The Student Room Group

Nursing or Pharmacy? Which one?

I understand they are two completely different professions; however, after giving it a lot of thought, I simply cannot decide between the two.
For A levels I have taken Chemistry, Maths, and Biology. I know I'm not able to become a doctor but that's fine with me.

I have always loved Chemistry but I definitely know I will not be taking it up to University level. And I believe that Pharmacy has the appropriate amount of Chemistry that I would like and also you get an opportunity to speak with clients/ patients especially during consultations. But there is one thing: unemployment. I'm really worried that I would struggle to find a job and I have read many threads here saying that becoming a pharmacist would be competitive as it's over-saturated.

On the other hand, I have also looked into doing nursing. I have done numerous work experiences in hospital (I have done also work experiences as well for pharmacy) and I have enjoyed it so far. I have found it to be quite challenging and rewarding at the same time and I really do enjoy the amount of patient contact as well! However, in comparison with pharmacy, it's not as better paid and there's not a lot of chemistry.

Could anyone help me decide, please? :smile:

Thank you, in advance!!
Well at the moment, the NHS has a shortage of nurses but universities are practically mass producing pharmacists :s-smilie:
Have you looked at other courses such as biomed or clinical science?
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Well at the moment, the NHS has a shortage of nurses but universities are practically mass producing pharmacists :s-smilie:
Have you looked at other courses such as biomed or clinical science?

I have looked into biomedical science and it doesn't really interest me. Do you know any courses besides Biomed/Biochem? The reason I don't wanna do Biomed/Biochem is graduate prospects too! Most biochem/biomed students would end up as accountants etc. and it's the route I prefer not to go. :/ And Exactly!! NHS has shortage of nurses and it's one of the reasons that is compelling me to choose it as I know I will end up with a job whereas pharmacy is filled with uncertainty! I really don't know :frown:
Reply 3
It's only a few suggestions I guess from what I seen offered at universities but why not read up on computer science? Thats science related and earth sciences! But is it the "helping" kind of career you want to do? (What I mean by that is like being a Pharmacist you help with stuff and nursing you care for the ill ect.) Or would you not mind being adventerous with science related degrees?
Original post by confucius2414
I have looked into biomedical science and it doesn't really interest me. Do you know any courses besides Biomed/Biochem? The reason I don't wanna do Biomed/Biochem is graduate prospects too! Most biochem/biomed students would end up as accountants etc. and it's the route I prefer not to go. :/ And Exactly!! NHS has shortage of nurses and it's one of the reasons that is compelling me to choose it as I know I will end up with a job whereas pharmacy is filled with uncertainty! I really don't know :frown:

Also, you really enjoy the hospital environment and trust me, no day is ever the same ( I hear my mum's stories all the time - she's a nurse) while as a pharmacist you might be lucky to even get a job let alone one in a hospital. I would talk to a careers advisor or someone like that if I were you. Maybe there's a post-grad degree for nurses which would offer a job with the amount of chemistry you're looking for. Good luck :smile:
I think nursing is a good option. Main reason being you can work your way upwards and "Nurse practitioners" do quite a broad job and is able to prescribe medication as well.

If you want to know about the pay, I know a few nursing agencies, who pay £300 for a single night **** (this is for a nurse working in a care home, for hospitals it could be high). Keep in mind, you also need to pay taxes for any job.

Nursing also has a good job market and you really do a service to the people.
Thank you soo much everyone!!

Quick Reply

Latest