The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
That would be Siberian 1812. And it's not meaningless, it just shows that your argument is a load of crap.

I don't think you even have any idea what my argument is? If you do then you have serious problems articulating yourself.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I don't think you even have any idea what my argument is? If you do then you have serious problems articulating yourself.

Well, if you're going to argue that it couldn't possibly have been the Ukrainian "government" because they have no reason to do so, then how is a nice long list of accidental shoot downs supportive of that point?
Well, if you're going to argue that it couldn't possibly have been the Ukrainian "government" because they have no reason to do so, then how is a nice long list of accidental shoot downs supportive of that point?

No, my argument has been all along that it's unlikely that it was the Ukranian government and there is no reason whatsoever to believe that it is, whereas there are good reasons to believe it was the separatists. The fact that governments have shot down passenger jets before means practically nothing with regard to this incident.
No, my argument has been all along that it's unlikely that it was the Ukranian government and there is no reason whatsoever to believe that it is, whereas there are good reasons to believe it was the separatists. The fact that governments have shot down passenger jets before means practically nothing with regard to this incident.

And nobody implied that it does, and if they were meaning to imply that then surely they would have brought up Siberian 1812 and nor Iran 655
Well the only people who have been shooting down planes in the area is the separatists, they are the only ones who have a non-tin foil hat conspiracy theory motive, it's looking incredibly likely that they have the weaponry required to shoot it down, so no it's not wild speculation. Instead it's by far the most likely explanation.

I'm not biased, if someone presents a credible motive and credible evidence then I'll consider it, until then there is nothing to consider. You've been brainwashed by Russia Today.

I'm fully aware of that, you've completely missed the point, I was simply pointing out that a case of Ukrainians shooting down a passenger jet years ago means very little. I think your post would be better directed at LightBlieSoldier.

I don't even read Russia today. All I'm saying is that the Ukrainian government has already staged an illegal coup and in the past official military forces have mistaken passenger aircraft for military aircraft. These provide two clear scenarios in which the Ukrainians could have shot it down. I don't consider either scenario likely but because I am an impartial observer I recognize the possibility.

I'd also like to point out that no one has provide credible evidence that the rebels did it and you seem perfectly williñg to accept that narrative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And nobody implied that it does, and if they were meaning to imply that then surely they would have brought up Siberian 1812 and nor Iran 655

I suggest you go and read the original post where Iran 655 was brought up.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I don't even read Russia today. All I'm saying is that the Ukrainian government has already staged an illegal coup and in the past official military forces have mistaken passenger aircraft for military aircraft. These provide two clear scenarios in which the Ukrainians could have shot it down. I don't consider either scenario likely but because I am an impartial observer I recognize the possibility.

I'd also like to point out that no one has provide credible evidence that the rebels did it and you seem perfectly williñg to accept that narrative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure sound impartial when you start your post with 'the Ukrainian government staged an illegal coup'.

There is no definitive evidence that the separatists did it but it remains the only scenario that makes any sense. Until someone comes up with another credible scenario, then I maintain that the most likely explanation is that the separatists did it. So far all we have had to counter that is the tin foil hat 'the Ukrainians did it on purpose to blame the separatists' or the almost as unlikely idea that the Ukrainians mistook it for a military aircraft (whose military aircraft? The separatists don't have any)
(edited 9 years ago)
You sure sound impartial when you start your post with 'the Ukrainian government staged an illegal coup'.

There is no credible evidence that the separatists did it but it remains the only scenario that makes any sense. Until someone comes up with another credible scenario, then I maintain that the most likely explanation is that the separatists did it. So far all we have had to counter that is the tin foil hat 'the Ukrainians did it on purpose to blame the separatists' or the almost as unlikely idea that the Ukrainians mistook it for a military aircraft (whose military aircraft? The separatists don't have any)

I fail to see how you regard it as implausible that the Ukrainians did it to frame the separatists. These sorts of actions happen the whole time.

And yes it was an illegal coup. The elected president was forced out of office and an unelected man from the opposition was put in his place.

Anyhow I have no interest in arguing with someone who cannot even imagine a possibility other than the Russians being responsible. I guess you're only 15 so it's understandable that you are so narrow minded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
I fail to see how you regard it as implausible that the Ukrainians did it to frame the separatists. These sorts of actions happen the whole time.

And yes it was an illegal coup. The elected president was forced out of office and an unelected man from the opposition was put in his place.

