Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Medical schools in the UK and Ireland in the fall of this year, and I was wondering if my application would be competitive enough. Currently I am looking at some of the london universities (ICL / UCL / KCL etc.), manchester, birmingham as well as a few others in Scotland and Ireland.

(i)GCSEs: 9A*s 1A
    1. Physics - A*
    2. Chemistry - A*
    3. Biology - A*
    4. History - A*
    5. Economics - A*
    6. Chinese - A*
    7. Extended Maths - A*
    8. Additional Maths - A*
    9. English Language - A*
    10. English Literature - A

IB: Predicted 44 or 45
    (HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Math - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL Chinese - 7, SL English Lang/Lit 6 or 7)

Work Experience:
    1. Doctor Shadowing - Anesthesiologist, Endocrinologist, Pediatrician
    2. Two Week Internship at a Cancer Hospital (Administrative work)
    3. Two Week Internship with Polio Campaign in Pakistan - administering oral polio vaccine
    4. Two Years at an old persons home for the physically and mentally disabled

School Extracurriculars:
    1. Chair of School's Medical Society
    2. Biology Editor of School Science Magazine
    3. Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award

I am taking the UKCAT and BMAT in the next couple of months.

Does this look competitive enough and does anybody have any advice as to which medical schools I should look at?

ReputationRep:
    good academics obviously; but you need to ideally have voluntary work in a caring environment, not just work experience? Also any more non-academic extracurriculars?

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not.

/sarcasm

You have near perfect GCSEs and seem set for the same for IB. You have volunteered and done work experience, and as long as you can reflect on that you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishysmile)
    I'm applying to Medical schools in the UK and Ireland in the fall of this year, and I was wondering if my application would be competitive enough. Currently I am looking at some of the london universities (ICL / UCL / KCL etc.), manchester, birmingham as well as a few others in Scotland and Ireland.

(i)GCSEs: 9A*s 1A
    1. Physics - A*
    2. Chemistry - A*
    3. Biology - A*
    4. History - A*
    5. Economics - A*
    6. Chinese - A*
    7. Extended Maths - A*
    8. Additional Maths - A*
    9. English Language - A*
    10. English Literature - A

IB: Predicted 44 or 45
    (HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Math - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL Chinese - 7, SL English Lang/Lit 6 or 7)

Work Experience:
    1. Doctor Shadowing - Anesthesiologist, Endocrinologist, Pediatrician
    2. Two Week Internship at a Cancer Hospital (Administrative work)
    3. Two Week Internship with Polio Campaign in Pakistan - administering oral polio vaccine

School Extracurriculars:
    1. Chair of School's Medical Society
    2. Biology Editor of School Science Magazine
    3. Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award

I am taking the UKCAT and BMAT in the next couple of months.

Does this look competitive enough and does anybody have any advice as to which medical schools I should look at?
    It depends on how good your personal statement is and where you're applying. You could apply to Newcastle and have the same chance as a person who met the minimum entry requirements. Keep that in mind. Look at how universities use GCSE, UKCAT, BMAT and talk to the medicine advisor at your school if you have one. Ours advised us to write out personal statement and do our UKCAT before finally making a decision on where we want to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solarplexus)
    good academics obviously; but you need to ideally have voluntary work in a caring environment, not just work experience? Also any more non-academic extracurriculars?
    I play in my school's Varsity Cricket Team and learn the guitar at school, but apart from the ones listed above thats about it - unfortunately due to the academic workload of IB I had to cut down on extracurriculars after IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vee_wuvshugs)
    It depends on how good your personal statement is and where you're applying. You could apply to Newcastle and have the same chance as a person who met the minimum entry requirements. Keep that in mind. Look at how universities use GCSE, UKCAT, BMAT and talk to the medicine advisor at your school if you have one. Ours advised us to write out personal statement and do our UKCAT before finally making a decision on where we want to apply.
    For most Uni's is making the minimum UKCAT or BMAT threshold good enough if the rest of academics are strong, or is having a higher UKCAT/BMAT always advantageous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solarplexus)
    I would have thought that the 2 years in a care home would be more than enough with regards to the caring side of experience

Edit - Looking at the first person to quote the OP this wasn't mentioned. Strange that OP wouldn't mention that until someone pointed it out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.