The Student Room Group

Do schools REALLY do anything about bullying?

Scroll to see replies

My school always brags to all the parents about how they don't tolerate any form or bullying wither it be name calling or violence but I've never seen anything actually done to stop it. I have my own personal case of bullying which to an extent is still going on as well as 2 other boys I know that are still being bullied.

For years both boys were bullied because of how they looked. It completely shattered their self esteem and they completely isolated themselves from everyone and whenever they tried to stand up for themselves more of them would just join in. I see it walking home from school one of them walks alone while peoe throw things at him and trip him up constantly. The other has left school now but still gets ridiculed on social network sites for the way he wants to dress. And when our school has to deal with bullies they sit them down together with a teacher present and they question them and try and get to a deeper reason to resolve whatever is causing the bullying.

I see what they're trying to do but what always is the bully lies and the victim is to scared to say anything while they're present and it just gets swept under the rug and it's 'dealt with'
No. Hence why kids need to learn how to fight. Guaranteed end to bullying in less than 10 seconds
Original post by bertstare
No. Hence why kids need to learn how to fight. Guaranteed end to bullying in less than 10 seconds

Or do what I did. Man up and ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Or do what I did. Man up and ignore it

Posted from TSR Mobile

It just isn't as simple as that when you're a kid though. It can be very hard to ignore.
Original post by Keyser-Soze
I've just recently joined up, so I have no idea where to post this thread. Feel free to move accordingly!

I'd like to start by telling my story, but you can just skim through this and answer the question, if you're too lazy to read it. I just want to highlight my own VERY EXTREME experiences with school/bullying, and I'd be happy to hear other people's too.

I come from a privileged background, so my school was a private boarding school, though I was a day student (not sure if this could have impacted my experience.) I went to this school from nursery until around year 7-8 (when the bullying got literally TOO much, see below.)

I never really had any friends there, even when I was younger. I didn't really want friends either. I was happy being alone and I know it sounds strange, but from an early age I was really interested in my studies, especially maths and science, so I tended to spend more of my time studying. People tended to just ignore or avoid me, and I liked it that way...But that didn't last long.

A boy started associating with me, and although I didn't really want friends, it felt good to actually have one. For once, I didn't feel so abnormal. I felt like I had someone to talk to. Though we didn't hang out a lot outside of school (he lived there, I didn't), I confided in him quite a lot and actually saw him as a friend.

But then for some reason, he turned against me. I have no idea why he chose me. One day, I just walked into school, and the whole school literally started laughing and calling me names. He even went as far as to tell them personal things about me that I'd trusted him with (how insecure I was about my skin - I had mild acne, how I loved my studies, how I lived in an area which wasn't as wealthy as where they'd come from - though still wealthy, etc.) He also started spreading rumors about me. This only gave everyone more fuel to bully me with.

At first, I didn't say anything to anyone, as I assumed it would blow over. It didn't. It just kept getting worse. I couldn't walk down the corridor without someone making a comment or tripping or shoving me. They called me every name under the sun, and this obviously ran into the classroom. Every time I'd get called on to answer a question they'd laugh and mutter stuff. Teachers obviously must have taken note of it by this point, or they'd be too dense to be teachers. All they did was discipline them briefly in class.

Everything I did was criticised. I had social networking sites at the time and the bullying extended to this. Every time I uploaded a picture one of them would comment saying something like "Lol Charlie thinks he's so good-looking." When I liked people's things - "Lol Charlie thinks he's actually got friends." When I posted things - "Lol Charlie thinks he's so hilarious." I was probably around 12-13 at this time. It got so bad that I had to disable wallposts and comments.

One day, I just couldn't take it anymore, and I came home crying. So I was forced to tell my mother everything. Obviously she visited the school, and they said they'd take care of it, that it wasn't tolerated, blah, blah, blah. But I couldn't even name names because it was LITERALLY the whole school. I told them about the guy who'd pretended to be my friend. He got punished for a week, made to apologise to me, but it never stopped.

My brother saw their posts on my account and threatened physical violence against them. It never stopped. They retaliated by threatening me. I just lied to my brother and pretended it'd stopped because I got a threat everyday, and they never followed through with it. It just became the normal.

I started self-harming (but that's a different story.) One of them must have saw in P.E. or something because the next story was "Charlie's slitting his wrists for attention." Again, I cried at home, and again my mother came to the school. She actually came to the school around three times, but the same process as above always happened.

After one of the times, they threatened me again. All of my texts were threats, so I didn't believe it. I went to the bus stop that night and four of them jumped me. I was in the hospital for months. My mother filed a lawsuit (she's an attorney) against them. The headteacher got fired. Three of them got sentenced, but since there were no witnesses it was hard to build a concrete case (and they were minors.) The doctors saw the marks on my arms and assumed I was going to kill myself, so did my family. I wasn't. I got involuntarily confined to a mental hospital for adolescents.

Is this seriously how bad it has to be for schools to take notice?!

I lost around a year of my life in hospitals alone.

However, my life did get better after this incident.

I went to a new school and actually made friends. Then I went to college and my life picked up even more. I met my best friend and my girlfriend last year :smile: Even though my brother had actually told people to be my friend, I made my own friends. (That made me feel awful.)

