Real vegan cheese is finally here!!

Watch
StevieA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Vegans and those suffering from lactose intolerance could soon be eating 'cheese' grown in a lab, made using yeast, vegetable butter and water.

Biohackers in California have found a way to create cheese protein genes based on sequences in cow DNA, before growing them in baker’s yeast and using them to create a ‘milk’ substitute.

This milk can then be churned using traditional cheese-making methods to become real vegan cheese.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ein-genes.html

Having said that, there are some super vegan alternatives to cheese already out there. It's a shame the vegan market is so niche when other non-vegan people could benefit from it since vegan ''cheese'' is much healthier and doesn't contain lactose (60% of people are lactose intolerant, can't be true wtf). And no, vegans don't just eat salads and soy all day.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not a biology expert, so I'm wondering - to what extent will it actually taste like the original cheese?

A lot of meat/dairy alternatives don't taste much like their originals, although they're not normally created in this way to be fair..
StevieA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
I'm not a biology expert, so I'm wondering - to what extent will it actually taste like the original cheese?

A lot of meat/dairy alternatives don't taste much like their originals, although they're not normally created in this way to be fair..
OK , first of all , I'm a vegan. Most of the alternative stuff out there isn't worth pissing on, it's just awful. The best vegan cheeses are Vegusto (Switzerland) and Violife (Greece). Non-vegans I know love them as much as the real thing. As for the new real cheese, they are basically recreating the exact DNA structure of cow milk but from vegan sources. So it will look and taste exactly the same without being derived from an animal source.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (209)
43.54%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.67%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.25%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.42%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.63%

Watched Threads