Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was told by a few people that by the end of the 3 rd year of my 4th year course at university, I will have a degree, just not the full honours degree. Is this true for Scottish universities?
    Just to be clear, I'm going into my 4th year of my course in psychology (BSc)

I know this may come across as a simple question, but it's been difficult finding the answer to my question elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    You would be able to leave at the end of 3rd year with a ordinary degree but in all fairness, they are worth next to nothing. You need to complete your 4th year and get a honours degree really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qno2)
    You would be able to leave at the end of 3rd year with a ordinary degree but in all fairness, they are worth next to nothing. You need to complete your 4th year and get a honours degree really.
    Oh I see, thanks for the info. Does the ordinary degree have a name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanPic)
    Oh I see, thanks for the info. Does the ordinary degree have a name?
    Yes, its a Bsc as opposed to a Bsc (Hons). The Hons bit is the difference and a very important distinction.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I understand now, thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanPic)
    I was told by a few people that by the end of the 3 rd year of my 4th year course at university, I will have a degree, just not the full honours degree. Is this true for Scottish universities?
    (Original post by qno2)
    Qno2 is correct, you can apply to leave at the end of third year with a non-honours Bachelor's degree (called an Ordinary, General, Designated or Pass). While I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "worth next to nothing", I wouldn't recommend anyone drop-out and take the Ordinary.

Ordinary degrees are not acceptable for entry to any UK masters course, which generally require 2:1 hons or above(occasionally 2:2), and they aren't acceptable for almost any
    graduate programme/scheme either. It would only be good for things like teaching, and even then, you would face strong competition from honours-graduating colleagues after the guaranteed NQT year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.