Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I would like to ask people who have had experience with all various A-levels and as I would like to do Medicine/Dentistry I know that I'm definitely choosing Chemistry, Maths and Biology A-level. However I would like to feel less stressed in my forth option and would like an "easy" or "fun" A-level as my fourth option and to drop it after AS. I don't mean to offend anyone but I would also like to enjoy a break in a "relaxed" AS subject. (P.S- I LOVE Chemistry and Biology, always have loved science and maths is a hobby so I'm not saying I don't enjoy these either! I just desperately need a stress free subject at times!)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunni098)
    Hey, I would like to ask people who have had experience with all various A-levels and as I would like to do Medicine/Dentistry I know that I'm definitely choosing Chemistry, Maths and Biology A-level. However I would like to feel less stressed in my forth option and would like an "easy" or "fun" A-level as my fourth option and to drop it after AS. I don't mean to offend anyone but I would also like to enjoy a break in a "relaxed" AS subject. (P.S- I LOVE Chemistry and Biology, always have loved science and maths is a hobby so I'm not saying I don't enjoy these either! I just desperately need a stress free subject at times!)
    Thanks
    Which other subjects do you enjoy?
    (It makes sense to choose out of those you enjoy/would do well in, IMO)

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure really, I decided to have an open mind, plus my school gave me no choice but to do the English Baracculate so I had to do French which I struggle at with only a GCSE B grade at the moment (for mocks, past papers we keep doing and our real exams we took) and I don't know how to enjoy the lessons we have for French as it is really annoying having to learn a lot of vocabulay I won't even use. I done history which I do love but I don't want to be stressed doing this A-level as the memory side of it is way out of my comfort zone! Art is just boring now, whereas at first I was highly enthusiastic about it. So it is really complicated about what to choose lol, I just really want to concerntrate on Chem, Bio and Maths (I will with my fourth option but I just dont want to be having to remember shedloads of stuff!) I know most courses you need to remember things for exams clearly, but I just want something thats not overly complicated to remember

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure really, I decided to have an open mind, plus my school gave me no choice but to do the English Baracculate so I had to do French which I struggle at with only a GCSE B grade at the moment (for mocks, past papers we keep doing and our real exams we took) and I don't know how to enjoy the lessons we have for French as it is really annoying having to learn a lot of vocabulay I won't even use. I done history which I do love but I don't want to be stressed doing this A-level as the memory side of it is way out of my comfort zone! Art is just boring now, whereas at first I was highly enthusiastic about it. So it is really complicated about what to choose lol, I just really want to concerntrate on Chem, Bio and Maths (I will with my fourth option but I just dont want to be having to remember shedloads of stuff!) I know most courses you need to remember things for exams clearly, but I just want something thats not overly complicated to remember
    Hmmm... do you like English? Lit and Lang are well respected, and would make a great 4th option
    Aside from that, a creative subject would be 'easier' so to speak, but you say you don't like art... music? drama?
    Languages are also good, but you don't seem to like French!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I sound so fussy! English is getting better at school at the moment because i've improved majorly in the space of 12 months! I will consider it though, thanks for the idea! I don't know if I would be able to do drama/music as I havent taken it for GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I sound so fussy! English is getting better at school at the moment because i've improved majorly in the space of 12 months! I will consider it though, thanks for the idea! I don't know if I would be able to do drama/music as I havent taken it for GCSE!
    Ahh, okay - I'd definitely say Lit or Lang then!
    They'll look great alongside your subjects, too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the help
    You're welcome! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Take learning skills a level- really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALankyGuy)
    Take learning skills a level- really good
    I haven't seen that on the courses I looked upon:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    My friend is trying for Medicine and studying German, Chemistry, Biology and Physics at AS Level. You could try a language? I wouldn't choose something that's necessarily "easy" but something that's well respected but less weighty. Like for me, I chose Philosophy as my easier AS Level (I've already learnt a decent bit of the syllabus so I know I'd find it pretty easy to be honest).

To be fair, it's down to you but to be competitive, especially to somewhere like Oxbridge if you try there, you would really want to choose a good, strong a-level but something you may find less heavy like I did.

If you were going to go for English, choose Literature not Language, it's not really that well respected. At GCSE, Language is the one you need but at A-Level, Literature is the strong one. It's also a facilitating a-level and if you took that and your already chosen subjects, you'd be a very strong candidate for university admission.

I'd advise against music. My friend, the one who is applying for Medicine and I mentioned before, is Grade 8 Distinction in Clarinet (gained in year 10) and Grade 7, now, on Piano and she struggled with Music - found it incredibly boring and believed it was a waste of a GCSE; I can't imagine AS would be much better but that's all up to you!

I wish you all the best in your decision making process !x

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen that on the courses I looked upon:eek:
    lol joking, i would take something you have an interest in, but you dont necessarily have to be god at it, if you're dropping it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    My friend is trying for Medicine and studying German, Chemistry, Biology and Physics at AS Level. You could try a language? I wouldn't choose something that's necessarily "easy" but something that's well respected but less weighty. Like for me, I chose Philosophy as my easier AS Level (I've already learnt a decent bit of the syllabus so I know I'd find it pretty easy to be honest).

To be fair, it's down to you but to be competitive, especially to somewhere like Oxbridge if you try there, you would really want to choose a good, strong a-level but something you may find less heavy like I did.

If you were going to go for English, choose Literature not Language, it's not really that well respected. At GCSE, Language is the one you need but at A-Level, Literature is the strong one. It's also a facilitating a-level and if you took that and your already chosen subjects, you'd be a very strong candidate for university admission.

I'd advise against music. My friend, the one who is applying for Medicine and I mentioned before, is Grade 8 Distinction in Clarinet (gained in year 10) and Grade 7, now, on Piano and she struggled with Music - found it incredibly boring and believed it was a waste of a GCSE; I can't imagine AS would be much better but that's all up to you!

I wish you all the best in your decision making process !x
    Yeah if I am honest I had a long hard thought about it and I realised there is no easy option/route in life haha and I will consider French/eng lit in my options I just need to know the exam board really for which is the "easiest" board let's say haha like edexcel/OCR/aqa for French and english ! And I wouldn't of been able to do music as I didn't take it for gcse ! And thanks for wishing me the best I appreciate it c:

Also I am panicking because Oxbridge is my life goal and I really wish to do medicine/dentistry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALankyGuy)
    lol joking, i would take something you have an interest in, but you dont necessarily have to be god at it, if you're dropping it
    Haha sorry I didn't see the humour there! Yeah I know where you're coming from but I'm stressing at the thought of another year of french lol !!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not experienced but apparently RS is a good one for Medicine/Dentristry - helps you to understand your patients religiously and ethnically which in the long term will make them more comfortable around you. It would also provide a break from science subjects but is still very well regarded by employers and universities.

If you are any good at Music it is really well regarded and would give you a break from academic subjects as well. (It was one of the most commonly taken A Levels by Oxford applicants that were awarded a place.)

Just think about your hobbies and maybe find an A Level that connects with this. But please ensure that it is well regarded before you select it. So far your choices are excellent. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.