The Student Room Group

Car got MOTed, but they found a suspension issue - why didn't Ford see this?

So I went for an MOT check up today since I'm going to drive to France pretty soon, but the technicians told me my car had failed the test as the Wish Bones are broken/damaged. The weird things is I got my car, a Ford Focus, *fully* serviced a couple days ago and the test came back clean aside my rear lights.

I find it weird that, the Ford servicing company, tell me all is fine with my car, but then the MOT people tell me it isn't and up to £200 is needed to refit new aluminium wish bones?

Should I call up the servicing to see what they have to say for themselves? because I don't want to have the idea that I've spent £140 for the full service to have to come back and pay more later.

Thanks.
Bump - this is urgent.
Reply 2
A service = oil and filter change. It's got nothing to do with your suspension.
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
So I went for an MOT check up today since I'm going to drive to France pretty soon, but the technicians told me my car had failed the test as the Wish Bones are broken/damaged. The weird things is I got my car, a Ford Focus, *fully* serviced a couple days ago and the test came back clean aside my rear lights.

I find it weird that, the Ford servicing company, tell me all is fine with my car, but then the MOT people tell me it isn't and up to £200 is needed to refit new aluminium wish bones?

Should I call up the servicing to see what they have to say for themselves? because I don't want to have the idea that I've spent £140 for the full service to have to come back and pay more later.

Thanks.

What was included as part of the service..?

They wouldn't necessarily check your suspension.
Reply 4
Check your service schedule to see if it included suspension checks and query how they check it, i.e. if they just do a visual check.

From the service until your MOT, the wishbones could have been damaged/broken. It'd be a big coincidence but it's possible.
Original post by Jingers
Check your service schedule to see if it included suspension checks and query how they check it, i.e. if they just do a visual check.

From the service until your MOT, the wishbones could have been damaged/broken. It'd be a big coincidence but it's possible.

If that been damaged or broken I would have heard/felt it.
Reply 6
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
If that been damaged or broken I would have heard/felt it.

Sure it's not a failure for corrosion?
Original post by JC.
Sure it's not a failure for corrosion?

It is ... excessive play and deterioration ... I'm getting them replaced tuesday

Quick Reply

Latest