Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Real talk- relationships, marriage, religion and love Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a post on my feelings, emotions and views towards what our society calls love. I do not mean to offend anyone with this as this is just my OWN personal view and there is no intent for harming someone. Okay let's go I'm going to be writing my thoughts...
    Does anyone else feel how I do? I'm a 16 year old boy living in England and I have been raised a muslim. Personally I don't believe in my religion and don't think it is for me. Obviously I havn't mentioned any of this to my parents out of fear. But that's a different story. My problem lies with marriage as this is one of my fears being born a muslim as I know my parents will select a pool of candidates for me to meet and choose. I hate the way it's done! all of it! Why can't I go out into the world on my own and choose my own LIFE partner. I will spend the rest of MY life with a person that I want. Okay yes one of the girls from the "selection pool" may click with me and she may be my perfect match. What I'm saying is I would rather go out and date or spend time with a girlfriend and do what most others do.
    My biggest problem with the world, marriage, love and religion is it's ridiculous restrictions. I didn't choose to be born. I didn't choose to be born a muslim. But as soon as I'm born, doors for my life have been closed immediately. I can't go into certain jobs, do certain things, eat certain things and maybe even love the person I want most in my life. I havn't even chosen my own views and beliefs! I find it very ironic that religion is forced onto some children because it's their parent's religion. How is it a belief anymore if that certain individual has been forced to believe since the age of 4 by attending mosque everyday after school for 2 hours until the age of 16. I only recently left. I find it so stupid that a religion can place boundaries on who to marry and love. Love is between two people. No one on the face of the planet can feel what these two people in love are feeling. There's a reason for this. That reason is because it doesn't involve YOU. Why should thee religion be able to restrict who you spend YOUR life with. I mean it might be that the person doesn't even believe in the religion like in my case.
    Then you have the case of people not caring and doing what they want. This is what I want. I want to be able to choose who I want to marry and if that person may be a christian, muslim, athiest, jew, hindu, sikh then so be it. Beliefs are just things we've been told are true. We know the reality is true. It's like a post I saw on facebook. We know gay people exist yet we don't know for sure if God exists. Yet we deny gay people their rights on the off chance it may piss of God. It's like that for me. I know my love for someone will be real one day. Even if that person is "disliked" by my family, religion I don't care. In the end we have one chance to do something with our lives. I believe we shouldn't let restrictions stop us. Obviously I agree with laws and stuff but by restrictions I mean those that may not even be true or those that we do not necessarily have to follow or believe in.
    Why can't we all just be born, then educated about all the different things such as race, religion and people and make our own decision. If I am ever lucky enough to be a parent I don't give a ****. I will educate my child in all the different religions and let him/her choose what HE/SHE wants to do or be. The reason why... it won't affect me A LOT. It is their life. Yes I am their parent but there's only so much you influence in their life. You have to learn to give them freedom. Let them know there is a chance to become independent and do what THEY want.
    Hopefully one day I can be in a relationship that's full with love no matter who the person is at the end of the day. Christian, Hindu you name it. I think there really needs to be a change in this world. I hope you can catch my drift. Please comment if you want. Peace.
    PS I realize that this whole piece is emotional. I was crying over my keyboard after I had finished typing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOneLegendAdz)
    This is a post on my feelings, emotions and views towards what our society calls love. I do not mean to offend anyone with this as this is just my OWN personal view and there is no intent for harming someone. Okay let's go I'm going to be writing my thoughts...
    Does anyone else feel how I do? I'm a 16 year old boy living in England and I have been raised a muslim. Personally I don't believe in my religion and don't think it is for me. Obviously I havn't mentioned any of this to my parents out of fear. But that's a different story. My problem lies with marriage as this is one of my fears being born a muslim as I know my parents will select a pool of candidates for me to meet and choose. I hate the way it's done! all of it! Why can't I go out into the world on my own and choose my own LIFE partner. I will spend the rest of MY life with a person that I want. Okay yes one of the girls from the "selection pool" may click with me and she may be my perfect match. What I'm saying is I would rather go out and date or spend time with a girlfriend and do what most others do.
    My biggest problem with the world, marriage, love and religion is it's ridiculous restrictions. I didn't choose to be born. I didn't choose to be born a muslim. But as soon as I'm born, doors for my life have been closed immediately. I can't go into certain jobs, do certain things, eat certain things and maybe even love the person I want most in my life. I havn't even chosen my own views and beliefs! I find it very ironic that religion is forced onto some children because it's their parent's religion. How is it a belief anymore if that certain individual has been forced to believe since the age of 4 by attending mosque everyday after school for 2 hours until the age of 16. I only recently left. I find it so stupid that a religion can place boundaries on who to marry and love. Love is between two people. No one on the face of the planet can feel what these two people in love are feeling. There's a reason for this. That reason is because it doesn't involve YOU. Why should thee religion be able to restrict who you spend YOUR life with. I mean it might be that the person doesn't even believe in the religion like in my case.
    Then you have the case of people not caring and doing what they want. This is what I want. I want to be able to choose who I want to marry and if that person may be a christian, muslim, athiest, jew, hindu, sikh then so be it. Beliefs are just things we've been told are true. We know the reality is true. It's like a post I saw on facebook. We know gay people exist yet we don't know for sure if God exists. Yet we deny gay people their rights on the off chance it may piss of God. It's like that for me. I know my love for someone will be real one day. Even if that person is "disliked" by my family, religion I don't care. In the end we have one chance to do something with our lives. I believe we shouldn't let restrictions stop us. Obviously I agree with laws and stuff but by restrictions I mean those that may not even be true or those that we do not necessarily have to follow or believe in.
    Why can't we all just be born, then educated about all the different things such as race, religion and people and make our own decision. If I am ever lucky enough to be a parent I don't give a ****. I will educate my child in all the different religions and let him/her choose what HE/SHE wants to do or be. The reason why... it won't affect me A LOT. It is their life. Yes I am their parent but there's only so much you influence in their life. You have to learn to give them freedom. Let them know there is a chance to become independent and do what THEY want.
    Hopefully one day I can be in a relationship that's full with love no matter who the person is at the end of the day. Christian, Hindu you name it. I think there really needs to be a change in this world. I hope you can catch my drift. Please comment if you want. Peace.
    PS I realize that this whole piece is emotional. I was crying over my keyboard after I had finished typing it
    I actually REALLY respect you for this, pal

