Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Director or Producer Watch

ReputationRep:
    Who is your best film director or producer?

Mine is the one and only Tim Burton.

The reason why is because of his dark and ominous films I just love them.

Who is yours and why?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Alfred Hitchcock because I think he was a genius at creating a suspenseful atmosphere in a movie and I have always enjoyed his movies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Martin Scorsese - creates exciting, fun movies. Stanley Kubrick - deep movies, more of an artist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Alfred Hitchcock because I think he was a genius at creating a suspenseful atmosphere in a movie and I have always enjoyed his movies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes he was a close second after Tim Burton, for the same reasons he is a master

ReputationRep:
    Dario Argento

Because when I first saw his "peak" films it was such a unique and compelling experience that no other director seems to have replicated or recreated. Besides his films have influenced a multitude of directors and films such as loads of references in early Saw films, directors such as Quentin Tarantino and Wes Craven also frequently referencing his films etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just one? I don't know if that's possible.

I'll just go with a director who's work I have been enjoying a lot recently: Wes Anderson.

I just find his style so unique and I really like the kind of humour in his films. I only discovered him after seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel at the cinema but I've been catching up with a lot of his other films recently.

ReputationRep:
    Quentin Tarantino his style of film is completely unique and genius

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Scorsese

Rest in no order

Michael Mann
    Coen Brothers
    Spielberg
    Fincher
    Nolan
    Ridley Scott
    Tarantino

ReputationRep:
    Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese are also very good shouts

ReputationRep:
    Danny Boyle is up there
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wes Anderson for me. David Lynch, too.

ReputationRep:
    There are many too choose from, and the different eras make it impossible for me to give an opinion on my 'best' director.

Right now the one director that I would absolutely watch, with no advance knowledge whatsoever of what the film was about, would be Christopher Nolan.

ReputationRep:
    Baz Luhrmann, Quentin Tarantino and Tim Burton without a shed of doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Tarantino. Pulp Fiction is just the best. The Coen brothers are great too, and Steven Spielberg's been pumping them out as a director and producer pretty consistently for about a million years now.
    Not really keen on Tim Burton. His style has the marmite factor and it just doesn't work for me but ho hum.
    OH! Ridley Scott's awesome too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jord089)
    Who is your best film director or producer?

Mine is the one and only Tim Burton.

The reason why is because of his dark and ominous films I just love them.

Who is yours and why?
    Burton
    Kubrick
    Scorsese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrfletch)
    OH! Ridley Scott's awesome too!
    Ridley Scott was awesome. Sadly he seems to have lost his touch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Ridley Scott was awesome. Sadly he seems to have lost his touch.
    Eh, I suppose when you've been doing it as long as he has you can get a bit exhausted creatively.

ReputationRep:
    Danny Boyle- he makes amazing film after amazing film- Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours- even though I don't like Slumdog Millionaire you can't deny he's got a great track record.

EDIT: Oh, let's not forget Sergio Leone here either.

ReputationRep:
    Scorsese first and foremost. Tarantino is also good.

ReputationRep:
    Favourite director would be Robert Downey Sr. right now. If we're talking current, though...then it'd be Paul Thomas Anderson. There are loads others, though. It's hard to pick one.

Favourite producer would be Megan Ellison, she got 'The Master' made and a lot of other great stuff like 'Her'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.