Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group H SF1: The Lion King v Up Watch

• View Poll Results: Group H Semi Final 1
    The Lion king
    68.00%
    Up
    32.00%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

"The Lion King has that rare quality that is surely the sign of any great kid's film, in that it works for both a 5 year old and a 55 year old. A timeless story (literally; it's a loose update of Hamlet) this film is one of Disney's Holy Grails, passed down from generation to generation and loved by all who see it. Visually gorgeous, with its stunning vistas of the African wilderness, colourful characters and a strong script make this film a true modern classic."

Up
    Up is the tale of Carl Fredericksen, an old man who fulfils a childhood dream by flying to South America - in his house, supported by balloons. A Boy Scout named Russell becomes an unlikely stowaway. When Carl meets his childhood idol, the explorer Charles Muntz, he is initially ecstatic - but is he all that he seems? In equal parts comedic and touching, this film will delight both young and old.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can't pick... :cry:

Will have a think and come back...

ReputationRep:
    Both great films, but The lion King (2nd more than 1st) is my favourite animation ever
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I actually can't pick... :cry:

Will have a think and come back...

Wowser. This is incredibly difficult.

I mean damn the more I think about it the harder it gets, both are arguably flawless films, let alone the feels.

Jeez. Ok Imma go through this blow by blow.

The sub plot in Up is weaker compared to the Lion King, but the main plot in Up is... well if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean when I say I have a lingering sad warm feeling just thinking about it, whereas the Lion King is just a Hamlet rip off with better trimmings.

Up 1 LK 0

Voice acting is the Lion Kings,but not through any fault of Up. There is alot of silence in Up, and the characters aren't really these impossible majestic beings, and furthermore there's no singing on showcase so it would be impossible for Up to win here.

Up 1 LK 1

Animation... Both films innovated their animation fields, but Lion King massively whereas Up was more a tweak of Pixars standard model (the colour system was revamped for the film). But again I feel it would be impossible for LK to step up to Up here. Working with Animals limits them to conveying the emotions that are at times in Up transcribed by a single eye movement. Giving it to Up, but close.

Up 2 LK 1

Characters has to be Lion King. It created a vibrant world full of individuals and clashing world views even, whereas Up certainly creates a world for 3 characters with incredible detail, but the larger world as a whole is almost a dream space full of flat and gold foil characters.

Up 2 LK 2

This isn't going well...

I think Up will lose this just because Lion King is soooo iconic and shockingly there are still many who haven't seen Up. So I'm going to vote for Up just to keep this contest as close as it deserves to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Wowser. This is incredibly difficult.

I mean damn the more I think about it the harder it gets, both are arguably flawless films, let alone the feels.

Jeez. Ok Imma go through this blow by blow.

The sub plot in Up is weaker compared to the Lion King, but the main plot in Up is... well if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean when I say I have a lingering sad warm feeling just thinking about it, whereas the Lion King is just a Hamlet rip off with better trimmings.

Up 1 LK 0

Voice acting is the Lion Kings,but not through any fault of Up. There is alot of silence in Up, and the characters aren't really these impossible majestic beings, and furthermore there's no singing on showcase so it would be impossible for Up to win here.

Up 1 LK 1

Animation... Both films innovated their animation fields, but Lion King massively whereas Up was more a tweak of Pixars standard model (the colour system was revamped for the film). But again I feel it would be impossible for LK to step up to Up here. Working with Animals limits them to conveying the emotions that are at times in Up transcribed by a single eye movement. Giving it to Up, but close.

Up 2 LK 1

Characters has to be Lion King. It created a vibrant world full of individuals and clashing world views even, whereas Up certainly creates a world for 3 characters with incredible detail, but the larger world as a whole is almost a dream space full of flat and gold foil characters.

Up 2 LK 2

This isn't going well...

I think Up will lose this just because Lion King is soooo iconic and shockingly there are still many who haven't seen Up. So I'm going to vote for Up just to keep this contest as close as it deserves to be.
    This post was pretty awesome and summed up both films nicely.

In my head i'm comparing the amazing love story of the first 8 minutes of Up to the childhood nostalgia of Lion King.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

In my head i'm comparing the amazing love story of the first 8 minutes of Up to the childhood nostalgia of Lion King.

Not just that bit. Think of the moment when he turns the pages of the book. That wasn't as much of a tear jerker but it was for me the single most profound moment I've ever watched in an animated film.

ReputationRep:
    Not just that bit. Think of the moment when he turns the pages of the book. That wasn't as much of a tear jerker but it was for me the single most profound moment I've ever watched in an animated film.
    Oh yea... :cry:

Still have not voted as am undecided.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea... :cry:

Still have not voted as am undecided.

It's the toughest so far, but Lion King will take it anyway. Probably on its way to the crown.

ReputationRep:
    It's the toughest so far, but Lion King will take it anyway. Probably on its way to the crown.
    Really? I reckon it could be close. A lot of the younger students on the site would have not been born when Lion King came out back in 94...

ReputationRep:
    Rarely watch animation but Lion King from when I was a kid brings back good memories.

ReputationRep:
    Lion king. End of.

Iconic and a beautiful story, much like Bambi.

Seems like all the great animations feature death as a theme.

I will admit I have yet to see up!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lion King - very good Disney, one that stands comparison with their greatest.

Up - well, some of it is good. Probably Pixar's tenth best.

ReputationRep:

Agreed, I thought that Up got quite weak as it progressed but it started from such a powerful beginning it wins out for me. The Lion King is iconic but the story is, at best, unimaginative...

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch many animated films but I've seen The Lion King and it's a classic. So I'll go with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Agreed, I thought that Up got quite weak as it progressed but it started from such a powerful beginning it wins out for me. The Lion King is iconic but the story is, at best, unimaginative...
    I went for Up in the end but it's getting it's ass kicked quite heavily atm so i needn't have bothered...

ReputationRep:
    I voted for Lion King even though I haven't seen it since I was like 3 and haven't got a clue what it's about (apart from Lions, and one of them dies I think, which makes girls cry), simply because I don't understand how Up won the previous round. It's a pretty average film and is nothing compared to How to Train your Dragon.

I've been told I have to watch Lion King again, being made to watch it next weekend.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    How is this even a question?!?! :nothing: Answer is blates The Lion King :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The Lion King. Thought Up would've fared much better :O

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.