ReputationRep:
    Well, that is a huge wall of text but I'm glad I brought myself to read it.

I completely agree with everything you've written here. I hope that you manage to break the chains of your religion, life's a lot better without them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    I actually REALLY respect you for this, pal
    Thanks buddy! I have a whole load more of "rants" if you'd like to call it that in my head I just needed to get it out somewhere. Do you get what I mean? All of this stuff makes me really emotional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey Dent)
    Well, that is a huge wall of text but I'm glad I brought myself to read it.

I completely agree with everything you've written here. I hope that you manage to break the chains of your religion, life's a lot better without them.
    Thank you for reading this! It means a lot that someone took the time to read it! It's a lot because I was writing my thoughts and as I was writing obviously bits started to add in as I started to remember more! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks buddy! I have a whole load more of "rants" if you'd like to call it that in my head I just needed to get it out somewhere. Do you get what I mean? All of this stuff makes me really emotional
    You're sort of the same as me to be fair. I respect all faiths but I'm pushed away from them by those who execute their beliefs because they think it's necessary to put their own spin on it...

I just don't know, my whole attitude changed to like: I don't want to belong to a faith that treats everyone like they're going to be condemned into a pit of fire for doing absolutely nothing wrong, then preach love and tolerance like they never spouted the before.

If you need to talk ever just message !x

ReputationRep:
    You're sort of the same as me to be fair. I respect all faiths but I'm pushed away from them by those who execute their beliefs because they think it's necessary to put their own spin on it...