I changed myself completely. People now describe me as "confident", "popular", "attractive", etc. But I feel horrible whenever someone calls me any of these things because I'm not...I fake everything. I fake confidence. I just talk to anyone and everyone (I literally never shut up), and for some reason people take this as confidence. I'm "popular" because of my brother and because I'm "like him" in that I talk to everyone and anyone.

I'm not attractive. I've only ever told the people closest to me this, but I still have horrible skin and freckles. I actually wear foundation and concealer...Not even joking. I also really, really straighten my hair. It takes me three hours to get ready. Only my girlfriend and my brother and my now closest friends have seen my natural, horrible skin and hair. I cover up my arms at all times with bands and bracelets. I have a gym in my house that I use constantly. Now I say everything bluntly...Like I don't even care if I offend people. I just tell the truth, which is why everyone seems to for some reason like me and my posts. People also hate me because of this, but not as much as before. I actually just laugh about these people hating me now when I would've cried before last year.

So, yeah, this whole thing still haunts me, even to the point where I can't go out in my city because I'm frightened I'll see one of them. I actually saw one of them in my college (I purposefully went to a non-private college, so I wouldn't see them), and I started having a panic attack. I told my girlfriend and friend everything because they kept asking why I wouldn't go out. They've been really supportive, and with them I do go out, but I still get panicky.

We actually had a conversation about bullying. My girlfriend said she was bullied, called ugly, etc, by a group of guys. Her parents went to the school, too, and nothing was done about it. Luckily they grew out of their bullying. My other friend was bullied for being gay throughout secondary school, and again nothing was done about it.

Anyway, I guess you could say I now have a good life? But my point is that this thing has totally scarred me and I'll have to live with it forever :frown: The whole thing could have been resolved if the school had just done something before it'd escalated.

Tl;dr - I was bullied at a private school to the point where I was beaten up and hospitalised. My mother had gone to the school three times and nothing was done. Now I have a good life (?) with friends and a girlfriend, but I'll never recover from this. My confidence has been shattered beyond repair.

So...As the title states, do schools really do anything about bullying? Do they seriously only act in extreme cases like mine? Have you been bullied? If so, did your school do a good job in tackling it?

Rule number one when being bullied is to act like it is not getting to you mainly by laughing it off.

Schools have no power over Kids and unless they hit you they can't do much. I've been racially abused at school and they still didn't do anything apart from detention.
Original post by RFowler
It just isn't as simple as that when you're a kid though. It can be very hard to ignore.

I had it from the age of 4...Developed this attitude when I was 12
Teachers avert their eyes, in my experience.
My school did next to nothing about bullying -.- The teachers took it seriously enough but their idea of 'helping' was getting the bully and the victim in the same room to "talk about feelings". This just made it worse in lots of cases as the bully told their friends that the victim had snitched on them and blah blah. If I was a head teacher, you bully a kid, you get a month in detention and if any bullying continues you're out of my school and you ain't coming back. :hmpf: Most schools do something, but lots don't do the right thing:hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was bullied aswell in school. But nowadays, Im a little stronger and have a better mindset. I prepare my self for bullies before I go to Uni or College, by going to the gym, lifting and doing cardio. Hitting someone at Uni is not my intention but I do have to prepare myself. Although I still have a bit of less confidence.

But yeah, in schools there are lots of bullying but teachers dont do much. Some teachers even end up sucking up to the bullies.
Just gotta stay strong...

There was a guy in school who kept taking my dinner money and I got annoyed because Im a diabetic so I pushed him to the floor and grabbed him. He didnt do anything after that..
Seems like everyone on TSR has been bullied LOL!!
Man a lot of bullying going on...

I was bullied for a Year in Year 5, but in fairness the guy was an absolute dick to everyone.

After that nothing really, occasional comment from people due to being a bit eccentric, but since others found it endearing it didn't go anywhere. Also as someone else said, ignore it or just jokily agree with their insult, as it puts them off not getting the reaction they want. I mean this guy in six-form would always talk sarcastically to me, say my name sarcastically etc, thought he was better than everyone and I was odd apparently. He heard I kept tarantulas so kept saying stuff like "oooh wow spiiiders, you keep spiders, that's so cool..yeah spiders", just dumb ass annoying stuff like that hoping others would laugh with him I guess. So I just went "Yeah I do actually mate *I move over so I'm sitting next to him*, yeah my first tarantula was a C.cyaneopubescens, got it a few years back, really great colouration...", just went on and on to him for like 10 mins plus with him saying "piss off" and me saying "mate you don't mean that, I know you love to hear about my spiders", poor guy, but highly entertaining. Never brought up spiders again though. You just got to joke around people like that, because they're a joke anyway..

If its physical group violence that;s more difficult, if it's one person pissing you off mainly though but you're able to act friendly and they let you get close, then just put your hands on their shoulders, push them back suddenly then instantly pull them forward again and headbutt them as hard as you can, better if you can grab their shirt to pull them forward as it's more likely to make their arms flail and not block, bring your head down and aim for the nose, the motion of them going back then forward makes their head tilt and thus when you smash into them has a greater chance of causing neck injury...then crown of the head to the nose has a greater chance of breaking it.

....or erm...you could...not I guess.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending