The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PassingAlways
thanks for proving my point :smile:

lol, hardly, everything the USA/China do is motivated by economics, if you don't know that you may as well live under a rock.

nope, just someone who sees through the propaganda of the UK/USA media scum.

USA is hardly going to hamper the Chinese economy right now, maybe in 10-20 years time, when and if they recover, but right now it would be like the USA shooting itself in the face.

Damaging Russian economic yes, Chinese economics no!
Original post by DanB1991
USA is hardly going to hamper the Chinese economy right now, maybe in 10-20 years time, when and if they recover, but right now it would be like the USA shooting itself in the face.

:laugh: the USA play a long game? no chance.

it's more about the former than the latter tbh, a weaker Russia gives the USA more power in the region which negates the rise of China.
USA stealth drones or CIA operatives mate.

:hmmmm2:
I actually have no words for this. I've just read that it was mistaken for a Ukrainian plane but there's no official confirmation..

http://www.kinitv.com/video/8802O8

It hasn't been a brilliant year for us Malaysians :sad:
:laugh: the USA play a long game? no chance.

it's more about the former than the latter tbh, a weaker Russia gives the USA more power in the region which negates the rise of China.

'a weaker Russia gives the USA more power in the region which negates the rise of China'... the only way the USA could stop or negate the rise of china is if they stopped the EU and USA itself from investing in china.

Look at the main countries investing in china.... Russia is hardly a big player in that respect, for cries sake it's one of the BRIC nations itself.

Even then hampering Russia would actually help the Chinese economy, not make it worse. Russia and china are main competitors in middle to low quality goods.
I wonder if anyone on board survived the missile. Imagine falling 10000 metres to your death...oof. Can't imagine what would be going through yo mind in that situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
I wonder if anyone on board survived the missile. Imagine falling 10000 metres to your death...oof. Can't imagine what would be going through yo mind in that situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly on a plane that large yes they would... even in single plane fighters, odds are the pilot would survive initial contact.
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
:hmmmm2:

Ignore them, they're one of those that assumes the CIA has about 3 million super secret magic stealth jets that defy the laws of physics, fly for hundreds of thousands of miles, that blow up anything that even slightly pokes fun at America and imagine that something that would have cost tens of billions of dollars and involved hundreds of thousands of people can be kept in total and utter secrecy forever.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Reuters were reporting 23 Americans a couple of hours back, this was before the list was released however.

The list released only comes to 230 odd. That leaves quite a few passengers unnacounted for.

Person on BBC suggesting that the US has requested this information be kept quiet until they have a clearer idea as to what happened and what their response should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 249

A person falling from 10000 metres would be dead before he reaches the ground due to huge acceleration (hence massive overload).

Btw guys, I'm Russian currently living in Minsk, Belarus. I have a lot of friends and relatives living all over Ukraine, so if you're interested in what people here think about stuff going in Eastern Ukraine, ask questions and I'll try to help you if I can.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
The list released only comes to 230 odd. That leaves quite a few passengers unnacounted for.

Person on BBC suggesting that the US has requested this information be kept quiet until they have a clearer idea as to what happened and what their response should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That list did have others left to be confirmed.
Original post by Lumens
A person falling from 10000 metres would be dead before he reaches the ground due to huge acceleration (hence massive overload).

Btw guys, I'm Russian currently living in Minsk, Belarus. I have a lot of friends and relatives living all over Ukraine, so if you're interested in what people think about stuff going in Eastern Ukraine, ask questions and I'll try to help you if I can.

What side are people generally on?

All we hear over in the UK is most Russian's blindly follow Russian media's version of events, although they are starting to feel overwhelmed by it.
Original post by Lumens

Btw guys, I'm Russian currently living in Minsk, Belarus. I have a lot of friends and relatives living all over Ukraine, so if you're interested in what people think about stuff going in Eastern Ukraine, ask questions and I'll try to help you if I can.

Don't know if discussing this is quite right because it's quite grim but wouldn't you just reach terminal velocity? Surely you'd be able to survive terminal velocity, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't know if discussing this is quite right because it's quite grim but wouldn't you just reach terminal velocity? Surely you'd be able to survive terminal velocity, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd imagine that the biggest issue would be the lack of oxygen...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that her theory is quite wild, but there might actually be something to it. Note that I'm merely considering ideas here, not subscribing to anything.

