Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group G SF2: Pulp Fiction v Goodfellas Watch

• View Poll Results: Group G Semi Final 2
    Pulp fiction
    71.11%
    Goodfellas
    28.89%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Pulp Fiction (1994)
    In a year packed with quality releases (three of which appear in this competition), Pulp Fiction managed both commercial and critical acclaim, landing the Palme D'Or from Cannes. Quentin Tarantino's most celebrated film, it plays fast and loose with the narrative structure, is packed with self-referential humour and larger-than-life characters, and features some of the biggest actors of the time, including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta and Uma Thurman.

Goodfellas (1990)
    This crime film by Martin Scorsese is the perfect blend of style and substance. With a great soundtrack and incredible tracking shots, the film has retained an iconic look and feel that few films can rival, the film focuses on the rise and fall of mobster and FBI informant Henry Hill.

ReputationRep:
    pulp fiction, for sure. because of samuel jackson.

ReputationRep:
    Probably my two favourite films ever. Sorry Scorsese, going for Tarantino's masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    Went for Pulp Fiction. It's not my favourite film but i reckon it's better than goodfellas.

ReputationRep:
    Too many classic lines from Pulp Fiction for it not to win.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't really like pulp fiction much I'll probably have to watch it again if everyone is saying it's amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Didn't really like pulp fiction much I'll probably have to watch it again if everyone is saying it's amazing
    There's loads of little touches in the film which are just great, little Easter eggs, if you will, that you don't notice first time around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarcasmrules)
    There's loads of little touches in the film which are just great, little Easter eggs, if you will, that you don't notice first time around
    Oh cool, I'll try to Netflix it before the end of this poll l

ReputationRep:
    Whyyyyyyyy

I feel like I have to go with Pulp, absolutely adore both though. Both of these would make a semi easily if it was my own tournament
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pulp Fiction - Tarantino's best, it survives him being in it.

Goodfellas - it's very very good, but is it Scorsese's sixth or seventh best?

ReputationRep:
    This was difficult. I'm not a /huge/ fan of either film (they're solid 8/10's for me), yet I was torn. On the one hand, I did find the violence in Goodfellas a bit excessive, which is rare for me (the film itself and how it's made is stellar). On the other hand, Tarantino's style annoys me, and the violence in Pulp is also excessive, although not to the extent I found in Goodfellas.

In the end, I grudgingly went for Pulp because it's a more outright entertaining film on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Pulp Fiction - Tarantino's best, it survives him being in it.

Goodfellas - it's very very good, but is it Scorsese's sixth or seventh best?
    Think that shows who is the better director, if Scorsese's sixth best film (I'm not sure where I'd place it in my own list but behind King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and Raging Bull) is better than Tarantino's best film!

I like Pulp Fiction, as I do Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but I've not been a fan of Tarantino's work since (including the films he tries to disown). My problem with him tends to be that his only frame of reference is really other films, and as someone mentioned his films are full of 'easter eggs' or nods/references to other films, but I'm not sure whether that's enough to make something a great film in itself.

He also seems to write dialogue in such a singular voice, whether it's a man or woman, the second world war or the wild west which of course identifies a film as a Tarantino one but I also find quite jarring.

I just love Goodfella's, and I for one find myself quoting that film a lot more
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I think the answer to 'who's the best?' is obvious!

But I'm happy to say 'Pulp Fiction is better than Goodfellas', very very good though that is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.