Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a bit stuck. I've applied for uni at derby to study law. I didn't really know what to do as I don't really have any interests or talents so I just thought I would stick with something that could potentially end me up in a high, well paid job. That was stupid. I've struggled my way through school and college, in school I had good grades in the end but college, as we know is much harder. I've been studying politics, history and world development. Completely random subjects. I'm not really passionate about them or any subject really, so law was just picked out of a hat and I thought I would take the risk. As uni is only round the corner (September) I'm starting to panic. I don't think that it's going to be for me. I don't want to risk taking a course I don't know I like, in a place I've never been. I also live in wales and derby is in England, which adds to the fear. Does anyone have any suggestions I have no idea what to do. I don't want to back out and sit on my arse for a year, I'm not like that.

ReputationRep:
    The main thing you must do in your situation is brew yourself some tea or coffee and breath

Now, perhaps you are not interested in any subjects, but come September, that might change. I live in Canada, and have never even been to the UK and am going to uni there too, and I’m just as bit as worried as you. But what can you do other than hope for the best? I risk not even getting my visa because of the damn requirements, and I don’t want to stay home for a year either. Consider yourself lucky that at least you’re actually going. But staying a year behind doesn’t mean you’re lazy or anything.

Personally, if you feel like law isn’t for you--then don’t.do.it. I’m not trying to get you to stay behind or anything but if you feel like you’re going to go through the rest of your life working a job you don’t like, then it is not worth it. Your happiness is most important!!! My passion is horses, but what work can I really get studying them? My second passion is criminology, so I’m going to go study that and then find my way back to the animals I love. Perhaps you need to do a bit of searching around, find your real calling? Maybe do law, and then go into something else, something you care about. But do not be afraid!!!! Look up social science related subjects/careers who knows maybe you’ll find something you really enjoy. And if uni isn’t for you, then it simply isn’t. Take the time to think it through.

I’d say give uni a chance. At least for a few months. If you’re not happy, then drop out. The world isn’t going to stop. Take the time to find something that really suits you. I believe that you will eventually discover something that you want to do for the rest of your life. But it doesn’t have to be right now. Best of luck and remember to think positive!!!!! *sending lots and lots of virtual support!!!*
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Moved to Applications and UCAS

ReputationRep:
    Aw, it makes me sad to see that so many people just would do courses for the well highly paid money! You should prize and enjoy your youth years because you wont be able to relive the years about suppose to be having fun at college and university and have a brilliant time! What other A-levels have you taken? Is it possible to try it out for a few months, however if you do not like it just "leave" (I don't know if thats the right word to use or "swap" xD) and see if you could put other A-levels to good use with something you ENJOY!!!

ReputationRep:
    I took history, world development and politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bridgey)
    I took history, world development and politics
    Was there ever a career that you thought you'd enjoy? Or a subject you loved when you were younger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Was there ever a career that you thought you'd enjoy? Or a subject you loved when you were younger?
    I know it sounds stupid but not really, I've never known what I want to do in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delia96)
    The main thing you must do in your situation is brew yourself some tea or coffee and breath

Now, perhaps you are not interested in any subjects, but come September, that might change. I live in Canada, and have never even been to the UK and am going to uni there too, and I’m just as bit as worried as you. But what can you do other than hope for the best? I risk not even getting my visa because of the damn requirements, and I don’t want to stay home for a year either. Consider yourself lucky that at least you’re actually going. But staying a year behind doesn’t mean you’re lazy or anything.

Personally, if you feel like law isn’t for you--then don’t.do.it. I’m not trying to get you to stay behind or anything but if you feel like you’re going to go through the rest of your life working a job you don’t like, then it is not worth it. Your happiness is most important!!! My passion is horses, but what work can I really get studying them? My second passion is criminology, so I’m going to go study that and then find my way back to the animals I love. Perhaps you need to do a bit of searching around, find your real calling? Maybe do law, and then go into something else, something you care about. But do not be afraid!!!! Look up social science related subjects/careers who knows maybe you’ll find something you really enjoy. And if uni isn’t for you, then it simply isn’t. Take the time to think it through.

I’d say give uni a chance. At least for a few months. If you’re not happy, then drop out. The world isn’t going to stop. Take the time to find something that really suits you. I believe that you will eventually discover something that you want to do for the rest of your life. But it doesn’t have to be right now. Best of luck and remember to think positive!!!!! *sending lots and lots of virtual support!!!*
    Thank you good luck with what you do, think its awesome you are coming all the way from Canada!!

ReputationRep:
    I know it sounds stupid but not really, I've never known what I want to do in the future
    That isn't stupid at all. I'm 27 and just figuring out what I want. Everyone is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    That isn't stupid at all. I'm 27 and just figuring out what I want. Everyone is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad to hear that, its reassuring to know I'm not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a bit stuck. I've applied for uni at derby to study law. I didn't really know what to do as I don't really have any interests or talents so I just thought I would stick with something that could potentially end me up in a high, well paid job. That was stupid. I've struggled my way through school and college, in school I had good grades in the end but college, as we know is much harder. I've been studying politics, history and world development. Completely random subjects. I'm not really passionate about them or any subject really, so law was just picked out of a hat and I thought I would take the risk. As uni is only round the corner (September) I'm starting to panic. I don't think that it's going to be for me. I don't want to risk taking a course I don't know I like, in a place I've never been. I also live in wales and derby is in England, which adds to the fear. Does anyone have any suggestions I have no idea what to do. I don't want to back out and sit on my arse for a year, I'm not like that.
    From hearing the experiences of others who studied it Law is not a degree you want to take for the sake of it. I would honestly take a gap year in your position. It doesn't have to be a year spent sitting on your arse- you can travel, work or volunteer or a combination to make the year really worthwhile.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.