Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applying to a University - Some Help would be Appreciated Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

As I have once posted on this forum, I am a BTEC student who left without a choice but to pursue my studies through BTEC in IT upon arrival in the UK from Sri Lanka in 2011 July. When I first arrived I was almost 16 years old and I was not eligible to study GCSEs due to age and also A-Levels since I did not have GCSEs so the only path that was left for me was BTEC. I have started BTEC from Level 1 and now I have completed the first year of Level 3. While I was studying for BTEC Level 2 I have applied for various high schools in an attempt to switch from BTEC to A-Level which I deemed to be rather advantageous when applying for a university but I was not admitted due to age (I was 17).

As for now I have completed the first year of BTEC Level 3 in IT with the highest possible grade (distinction on every unit) and hoping to sit for GCSE Maths and English and also AS-Level Maths if possible next year.
    Could you please inform me regarding my chances of getting into a Russell Group university to study Computer Science and what will be my best choice of university?

Based on the research I have carried out concerning universities, I have discovered that the best possible university for me could be either King’s College or University of Birmingham but majority of the most reputable universities do not specify their decision regarding BTEC applicants clearly.

When applying for a university, am I supposed to consider the standards of the specific subject of a university or the overall reputation of the university? For instance, King’s College is regarded as a high reputable university but standards of its Computer Science degree do not appear to be better than that of University of Birmingham based on rankings displayed in various websites. Could you also inform me regarding the sources of information that provide the most reliable university rankings? Please also note that I have tried my best to pursue my studies on the traditional route but I did not have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    For me, The Times is the most reliable uni league table but my opinion varies yearly. I am not experienced in computer sciences so can't comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolantha)
    Hi All,

As I have once posted on this forum, I am a BTEC student who left without a choice but to pursue my studies through BTEC in IT upon arrival in the UK from Sri Lanka in 2011 July. When I first arrived I was almost 16 years old and I was not eligible to study GCSEs due to age and also A-Levels since I did not have GCSEs so the only path that was left for me was BTEC. I have started BTEC from Level 1 and now I have completed the first year of Level 3. While I was studying for BTEC Level 2 I have applied for various high schools in an attempt to switch from BTEC to A-Level which I deemed to be rather advantageous when applying for a university but I was not admitted due to age (I was 17).

As for now I have completed the first year of BTEC Level 3 in IT with the highest possible grade (distinction on every unit) and hoping to sit for GCSE Maths and English and also AS-Level Maths if possible next year.
    Could you please inform me regarding my chances of getting into a Russell Group university to study Computer Science and what will be my best choice of university?

Based on the research I have carried out concerning universities, I have discovered that the best possible university for me could be either King’s College or University of Birmingham but majority of the most reputable universities do not specify their decision regarding BTEC applicants clearly.

When applying for a university, am I supposed to consider the standards of the specific subject of a university or the overall reputation of the university? For instance, King’s College is regarded as a high reputable university but standards of its Computer Science degree do not appear to be better than that of University of Birmingham based on rankings displayed in various websites. Could you also inform me regarding the sources of information that provide the most reliable university rankings? Please also note that I have tried my best to pursue my studies on the traditional route but I did not have a chance.

I think your best bet would be to contact the universities directly and ask what they will and will not accept.

ReputationRep:
    Do they answer to emails in July and August?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know this isn't highly relevant but I'm applying to uni this year for English Literature, my predicted A Level grades are A*AA in English, History and Art respectively. My current choices are; Durham A*AA, Exeter AAB, Surrey AAB and Manchester AAB. I am not awfully confident about getting the * and I think I will achieve AAB at least, however I would realistically like an insurance of around BBB.

Could anyone suggest an insurance around that level of entry from a respectable uni, cheers in advance

ReputationRep:
    They should. Students will be contacting them about a variety of things.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information, I will definitely email.

ReputationRep:
    University staff will be working as normal over the summer, so yes they will

(Original post by Willburrr)
    Hey, I know this isn't highly relevant but I'm applying to uni this year for English Literature, my predicted A Level grades are A*AA in English, History and Art respectively. My current choices are; Durham A*AA, Exeter AAB, Surrey AAB and Manchester AAB. I am not awfully confident about getting the * and I think I will achieve AAB at least, however I would realistically like an insurance of around BBB.

Could anyone suggest an insurance around that level of entry from a respectable uni, cheers in advance
    Please start your own thread - it's considered impolite to try and hijack someone else's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

[B]Could you please inform me regarding my chances of getting into a Russell Group university to study Computer Science and what will be my best choice of university?[/B

If you look at UCAS - all the entry requirements are there including BTEC

http://search.ucas.com/course/entryr...rsedetailsmenu

http://search.ucas.com/course/entryr...rsedetailsmenu

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.