Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Chances of getting into university this September are low so

Could I still do A-Levels at a college at age 18? I would technically still be 19 when I finished my A2 (august born) but I heard you can't do A-Levels as it's for 16-18 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    You can. I'm pretty sure there's fees though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)

Could I still do A-Levels at a college at age 18? I would technically still be 19 when I finished my A2 (august born) but I heard you can't do A-Levels as it's for 16-18 year olds?
    You can do A-levels at whatever age you like provided you have the time, funds (I believe some places charge if you've done that level of qualification before? I'm not 100% sure on that) and a location to do so.

I did a third year of A-levels and it was free at my local college, but I'm not sure if that's the norm.

ReputationRep:
    After a certain age (I think it is 19 in the UK), you are no longer entitled to free state education. If you want to A-Levels after this age, you can, but you have to pay for it yourself. This includes the tuition and the cost of the examinations which can become quite large.

I just sat 11 exams for A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics as a private candidate, and it cost £830 in total.

Unless your parents can help you out, you'll probably have to find a temporary job to fund your studies.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Are you currently at Sixth Form or College? Some Sixth Forms allow you to resit A-levels. A few of my friends did this. They are 19 now, as am I.

Also, some Sixth Forms allow private candidates. Some do not. I'm guessing you have finished your A-levels now? If you turn 19 before the September academic year, then you would need to pay for A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Are you currently at Sixth Form or College? Some Sixth Forms allow you to resit A-levels. A few of my friends did this. They are 19 now, as am I.

Also, some Sixth Forms allow private candidates. Some do not. I'm guessing you have finished your A-levels now? If you turn 19 before the September academic year, then you would need to pay for A-levels.
    I was at a College, finished in July but did a BTEC (massive regrets) and that college only do BTECS or else I would of applied there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    After a certain age (I think it is 19 in the UK), you are no longer entitled to free state education. If you want to A-Levels after this age, you can, but you have to pay for it yourself. This includes the tuition and the cost of the examinations which can become quite large.

I just sat 11 exams for A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics as a private candidate, and it cost £830 in total.

Unless your parents can help you out, you'll probably have to find a temporary job to fund your studies.
    by September I'll be 18, so will AS be free, but A2 cost money due to being 19 by the time A2 comes
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I was at a College, finished in July but did a BTEC (massive regrets) and that college only do BTECS or else I would of applied there.
    Yeah, BTEC is not the best. Also, as someone mentioned, you are going to either ask family members/carers for money to help pay for the A-levels or/and get a part time job to help you. If you want to do 3 A-levels, it's going to cost you a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    It is certainly possible! If you are younger than 20 at the start of your course you can study a Level 3 course without paying fees. At age 18 I decided to go back to college and do a whole new set of A-Levels, and because I was younger than 20 I didn't have to pay (I only stayed for one extra year, 3 years of college was enough for me!). Take into consideration you will be in classes with people who are 16, too, which wasn't a huge deal for me, apart from the social aspect outside of college, which was pretty lacking because of their ages.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, I went to college for a year then decided to do A-levels, I've been 18 in my AS year, I'll be 18 in A2 this year and will turn 19 during A2

ReputationRep:
    We finish high school when we are 17 over here so I started AS level when I was 18 and by the time I finish my a2 I will be 20.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If you do it (start) at 19 or older, you have to pay for them though.

ReputationRep:

A-levels are for anyone of any age, just like with any courses.
    Since you will be 19 when you finish them (18 when you started them) , you shouldnt have to pay. Its only usually if you are 19 or over when you start that you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    You can. Many people go to university, having done a levels and then decide they want to do another, different, degree and do different AS Levels to fit that. I know two who did that, did Hebrew or something and Law at Oxford then did all science and maths AS and went to Cambridge for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    How can you get funding to go back to College?.

Also if you have been a few years previously(2007-2009) and completed the 2 years, will you be able to resit modules or do them A-level's become invalid because they are not recent?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    I'm 18, I went to college for a year then decided to do A-levels, I've been 18 in my AS year, I'll be 18 in A2 this year and will turn 19 during A2
    How did that seem like because next year I will be 18 starting a levels, when some of my friends will be in their A2 year or off to university

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.