The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory
BMWs are parvenu cars while Macs are now owned by pretty much everyone. At least make an effort.

It looks like there are certainly few people who would be welcoming.
Original post by krazy prince
Oh that's wonderful ! yeah its true about karachi, it is where all the gangsta stuff is but that's the other part of the country from where i live.
I hope i would find people who would be good friends as now i am seeing some like those here. It has raised my hopes of really settling in there.

Yep, the transition is always difficult. There's always a sense of 'racism' from our own people, but like everywhere else you stand your ground and gain your respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by minidee6.12
Yep, the transition is always difficult. There's always a sense of 'racism' from our own people, but like everywhere else you stand your ground and gain your respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It looks to me like it'll be difficult in the start but with time I'll fit in better. What do you think of a student who couldn't talk just as fluent as you. Ofcourse it gets better with time but in the start if somebody isn't as fluent as normal uk students, how would you feel (supposing he is your friend)?
from ur comment i get it a bit. buying advance gadgets and an over priced car itself gives an impression that we r trying to be pretentious right?
and talking about buying me a house, i dun wanna tell anything further that my father wished me to buy but i turned it down, otherwise people would start hating me further as already m gettin a feeling

Sort of, it's more that flash new cars depreciate so much and are so expensive to fuel, and Macs are such poor computers, that almost the only reason anyone would decide to buy them is to show off rather than after a considered price/spec/need comparison.

People here do drive executive saloons but only if they have a proper job and it is in most cases a company car. Driving a BMW into uni every day would be as pretentious as turning up in a suit and tie.

A house is different in my view because it is not a good investment to rent if you can buy. To rent just for the sake of slumming it is insulting in its own way to normal people, it's coming from Greece with a thirst for knowledge, if you'll search up the reference.

Our class system is still in full swing despite what people tell you and the idea is not that the richest engage in the most flagrant conspicuous consumption, like a Saudi prince. They make investments, live privately, exercise noblesse oblige, and communicate their membership of the upper class mainly by their activities, speech and mannerisms. You will not be admired (certainly not by anyone who matters) for conspicuous consumption, if you want that go to an affluent American city.
I'd say just get a less fancy car and don't let them buy you a flat until after first year, and when they do, make it a 2 or 3 bed flat and rent out the empty rooms to other students. I know of a few people like that and while I'd certainly see them as coming from a wealthier background I wouldn't seem them as particularly spoilt.
when u go to uni you meet so many diferent people
i always thought posh people were diferent or that anyone with a "posh accent" would actually be posh
i lived with a few people like that and they were so down to earth and normal and not posh like u would think at all
u realise everyone is the same really
the vast majority of people won't care if you're Pakistani, British, wealthy or poor. They will treat you depending on how you treat them. On a side note I couldn't agree more with Sheepish153 on the charity thing.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say just get a less fancy car and don't let them buy you a flat until after first year, and when they do, make it a 2 or 3 bed flat and rent out the empty rooms to other students. I know of a few people like that and while I'd certainly see them as coming from a wealthier background I wouldn't seem them as particularly spoilt.

After reading all the comments, I would suggest them not to buy me any of those haha.
Original post by jimbo007
the vast majority of people won't care if you're Pakistani, British, wealthy or poor. They will treat you depending on how you treat them. On a side note I couldn't agree more with Sheepish153 on the charity thing.

Really? How is the discrimination scene like in the unis? I would recommend an unbiased advice and not to just give me hope.
I find it difficult to believe by this point in the thread no one knows that OP is a troll.
Really? How is the discrimination scene like in the unis? I would recommend an unbiased advice and not to just give me hope.

I go to a state school with a massive boarding house, there are stacks of kids like you and they all get treated well. I assume universities will be the same
From what I've observed, in the UK (generalizations don't apply to everyone, but generally speaking) people are very sensitive about issues like class and social status, and easily get annoyed at the sight of a rich person, especially so if they're a foreigner. They will find public displays of wealth, e.g. expensive shopping, almost offensive.