I just don't know, my whole attitude changed to like: I don't want to belong to a faith that treats everyone like they're going to be condemned into a pit of fire for doing absolutely nothing wrong, then preach love and tolerance like they never spouted the before.

If you need to talk ever just message !x
    Thanks man! I just need to know one thing What is your opinion on what I wrote? Like did it move you? Make you get them weird butterflies in your stomach? And thanks for being there x

ReputationRep:
    That's horrible OP Sorry to hear that.

You have much more control over your life than you realise though. Are you planning on going to uni/getting a job after you leave school? Once you're self-supporting you can live life the way you like. Nobody (including your parents, even if they raised you!) has the right to force you to live life like a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yololo)
    That's horrible OP Sorry to hear that.

You have much more control over your life than you realise though. Are you planning on going to uni/getting a job after you leave school? Once you're self-supporting you can live life the way you like. Nobody (including your parents, even if they raised you!) has the right to force you to live life like a Muslim.
    Thanks for reading Yes I plan to go and study medicine as my dream and get a job and well... live life basically... the way I want

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man! I just need to know one thing What is your opinion on what I wrote? Like did it move you? Make you get them weird butterflies in your stomach? And thanks for being there x
    It moved me because I can identify with it. I was like, "finally, someone just came right out and said it instead of making a thread to instigate controversial ideas so they can say what they've been thinking all along in small instalments" xx

ReputationRep:
    It moved me because I can identify with it. I was like, "finally, someone just came right out and said it instead of making a thread to instigate controversial ideas so they can say what they've been thinking all along in small instalments" xx
    That's good to hear! I've always been told as a kid I had a way with words and literature which is why English is one of my favourite subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reading Yes I plan to go and study medicine as my dream and get a job and well... live life basically... the way I want
    You're welcome Dw to go into too much detail but I was in the same situation as you at around your age then I went to uni and graduated and basically did whatever I want. My parents know I'm not a Muslim now but they are more open-minded than I could possibly have expected given how strict they were when I was under 18. TBH it is a choice for them, either accept me the way I am or don't see me at all.

I know it might seem like you're "missing out on" a lot before you go to uni (I recommend applying to unis well away from home, btw, so your parents can't come over and see what you're doing without your knowledge) but, honestly, at 16 it's not such a big deal if you have a partner or not. Just focus on making friends which I suppose your parents will allow you to do. Relationships at university tend to be better anyway! (and those when you're an adult tend to be best as everyone's more mature, but that's another kettle of fish).

ReputationRep:
    Well if you dont beleive in islam youre not a muslim anyway. You dont Have to be muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Are you me?

Because this is how I feel too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Are you me?

Because this is how I feel too
    Glad someone feels the same way and is open minded enough to see how the world should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbit1234)
    Well if you dont beleive in islam youre not a muslim anyway. You dont Have to be muslim.
    Technically I have to be until I'm above 18 and moved away etc it's not that simple... it never is

ReputationRep:
    Glad someone feels the same way and is open minded enough to see how the world should be
    That is exactly the way the world should be

ReputationRep:
    Technically I have to be until I'm above 18 and moved away etc it's not that simple... it never is
    This hit me right in the feels because of how much I can relate to this!
    And yeah it's not that simple

ReputationRep:
    Your thread is logical and I appreciate your honesty.

My point is this: once you become an adult, you have all the rights to live the way you want to live - by that I mean you can live in your own place, get a full-time job and then be self-sufficient so that you can enter into a relationship with the person you choose. This is ultimately what you want. If you want it, what's stopping you getting it? If your parents oppose, you have to make an effort to explain to them exactly what you've said here. String together a set of logical arguments and communicate your views and needs. If they don't accept or they oppose what you want to do, then that's their view, which you have to respect as this is a free country. Once you're an adult, however, they don't necessarily have any right to stop you nor do you have any obligation to remain bounded to their rules. In short, if you want something, go get it and don't let anyone stop you. You will face opposition and hardships, but that's part of the game.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I was never pushed into a religion. I hope you someday tell your parents and they understand. That would be the best scenario.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.