Anyhow I have no interest in arguing with someone who cannot even imagine a possibility other than the Russians being responsible. I guess you're only 15 so it's understandable that you are so narrow minded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

These things happen all the time? When was the last time a government killed around 300 civilians from friendly nations in order to frame a group of rebels that they already have a significant military advantage over?

As I've said, present a credible scenario and I'll consider it, you have failed to do this.

I'm not 15 no, I'm guessing I'm quite a few years older than you as most of us grow out of crackpot conspiracy theories by the time we finish high school.
It's such awful news for all of the families and relations involved. I hope that they can get closure on this and that they are able to grieve properly for their loved ones. I hope that the culprits are found and brought to justice.

Old but relevant article, from the looks of the posts above me (my uncle, not a conspiracy theorist):
http://blogs.channel4.com/alex-thomsons-view/big-nasty-putin-pulling-strings/7295
RussiaToday are refusing to blame their rebel mates for this. RT must be the only news channel where you'll hear absolutely nothing about Russia.
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
RussiaToday are refusing to blame their rebel mates for this. RT must be the only news channel where you'll hear absolutely nothing about Russia.

One of their reporters resigned today over the coverage https://twitter.com/Sara__Firth/status/490101978622857216
Reply 412
I feel it's pretty unlikely (though not impossible) that the Ukrainians did it to frame the separatists, it feels like that would be a little too risky for them, they don't want to be angering the Western World right now and if this was found to be a deliberate attack by them, there would be outrage. The government would lose a lot of their influence and they definitely don't want that. An attack like that would be rather out of character.

I just think that if we assume it was an mistake/accident, and that the attackers thought the plane was an enemy plane, then it probably was the separatists, as they are less organised and generally less trained with the sort of weaponry it would take to bring down the plane at that height, and are more likely to make that mistake. Plus, I don't believe the separatists have possession of any planes of that size, so if it was a mistake it makes no sense for Ukraine to have done it.

When you consider the possibility (albeit a small one) that it was deliberate and the attackers knew exactly what plane it was, then you get into a whole new kettle of fish. It has very worrying implications.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm wondering what the USA's endgame is in warmongering like this. One hypothesis is that they're establishing a justification to invade Russia, which would decimate the Russian Armed Forces but more importantly their armaments, a steady stream of which Russia now sends down to Syria to support the Assad government, which the Zionist Neocons determining US foreign policy want to end because Israel considers a local state that's also stable and secular a threat.
Original post by TheBallWinner
Realistically this is a case of Russia shooting down an Aircraft because they believed it was a Ukrainian threat, and over the coming days the Aircraft (Pilot) will more than likely be shouldered with the blame of flying in "uncertain territory". Right?

Why would Ukraine shoot this down?

russia isnt stupid enough to shoot this down+ they have full radar over the area

only group that doest is the separatists
I can't understand how Putin can say it's Ukraine's fault? If it's pro-Russian separatists supported by Moscow, then they are responsible, both the separatists and Moscow, and they should be brought to justice. Not Ukraine. How on earth did the rebels get the technology if not Moscow? Personally I'd favour NATO airstrikes on the rebels, talking and all this diplomatic nonsense just gets nowhere. You're not Russian, your Ukrainian. Doesn't matter if you were once Russian. Time for the NATO to show some leadership, bring those responsible to justice. Doesn't matter what Russia thinks, just take revenge. The tree of liberty needs to be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Stop being scared of a war with Russia, it's a lesser evil than allowing acts like this to continue. We in the West will control how world events are going to play out, not anybody else. A war with separatists/Russia is one the West could win.

Heart goes out to the families of the victims and the victims, so sad.
Let's hope Putin doesn't get hold of the flight recorders.
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Let's hope Putin doesn't get hold of the flight recorders.

What difference is that going to make?

All they will do is confirm the theory of a middle attack
Tbh, I think the only issue is whether the Russians have removed middle fragments in the past 24 hours or evidence to link them to directly to the attack.
Original post by ParasiteRex
I'm wondering what the USA's endgame is in warmongering like this. One hypothesis is that they're establishing a justification to invade Russia, which would decimate the Russian Armed Forces but more importantly their armaments, a steady stream of which Russia now sends down to Syria to support the Assad government, which the Zionist Neocons determining US foreign policy want to end because Israel considers a local state that's also stable and secular a threat.

LOL, what have you been inhaling? you really think the US will even entertain the idea?! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending