Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't or wouldn't you vote? Watch

• View Poll Results: Why don't/wouldn't you vote?
    I do vote (please state why)
    65.52%
    It doesn't interest me
    5.17%
    I don't care about who wins
    6.03%
    I can't choose - there's more than 1 party I like
    2.59%
    I don't know enough about their policies
    4.31%
    I don't think my vote will make a difference
    17.24%
    I can't be bothered
    9.48%
    Other (please state)
    10.34%

ReputationRep:
    Please help - I'm trying to get some feedback from university students about why you don't or wouldn't vote in the general/local/etc elections. Please explain your reasoning below.

I'd also like voters to state why they do. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    Other: I'd get put on the electoral register and I might get called up for jury service.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Same person, different tie. Nothing ever changes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Any other reasons?

ReputationRep:
    I vote because
    1) it's my right and I'll take whatever rights I'm given against the state, whether it's a measley almost worthless vote in the FPTP system or a very unfortified right to free speech (in our country)
    2) for every intelligent person (I'd say I'm pretty all right in that department) that doesn't vote, a stupid person will vote in their place
    3) I am not going to complain after the result of an election/a government policy if I never even bothered trying to sway that said result, so I *will* complain, and vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian s)
    Yeah good one mate.

What an ignorant answer, clearly you don't deserve a vote and presumably you would like to live in an authoritarian country like China where there is not face book, TSR ect....

Oh but wait! Thats's it you don't care if it is Chairman Mao or President Putin as they are just 'the same person, different tie. Nothing ever changes.' I am sure people though that when people in German in the late 1930's voted for Hitler and the Nazi's....

ReputationRep:
    Other - I don't know who to vote for because I know too little about most voting issues (the economy, the NHS, transport, education, etc). I'm not going to vote for someone because their policies sound good, I want to actually understand the issue at hand and the consequences of certain actions related to that issue. As I am quite ignorant of most things I feel it would be wrong of me to vote (I might end up voting for something that doesn't work/has negative consequences).

So basically i'm not informed enough.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It differs from one election to another, but I don't think my vote makes a difference and there isn't any party I support enough to fully get behind them.

In the European elections I voted, because it's a proportional system instead of first past the post and due to the low turnout, your voting power is effectively doubled from what it would be at a general election.

But at general elections, the FPTP system usually forces you to choose between the two biggest parties (usually labour or conservative, maybe lib dem in some seats), who I do not support, as other parties have no chance of success. Especially in safe seats, where only one party may be anywhere near an effective challenger. So I don't know if I'll vote at the general election.

ReputationRep:
    In the UK/US the path to a mandated legislative body is the outcome of a historical process in which the social elites circumscribed and then appropriated the power of the monarchy (after murdering one in the UK’s case). The power of the monarch to put his/her man or woman in positions of authority was adopted by all the political parties that succeeded it - the community does not choose its representatives, the parties hierarchies do in order to control the personnel in the party who are allowed to go forward and represent the parties interest which is in supine subordination to the private financial world (whose aims are motivationally distinct and institutionally separated from societal aims - which partisan political parties are somehow supposed to promote). As Billy C is reported to have said, “Don’t vote, it only encourages them” (not to change their behaviour). We should vote, a large cross across the ballot paper would indicate how many of the electorate are tired of the rigged game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Other - I don't know who to vote for because I know too little about most voting issues (the economy, the NHS, transport, education, etc). I'm not going to vote for someone because their policies sound good, I want to actually understand the issue at hand and the consequences of certain actions related to that issue. As I am quite ignorant of most things I feel it would be wrong of me to vote (I might end up voting for something that doesn't work/has negative consequences).

So basically i'm not informed enough.
    That's a really interesting point, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by landscape2014)
    In the UK/US the path to a mandated legislative body is the outcome of a historical process in which the social elites circumscribed and then appropriated the power of the monarchy (after murdering one in the UK’s case). The power of the monarch to put his/her man or woman in positions of authority was adopted by all the political parties that succeeded it - the community does not choose its representatives, the parties hierarchies do in order to control the personnel in the party who are allowed to go forward and represent the parties interest which is in supine subordination to the private financial world (whose aims are motivationally distinct and institutionally separated from societal aims - which partisan political parties are somehow supposed to promote). As Billy C is reported to have said, “Don’t vote, it only encourages them” (not to change their behaviour). We should vote, a large cross across the ballot paper would indicate how many of the electorate are tired of the rigged game
    Interesting ideas. I agree with a lot of that.

(Original post by NewWithHashtags.)
    That's a really interesting point, thank you
    I would say that sometimes I vote, but often I don't.

I've said it before in another thread, but basically, I think politicians in this democracy are often manipulative and dishonest. I think the focus is so much more about gaining power and having it for as long as possible, rather than serving people. They are leaders, but leaders should be a little like Jesus (excuse me if you aren't Christian, but this is a good point so hear me out lol), who was a great example of someone who led by serving people. By humbling himself to the very lowest, associating himself with the poorest and loneliest of people, washing their feet, just saying the truth all the time, and most of all, willing to sacrifice for people that he was leader of, simply because of love.

I think politicians should lead because they love their country and want to do what they think is best for it, rather than just chase power, cabinet positions and money. On the other hand, playing this game of manipulation and rhetoric seems like the only way to win and get any power to make changes in the system we have in the UK. Then to me, we have a problem! Perhaps democracy is the best thing humans can come up with, but it's definitely not perfect. I actually think what we have at the moment is really bad.

Also, when I'm deciding to vote, I'm normally faced with a dilemma. Who am I voting for? It all seems very selfish. Do I vote for the party that makes my life better? Do I vote to help the poorest? I could vote to stop the particularly terrible parties getting power, but then which party should get that vote?

Finally, it's the subjective value judgements. Voting requires making decisions on what matters. I don't like it when I don't know the answer, and I'm just taking a punt. What does my vote mean then? I like to think there are correct answers. But then I don't have the right information to work out who the right party is to vote for.

So generally I'll vote if there's a particular issue I seriously care about, and even then, I might have to narrow it down to a couple parties, and then do ip-dip-doo.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian s)
    Well that's obviously not true.

ReputationRep:
    Other, because it's about time we done it a little different and a low turn out seems like the most likely way of getting some change.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I have tended not to vote because I don't pay tax and it doesn't really affect my life on a day-to-day basis. Mass immigration has got me voting, though, as has the issue of Scottish independence.

ReputationRep:
    There is no party that actually represents my views. All the major parties are too London centric, which does not represent the rest of the country, especially the countryside which is barely even mentioned by any of the parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    I have tended not to vote because I don't pay tax and it doesn't really affect my life on a day-to-day basis. Mass immigration has got me voting, though, as has the issue of Scottish independence.
    How can you not pay tax, surly you are paying VAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian s)
    Basically this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    How can you not pay tax, surly you are paying VAT?
    When people refer to tax as I did, the assumption is that it's income tax.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.