Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group F SF1: The Dark Knight v 4. Gladiator Watch

• View Poll Results: Group F Semi Final 1
    The Dark Knight
    63.64%
    Gladiator
    36.36%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Dark Knight (2008)
    Chris Nolan's take on the caped crusader turned Batman into the protagonist of a gritty crime drama played for realism and atmosphere, with an unforgettable performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker. The result is a film that demands your attention.

The film that announced Russell Crowe as a genuine movie A-lister and saw the departure of the great Oliver Reed (who died during filming), Gladiator is a multi-Oscar winning, full-blooded, sword and sandals epic story of love, treachery, corruption and revenge. Crowe is outstanding in the title role, as is Joaquin Phoenix as his nemesis, and Rome and the Colosseum have never looked grander than in this modern classic.

ReputationRep:
    For me, Gladiator is better by FAR. I always thought the batman films are extremely overrated, not that great really. Gladiator is a timeless classic. Can't beat russell crowe.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    For me, Gladiator is better by FAR. I always thought the batman films are extremely overrated, not that great really. Gladiator is a timeless classic. Can't beat russell crowe.
    Les Mis says hi

But otherwise, I agree with what you said.

ReputationRep:
    Dark Knight FTW. It should take this round easily.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To vote against Gladiator is blasphemous. Thankfully with 11 Oscar nominations and the record for most weeks at number 1 the wider world agrees.

Gladiator and Titanic are on another level to all other films.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Gladiator is probably the better film. But it isn't flawless. I prefer The Dark Knight, which again has flaws, mainly because it offers an entire new take on both the possibilities of a film genre and a world view. Gladiator is the epic that the Dark Knight never wanted to be, so it's a strange match up that is unfair to both films.

In short; I prefer films that make me think. Gladiator does not do this, but is beautiful. The Dark Knight does, and is terrible in its beauty. That's my taste so there goes my vote.

ReputationRep:
    Both are 10/10's for me. Bloody Toy Story 3 or Nemo will go through but two of Goodfellas/Pulp/Gladiator/Dark Knight will go out.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't Gladiator winning?

Are you not entertained?!

ReputationRep:
    I think this is my first protest vote. I can't stand the popularity of the Dark Knight films; it annoys me a bit because they're okay. That's it. They're not cinematic masterpieces, they're nothing too special, they're just another instalment in the ever-longer line of generic, copy-paste superhero movies which literally plague our cinemas (and I know, because I work in one)

So, even though I think Gladiator is itself overrated... I will have my vengeance!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight - another fine Nolan, but there's a better fanedit.

Gladiator - massively overrated, the Braveheart of its year (and that's not a complement!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    The Dark Knight - another fine Nolan, but there's a better fanedit.

Gladiator - massively overrated, the Braveheart of its year (and that's not a complement!)

There's a better fan edit of the dark knight?

How have i never heard of this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You want "The Dark Knight: Remixed by Jorge".

THE DARK KNIGHT is really Harvey’s movie. Neither Batman nor the Joker are changed by the end of the movie to the extent that Harvey is transformed.
    This is the basic insight - a film should be about the most interesting moments of someone's life and whose life is that in this film? It's Harvey Dent, so it should be centred on him.

And since this is Christopher Nolan, I decide that for a NEW ride and to address the Two-Face issue I would completely eschew the linear storytelling and replace it with Nolan’s own style from MEMENTO. The film is now structured backwards and forwards, so that Harvey’s past and future appear to be interconnected from both ends, directly affecting his present.
    The film’s events unfold in two separate, alternating narratives. One in color, and the other in black and white.
    The black and white sections are told in Forward Chronological order.
    The color sequences are in Reverse Chronological order.

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight. We will teach you to become truly invisible. They both deal with death of a family and righteousness don't they. Gladiator though is much much more believable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.