Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

REALLY annoyed after watching Game of Thrones (spoilers) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Major spoilers, look away if you haven't watched it.

I'm nearly finished watching season 4. But now I'm extremely annoyed. Why? Because this show keeps on killing some of its best characters. Nearly all of the Starks got wiped out early on, but why?! I know that the show is based on the book, but I've never read the book and don't really care about it. Ned and Rob Stark were quite interesting, why couldn't they kill off Cersei for example.

OMG and Carl Drogo...WHY DID THEY HAVE TO KILL HIM?!?!?!?!?!? I thought the actor Jason Momoa was absolutely SUPER badass as the Dothraki leader, awesome character and one of my favourites. It was so frustrating when they decided to kill him off so early in the show!! Such a cheap way to die, too. Shame. Would have loved to see more of him.

Let me highlight another example: Prince O'Brien. I thought he was a really cool character, loved his last scene...but why on EARTH did Mountain have to murder him so brutally??!! It makes no sense!! I'm so annoyed right now that there's no more Prince O'Brien, he was a decent character, shame we'll never see him wield a spear again. That whole scene...it was shaping up for a happy ending. Now we probably won't even see any more of the Mountain anyway, just makes no sense why they did that.

And now, I'm guessing they're going to execute Tyrion...WHY.

WHYYYYY

And why did they cut off Jamie's hand and render him useless as a swordsman?!?!?! ARGGGHHHHH

And WHY did they kill off Locke?! He was cool. And Jaqen H'ghar (okay he's still alive somewhere, but we never saw him since season 2 I think it was, and he only appeared briefly anyway)...really interesting character which unfortunately we won't see anymore.

This show spends far too much time on its more boring characters and boring filler subplots, while killing off its most interesting characters (or not providing them enough screen time). It's senseless.

STOP KILLING OFF INTERESTING CHARACTERS.

okay i just realised his name is actually Oberyn after reading the wiki article, what the f...and I thought it was Dawn. weird.

ReputationRep:
    But I sorta think that's what makes the show/book so great. You don't get that anywhere else I don't think

Okay after each death it took me ages to get over it. But I still feel it's so awesome, great,cool,fabulous, fantastic!!(I can't think of fancy words at the moment :sigh:) gaaah!!!! Because no one is safe and anyone can get the throne

ReputationRep:
    Carl Drogo and Prince O' Brien? :rofl:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    They follow the books. That's why they die.

ReputationRep:
    Basically what Divinity A said. But you have to admit , you literally have no idea what's going to happen next - makes it so much more exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Winter Is Coming.

ReputationRep:
    GRRM is a giant douchebag
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I know, I miss Prince O'Brien. Why did that Irish ******* not just wear a helmet :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understand this show at all. And, as I'm sure every single person who read your op is dying to tell you, his name is Prince Oberyn.

one of my absolute favourite scenes, really miss the guy

(Original post by Greg Jackson)
      GRRM is a giant douchebag
      basically, he seems to take delight in intentionally going against things that frequently happen in fantasy novels

Spoiler:
      Show
      (e.g. the Red Wedding, while he said he found it difficult, he made sure that pretty much anyone who would have had a chance of getting revenge was just eradicated, gf Robb Jr., gf Talisa/Jeyne(?), Edmure is done for probably lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stinkum)
      Major spoilers, look away if you haven't watched it.

I'm nearly finished watching season 4. But now I'm extremely annoyed. Why? Because this show keeps on killing some of its best characters. Nearly all of the Starks got wiped out early on, but why?! I know that the show is based on the book, but I've never read the book and don't really care about it. Ned and Rob Stark were quite interesting, why couldn't they kill off Cersei for example.

OMG and Carl Drogo...WHY DID THEY HAVE TO KILL HIM?!?!?!?!?!? I thought the actor Jason Momoa was absolutely SUPER badass as the Dothraki leader, awesome character and one of my favourites. It was so frustrating when they decided to kill him off so early in the show!! Such a cheap way to die, too. Shame. Would have loved to see more of him.

Let me highlight another example: Prince O'Brien. I thought he was a really cool character, loved his last scene...but why on EARTH did Mountain have to murder him so brutally??!! It makes no sense!! I'm so annoyed right now that there's no more Prince O'Brien, he was a decent character, shame we'll never see him wield a spear again. That whole scene...it was shaping up for a happy ending. Now we probably won't even see any more of the Mountain anyway, just makes no sense why they did that.

And now, I'm guessing they're going to execute Tyrion...WHY.

WHYYYYY

And why did they cut off Jamie's hand and render him useless as a swordsman?!?!?! ARGGGHHHHH

And WHY did they kill off Locke?! He was cool. And Jaqen H'ghar (okay he's still alive somewhere, but we never saw him since season 2 I think it was, and he only appeared briefly anyway)...really interesting character which unfortunately we won't see anymore.

This show spends far too much time on its more boring characters and boring filler subplots, while killing off its most interesting characters (or not providing them enough screen time). It's senseless.

STOP KILLING OFF INTERESTING CHARACTERS.
      There are are so many characters in GOT that some have to be removed to make space for others to shine, or to let the story move forwards. The characters only exist to serve the plot, after all.

The death of Khal Drogo is a good example of this. If he didn't die, how would Daenerys be shown leading her followers, liberating slaves and become a Messiah figure in the eyes of many? It's hard to imagine this happening if she stayed the queen of a brutal tribe who weren't to bothered about slavery.

Jaime's hand also has to be cut off. He needs to lose his pride, ego and all that makes him awesome in order to catalyse some quite serious character development in other areas. If the show follows the book at all, you're going to see some very interesting changes in this character over the next couple of seasons, as well as how this affects Cersei (which is massive in terms of the plot).

RE the death of Oberyn:
      Spoiler:
      Show

This is crucial on two fronts. His being killed in King's Landing is a major factor in the uprising of Dorne against the rest of Westeros. Also, if Oberyn wasn't killed, it's hard to imagine Tyrion taking the time to shoot Tywin with a crossbow if he's heading off to Dorne. Also, how will Tyrion end up across the narrow sea and meet up with Daenerys?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JuliusDS92)
      There are are so many characters in GOT that some have to be removed to make space for others to shine, or to let the story move forwards. The characters only exist to serve the plot, after all.

The death of Khal Drogo is a good example of this. If he didn't die, how would Daenerys be shown leading her followers, liberating slaves and become a Messiah figure in the eyes of many? It's hard to imagine this happening if she stayed the queen of a brutal tribe who weren't to bothered about slavery.

Jaime's hand also has to be cut off. He needs to lose his pride, ego and all that makes him awesome in order to catalyse some quite serious character development in other areas. If the show follows the book at all, you're going to see some very interesting changes in this character over the next couple of seasons, as well as how this affects Cersei (which is massive in terms of the plot).

RE the death of Oberyn:
      Spoiler:
      Show

This is crucial on two fronts. His being killed in King's Landing is a major factor in the uprising of Dorne against the rest of Westeros. Also, if Oberyn wasn't killed, it's hard to imagine Tyrion taking the time to shoot Tywin with a crossbow if he's heading off to Dorne. Also, how will Tyrion end up across the narrow sea and meet up with Daenerys?
      DAMN IT I read your spoiler and I haven't watched the season finale yet

WHY DID I READ THE SPOILER

WHHYYYYYYY

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.