Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Essentially I want to study PPE at Oxford, but I'm worried that the same degree form elsewhere may be worth less after graduation. I would love to study it at any uni, but would it be worth applying to do just economics (which I equally enjoy) at these places, yet risking the quality of my personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    My friend didn't get into Oxford so he's going to LSE to do Econ and Philosophy which she is chuffed about

ReputationRep:
    She said her PS was mainly based around economics since she applied to 3 straight econ courses and she got offers from thm. She was interviewed at Oxford but then rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    She said her PS was mainly based around economics since she applied to 3 straight econ courses and she got offers from thm. She was interviewed at Oxford but then rejected
    Yeah thats what I'm thinking of doing but maybe the Economic centric PS deters Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    York is recognised as the next best place for PPE.

LSE and UCL have released their own PPE degrees for 2015 entry, I believe those would be on a par with Oxford and York's reputation.

Anywhere else, you're basically better doing straight Economics. I'd recommend making a PPE statement, and applying for 5 PPE places including some of the big names in this post. If you get into them, great. If you end up at one of your safer options, switch to Economics? It depends a lot on whether the university allows you to switch so easily but I wouldn't have thought a switch like that would cause many problems.

I'm making this post purely from a reputation perspective btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockon8912)
    Essentially I want to study PPE at Oxford, but I'm worried that the same degree form elsewhere may be worth less after graduation. I would love to study it at any uni, but would it be worth applying to do just economics (which I equally enjoy) at these places, yet risking the quality of my personal statement?
    I believe LSE and UCL now offer PPE (IIRC?) and Warwick isn't a bad place to do it either.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't KCL also offer PPE for those entering in 2015? I swear I saw it on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    Doesn't KCL also offer PPE for those entering in 2015? I swear I saw it on UCAS.
    I think it does! LSE, UCL and Kings all starting new PPE degrees in 2015...how lucky for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellerofdreams)
    I think it does! LSE, UCL and Kings all starting new PPE degrees in 2015...how lucky for me!
    Are you going to apply for PPE at all those unis?

Coz I am. (Well, except for LSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurofune)
    Are you going to apply for PPE at all those unis?

Coz I am. (Well, except for LSE)
    Ppe at ucl and gov and econs at lse. Not applying to kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellerofdreams)
    Ppe at ucl and gov and econs at lse. Not applying to kings

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck! The prospectus says theres only going to be 25 spots O.O
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...l-sciences.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.