would have thought there would be an equivalent bro code rule about it. :lol:

(Original post by Malevolent)
    7 years.

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    Sometimes you care about someone, but you are just not compatible. It's perfectly reasonable for the relationship not to work, but to be upset when they start dating someone you know.
    I do believe the ex will not react positively when she finds out and I think she might try to do something to sabotage things.

I feel like this is me, my friend stopped talking to me

What is the ex called? I might know her
    You are the ex or the ex's friend?

(Original post by Jarnorth)
    Seeing as I've never been in one, I wouldn't know. Maybe, if the ex was alright with it? Idk...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Difficult to say but it is unlikely the ex would be alright with it.

ReputationRep:
    I accidentally forgot to mention it in the OP but the ex is trying to reconcile as well.

The girl in question isn't my friend's ex but she is a friend of my ex-girlfriend.

The ex cheated and moved on with someone but it didn't work out and has been trying to get back together. She has no idea her one of her closest friend has been actively trying to pursue something.

There is a problem as this girl is exactly the type that likes things to be above board and in public therefore if we do end up getting together it won't be too long before my ex finds out.

I would have thought there would be an equivalent bro code rule about it. :lol:

7 years.

I do believe the ex will not react positively when she finds out and I think she might try to do something to sabotage things.

You are the ex or the ex's friend?

Difficult to say but it is unlikely the ex would be alright with it.
    She cheated, therefore you should disregard her feelings completely. If you want to date her friend do it and don't even consider how she feels (srs).

-bump-

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.