In real life, you will most likely be faced with disguised envy and an exaggerated overly polite attitude.

Most of the replies, very hostile, directed at the OP confirm what I say.
I forgot to add, you'll also get asked tasteless questions by people. Questions like: "Oh, is your dad like, loaded?" "You're really rich, aren't you?" and even "What is your dad's salary?" Some of these ill-mannered people should know that it is rude to ask questions about a person's income.
Reply 53
i respect money and wealth.

i respect civilised individuals who respect themselves and others.

i never get jealous of rich people, i have nothing but the highest regard toward them. your parents worked hard to secure a good life for you, why shouldn't you be able to reap the benefits of your parents' hard work? there's no such thing as being spoiled. it only shows that you come from a family were the parents worked very hard to earn lots of money and provide a good life for their children.

also, don't forget that the UK is now a massively multiethnic society. people stopped caring about race and skin colour several decades ago.
Original post by jimbo007
I go to a state school with a massive boarding house, there are stacks of kids like you and they all get treated well. I assume universities will be the same

I hope so as definitely there would be many ready to taunt me whenever they can. This thread actually really helped me to know what's coming ahead. But definitely I want to be friends with the British and know the culture.
Original post by ✈ ✈
I find it difficult to believe by this point in the thread no one knows that OP is a troll.

Lol Oh my God ! Actually most of the people are quite funny for me. The comments are just hilarious.
Reply 56
It's all good but can you please start spelling words out? Your abbreviations hurt my eyes. Plus, not writing out the words makes you seem less intelligent and immature.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello, I am an international student and am holding an offer from kings.
Before moving to UK this Sep, I wanted to know what pschy do UK students have for us and found it quite funny when I read the threads like what do rich international students think of us and they are spoiled etc.
Actually why I made this thread is so I can know why do u actually think we are spoiled or we are different from you when you yourself actually have a huge upper hand (fluent English) . I, before reading threads like this, thought that may be students would think down on me as I don't belong to their culture and dun know how the things go on there (though have visited UK many times as u would expect from a rich int student ;-) ) .
So to tell u about myself , yes I am one of those students who has latest macs, smartphones and my parents will buy me a flat and a BMW when I move there though in no way I think I will be bragging about it or think m better than u people and personally am a very down to earth person, this is the reason m leaving all this wealth n moving over there but still all these come with me where ever I'll move.
Thanks for reading this essay and please share Ur thoughts on why u think students with lots of moneyare not like u.

the fact that you mentioned any of the in bold above, bracketed "rich international student" in the title and constantly felt the need to remind us that you're rich shows that you are spoiled brat who does think they're better than everyone else. when you get here you'll realise no one will care about your wealth, but what they will care about is you doing exactly what you just did: bragging about being rich. I don't even know you, yet I already dislike you, so I hate to think what people will think when they actually get to know you... You asked for the truth? Well, here it is.
Original post by aldanyh
From what I've observed, in the UK (generalizations don't apply to everyone, but generally speaking) people are very sensitive about issues like class and social status, and easily get annoyed at the sight of a rich person, especially so if they're a foreigner. They will find public displays of wealth, e.g. expensive shopping, almost offensive.

In real life, you will most likely be faced with disguised envy and an exaggerated overly polite attitude.

Most of the replies, very hostile, directed at the OP confirm what I say.

If I try to be honest, it comes naturally from many. Even I wish my mother language was English as everybody wants what they don't really have.
You just made an awesome comment and lemme tell you its just the same in Pakistan also so I could conclude that students here or there are somewhat wired in the same way.
Original post by miavdbt
It's all good but can you please start spelling words out? Your abbreviations hurts my eyes. Plus, not writing out the words makes you seem less intelligent and immature.

Somebody above told me this so now I'll write in full in the future. First difference I noticed between the students here and there lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending