Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group H SF2: Finding Nemo v Toy Story 3 Watch

• View Poll Results: Group H Semi Final 2
    Finding Nemo
    54.55%
    Toy Story 3
    45.45%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Finding Nemo
    Heart warming, yet humorous tale of a brand new father loosing his son. The horror! Any new parent can relate to almost losing their kid, I know mine did....
    The fact that it is one of the best selling DVDs of all time and has a sequel in production shows that both parents and children alike love this timeless classic!

Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Toy Story 3 saw Pixar return to their initial success of Andy and his toys. The movie begins with Andy leaving for college and donating his beloved toys - including Woody and Buzz - to a daycare. While the crew meets new friends, including Ken, they soon grow to hate their new surroundings and plan an escape. Featuring voice acting from top talent including Tom Hanks and Tim Allen.

ReputationRep:
    Finding Nemo!!! Definitely. I remember going to watch this film in the cinema with my family when it first came out, I thought it was the greatest film ever. Greatly enjoyed it. Toy Story 3 is also great, but Finding Nemo wins for me because of sentimental value. A timeless classic.

ReputationRep:
    Toy Story 3 has too many great characters.

ReputationRep:
    Voted Finding Nemo. Taken it to a draw.

Toy Story 1 or 2 would have won but 3 was not as good imo.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I've written essays on both these films. When you spend hours upon hours fretting over minute details of something for weeks, or months, you often come to loathe them.

Both of these films held up past that and I love them both still. I feel Finding Nemo is the better film, both technically and stylistically, and handed my vote there.

Something I'd ask anyone who is undecided to do would be to think about the films in a new light for a moment. Toy Story is a film exploring the American identity, caught between Western cinema and Sci Fi cinema. The difficulties in resolving your dreams with your place in the real world. It's a fantastic film.

I'd say Nemo was more fantastic. It's a film exploring an entire cast of disabled or traumatised characters. That has never been done. Ever. Animation or no, it's a film that comfortably challenges traditional roles about only heterosexual cisgender white men being disabled, but the potential for a resolution not through an individual but in reliance on community. The characters are the modern Odysseus, and the sea is just a bit deeper than the toy box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I've written essays on both these films. When you spend hours upon hours fretting over minute details of something for weeks, or months, you often come to loathe them.

Both of these films held up past that and I love them both still. I feel Finding Nemo is the better film, both technically and stylistically, and handed my vote there.

Something I'd ask anyone who is undecided to do would be to think about the films in a new light for a moment. Toy Story is a film exploring the American identity, caught between Western cinema and Sci Fi cinema. The difficulties in resolving your dreams with your place in the real world. It's a fantastic film.

I'd say Nemo was more fantastic. It's a film exploring an entire cast of disabled or traumatised characters. That has never been done. Ever. Animation or no, it's a film that comfortably challenges traditional roles about only heterosexual cisgender white men being disabled, but the potential for a resolution not through an individual but in reliance on community. The characters are the modern Odysseus, and the sea is just a bit deeper than the toy box.
    Awesome analysis!

Would rep if i had not just repped you for your post in the Lion King/Up thread a few minutes ago. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Has to be finding Nemo. Watched toy story 3 for the first time maybe a month ago and I really wanted to turn it off (but my little sister wanted to watch it). I don't know why but it's probably the worst in the series. If it were toy story 2, it'll probably be a much harder decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Has to be finding Nemo. Watched toy story 3 for the first time maybe a month ago and I really wanted to turn it off (but my little sister wanted to watch it). I don't know why but it's probably the worst in the series. If it were toy story 2, it'll probably be a much harder decision

This. I'd have given toy Story 1 or 2 my vote but because it was 3 it's not as good imo and Nemo beats it.

One of the reason nemo deserves to win is this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    This. I'd have given toy Story 1 or 2 my vote but because it was 3 it's not as good imo and Nemo beats it.

One of the reason nemo deserves to win is this...
    Haha that is so true. I genuinely don't know whether they're legit called clownfish or if that was a joke or something but everyone knows nemo!

ReputationRep:
    Haha that is so true. I genuinely don't know whether they're legit called clownfish or if that was a joke or something but everyone knows nemo!

they are legit called clownfish but everyone who ever spots one will call it Nemo. To get a character that makes everything of that species called that is fairly awesome.

Everyone Lion is not Musafa or simba, and every donkey is not eeyore but you see a clownfish , you say Nemo. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    they are legit called clownfish but everyone who ever spots one will call it Nemo. To get a character that makes everything of that species called that is fairly awesome.

Everyone Lion is not Musafa or simba, and every donkey is not eeyore but you see a clownfish , you say Nemo. :yep:
    It's a massive achievement and a credit to the actual movie.

I still haven't seen lion king :lol: I would have called donkey 'donkey' on account of shrek (which is much better than Winnie the Pooh)

ReputationRep:
    It's a massive achievement and a credit to the actual movie.

I still haven't seen lion king :lol: I would have called donkey 'donkey' on account of shrek (which is much better than Winnie the Pooh)
    How have you not seen lion king? :eek:

Also Nemo has the honour of being on the homepage pod that link to the Movie Madness forum!

ReputationRep:
    How have you not seen lion king? :eek:

Also Nemo has the honour of being on the homepage pod that link to the Movie Madness forum!
    I've never really seen the appeal of it.

ReputationRep:
    They are both great films but love Finding Nemo a tiny bit more. Watched it again the other day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people can guess what I voted for!

But I do like the movie and also never got into toy story.

ReputationRep:
    How can Toy Story 3 be losing? It has Totoro in it damn it! TOTORO!

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nemo - Pixar's seventh best film

Toy Story 3 - Pixar's eighth or ninth best?

ReputationRep:
    Finding nemo has so many feels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Nemo - Pixar's seventh best film

Toy Story 3 - Pixar's eighth or ninth best?

How would you rate pixars films then?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    3 - Toy Story
    9 - A Bug's Life
    1 - Toy Story 2
    4 - Monsters, Inc.
    7 - Finding Nemo
    2 - The Incredibles
    12 - Cars
    5 - Ratatouille
    11 - WALL-E
    10 - Up
    8 - Toy Story 3
    ? - Cars 2 - given how I rate Cars, I haven't bothered to see it
    ? - Brave - yet to see
    6 - Monsters University

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.