Russia have recently been making moves towards a closer economic and political integration with China, and Asia in general. A new rival to the World Bank has also been established by the BRICS countries. I very much doubt that the US like this. If you take a look through actual US history, you see that they invariably despise any attempts on behalf of foreign nations to be independent. The US dollar's value is pretty much sustained by being the most traded currency for international transactions, mainly in the area of petroleum trading. If too many important countries start making moves to trade with each other economically, there is a good possibility that eventually they will wean themselves off the dollar, causing a catastrophic loss in its value and trashing the US economy. Russia have already been increasingly using the Remnimbi for international trade with China, and China's currency will probably continue to grow in popularity in the future.

The US, directly or indirectly, bringing down a plane and blaming Russian separatists will inevitably cause all fingers globally to point at Russia for such a heinous crime. We've been fed the narrative that Putin has been supplying the separatists with weaponry for months, but no one's really heard Putin out. Putin wasn't afraid of taking Crimea right under the world's nose, so why should he consistently be so reluctant to admit he was supplying weapons to Russian separatists? Is the latter so much worse than the former? There seems to be a strange kind of inconsistency here in my view, but the Western media doesn't even give us a case for the opposite side of the story. Anyway, greatly isolating Russia like this may halt trade negotiations in the East, and additional sanctions or boycotts by countries around the globe might greatly affect Russian trade. It's not a bad way of greatly delaying this shift away from the dollar.

Again, this is merely an idea I'm entertaining. I neither believe nor disbelieve it, but to me, something about this extremely tragic event smells.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends if he's stapped into something heavy etc.

It actually does rely on weight, gravity and Buoyancy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This brings back memories of 9/11 and the falling man ... they obviously thought falling to your death is better than burning alive or having a whole building fall on you.
Original post by Abstraction
I understand that her theory is quite wild, but there might actually be something to it. Note that I'm merely considering ideas here, not subscribing to anything.

Russia have recently been making moves towards a closer economic and political integration with China, and Asia in general. A new rival to the World Bank has also been established by the BRICS countries. I very much doubt that the US like this. If you take a look through actual US history, you see that they invariably despise any attempts on behalf of foreign nations to be independent. The US dollar's value is pretty much sustained by being the most traded currency for international transactions, mainly in the area of petroleum trading. If too many important countries start making moves to trade with each other economically, there is a good possibility that eventually they will wean themselves off the dollar, causing a catastrophic loss in its value and trashing the US economy. Russia have already been increasingly using the Remnimbi for international trade with China, and China's currency will probably continue to grow in popularity in the future.

The US, directly or indirectly, bringing down a plane and blaming Russian separatists will inevitably cause all fingers globally to point at Russia for such a heinous crime. We've been fed the narrative that Putin has been supplying the separatists with weaponry for months, but no one's really heard Putin out. Putin wasn't afraid of taking Crimea right under the world's nose, so why should he consistently be so reluctant to admit he was supplying weapons to Russian separatists? Is the latter so much worse than the former? There seems to be a strange kind of inconsistency here in my view, but the Western media doesn't even give us a case for the opposite side of the story. Anyway, greatly isolating Russia like this may halt trade negotiations in the East, and additional sanctions or boycotts by countries around the globe might greatly affect Russian trade. It's not a bad way of greatly delaying this shift away from the dollar.

Again, this is merely an idea I'm entertaining. I neither believe nor disbelieve it, but to me, something about this extremely tragic event smells.

Posted from TSR Mobile

America have nothing against harming Russia's economy, it's still a rival to them and would benefit them.

Harming china's economy would actually also damage the american economy.

Saying they did it to damage the russian economy is a fair point, however it's pretty much damaged as it will ever be due to the conflict, it's not going to get much worse for the russians seeing how many countries rely on certain resources (aka they will sell them whatever happens).

However claiming they did this to affect the chinese economy is complete nutter territory.
Reply 258
What side are people generally on?

All we hear over in the UK is most Russian's blindly follow Russian media's version of events, although they are starting to feel overwhelmed by it.

Generally people in Russia, Belarus and Eastern Ukraine support Russian (but not "pro-russian rebels") side. Not really because of Russian media, but because of strong relations between our nations. Here in Belarus 90% speak Russian (even most of Belarussians speak it), almost the same situation in Eastern Ukraine.

What about this tragic plane crash event, most of my friends agree that it's very likely, that the plane was shot down by rebels. By accident ofc, not on purpose or by Russian order. It seems really likely to me either.
Obviously America is involved somehow, that is pretty much a given for any even like this, these days.

Quick Reply

Latest