Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [0,1] is closed, [0,1) is open/closed, so why is it that [0,infinity) is a closed set?

I thought if you include the upper limit the set is closed, but as there is no real number for infinity how is closed?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackToMathsAgain)
    [0,1] is closed, [0,1) is open, so why is it that [0,infinity) is a closed set?

I thought if you include the upper limit the set is closed, but as there is no real number for infinity how is closed?
    Is [0,1) not half open/half closed
    [0,infinity) is half open/half closed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Is [0,1) not half open/half closed
    [0,infinity) is half open/half closed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my bad on [0,1), you are correct. My notes say that [0,infinity) is closed though :s
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackToMathsAgain)
    my bad on [0,1), you are correct. My notes say that [0,infinity) is closed though :s
    That's weird: my notes say it's open, but when I google it people say it's closed?

Maybe someone with some more knowledge can help us.

EDIT: I've checked Thomas' Calculus (twelfth edition) and on ap-3 it says that [a,infinity) is a closed set. As does Wolfram MathWorld.

Wikipedia however (which obviously is a great source compared to the two mentioned above) says this notation is ambiguous?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked my notes again, and the lecturer says we could class [0,infinity) as a closed set, but the explanation is beyond the scope of the module??

I'm in favour of this being ambiguous, but I'd like to hear what anyone else has to say??

ReputationRep:
    In a topological sense, with the usual topology on \mathbb{R}, [0,\infty) is a closed set because the complement (-\infty, 0) is an open set (that is, for any x \in (-\infty, 0) you can find an \epsilon > 0 such that (x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon) \subset (-\infty, 0))

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understand what it means for a set to be closed if you cannot see why [0,∞), with its usual topology, is closed. Reread your definition, it has absolutely nothing to do with brackets. Furthermore, [0,1) is not open/closed, it is neither.

ReputationRep:
    The way I visualize this for the real line is to imagine a sequence that converges. A set S is closed only if every sequence that converges also converges to a point in S. So in other words, [0,1] is closed because if  x_n \to x and  0 \leq x_n \leq 1 then  x \in [0,1] . Similarly,  [0,\infty) is closed because every convergent sequence will also have a limit in  [0,\infty) . Obviously  [0,1) is not closed because of  1-\frac{1}{n} .

Edit: I hope this isn't too confusing, but a set can be open and simultaneously closed. I won't go into details, but the point is that open and closed are just names. They are also stupid names, which is why something can be open and closed simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    It contains all of its own limit points. So it's closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Online tutoring i the best in current situation , one can get the study while sitting in home .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalNumber)
    The way I visualize this for the real line is to imagine a sequence that converges. A set S is closed only if every sequence that converges also converges to a point in S.
    Shouldn't this say "A set S is closed only if every sequence of points in S that converges also converges to a point in S"?

By the way, it's clear that this is a very tricky topic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    By the way, it's clear that this is a very tricky topic.
    Wow, there really is a video like this for everything that upsets people! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.