The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PaulHugh
OK, so from reading through your three posts. You have made a reasonable conclusion and that you only call yourself white as a defense mechanism to people knowingly misidentifying you as black.

I would also like to add that I have never met such an insanely arrogant and fixated human-being, but I guess that's what happens when you are 'called something you're not)

seconded.

Original post by Velasco
Oh my goodness - you are a black person. Not even a light-skinned black person. You do not need to "defend" yourself against blackness becuase blackness is not something to be defended against.

Please, seek help, you really need it.

To repeat: You are not and NEVER, EVER, will be "white English".

exactly. OP seems to have slight issues
Reply 121
Original post by superdarklord
I think the issue is, what makes you afraid to identify as black? Obviously, I would say you're mixed race and its clear that you're proportionally "more" black. Yet you seem hesitant to acknowledge that and instead point out features that distinguish you from being black.

Is the issue that you are ashamed to acknowledge who you are? Why is it more important to point out you're a quarter white rather than accept being three quarters black?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did this get answered/replied to since I immediately thought the same thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheVth
Did this get answered/replied to since I immediately thought the same thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you feel pressured to doing something, you'll do the opposite. I think that's the case with this person
Original post by Aeuronautics
If you feel pressured to doing something, you'll do the opposite. I think that's the case with this person

So what you're trying is if everyone says you're black and tells you to identify as black then you would identify as white?. I don't think that's the case with her, I think she just wants to be accepted as mixed race but enjoys her white-side more? I could be wrong but to me that seems like the case.
Hey, so I'm 1/4 Jamaican on my father's side, and 3/4 white, so I can identify with what you're saying. Up until recently, I'd always considered myself to be white because I have predominantly white features, and so that's what others identified me as. In fact, whenever someone finds out about my Jamaican side they'd say "But you look so white"; which I honestly feel is a bit of an ignorant thing to say, but hey ho.

Anyway my point is that you should identify yourself as whatever you want to, as long as you're doing it for your own reasons and not because you're in any way ashamed or feel pressured by society to do so. That being said I don't think there's any real need to identify as one or the other though because you're not, you're a beautiful mix of different things and I think that's cool. I get what you mean about 'black culture' but that's a strictly cultural thing and has little to do with actual skin-colour. Me personally, I identify myself as exactly what I am; 1/4 Jamaican or mixed race, or more simply, a human being.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh wow, you sound like an insecure person that is ashamed of their African side. 'It would be overwhelming and insane to call a mixed-race person African' this just shows that you have a negative view on Africans and black people and don't want to be labled that. You also said 'you may as well call me English' you'd not feel so offended being called that would you? Accept yourself and don't live in denial, YOU HAVE GOT AFRICAN BLOOD, THATS YOU! And lord knows if you are predominantly African, if yes then your statements are riduculous. If you are half African then still ridiculous.
Original post by Anonymousgirl100
Oh wow, you sound like an insecure person that is ashamed of their African side. 'It would be overwhelming and insane to call a mixed-race person African' this just shows that you have a negative view on Africans and black people and don't want to be labled that. You also said 'you may as well call me English' you'd not feel so offended being called that would you? Accept yourself and don't live in denial, YOU HAVE GOT AFRICAN BLOOD, THATS YOU! And lord knows if you are predominantly African, if yes then your statements are riduculous. If you are half African then still ridiculous.

Well someone who is 3/4 African and a quarter British, is African and British. So you cannot refer to them as just African. You also can't refer to them as just British. You must refer to them as African and British, ie Black and White (mixed race).
Some people go by the half and half rule, but I go by the three quarter rule. To me, you need to be more than 3/4 of a race, A quarter is significant and shouldn't be ignored.

I am of significant black ethnicity, but I am also of significant white ethnicity, so I'm therefore mixed race (black and white) which makes me different from a black person and a white person. I am a mixed race person.

I am happy to be black and white. When someone refers to me as black or asks me about my background, I just say I'm 3/4 black and a quarter white. If someone was to be racist and say I belong in Africa, then yes that's partially true, but I also belong here as I am a quarter british :smile:

This post was old and I am a lot more mature and accepting in relation to my ethnic background. I have accepted that I am both African and European, both black and white and ofcourse mixed race.

Some people won't be as accepting, but that shouldn't matter as I know some people will accept me for what I am.
Basically reffering to a mixed race person as just black or just white, would be insulting as it is ignoring a part of them. A mixed race person is of multiple races and so should be addressed as all of their races right? Like how a black person is adressed as black and a white person is addressed as white?

Well technically this person isn't african as they don't have african nationality and werent born in africa but they are of partial african decent as well as british decent.

I think the problem is that obviously a mixed race person doesn't look 'white british' since they are not fully white and african feautures are very distinct, so they are often asked where they are from. The confusion in that question is that, they are actually from britain, they are part of white and they are decended from the people who conquered this country but they're also partially black so are partially from africa. So yes, a mixed race person is african but they're also british.... They do actually belong here, they aren't the same as immigrants.... but they also belong in african, to the same extent.. Where as a black person isn't british at all, there nationality is british but ethnically they are far from that. A white person isn't african at all, but that isn't a problem and is not the issue this mixed race person has.

Why is it that it's so easy to distinguish a white person from a mixed race person when we appear to be having problems with distinguishing black people from mixed race people? We've allready established that race isn't a skin colour and visa versa so I don't really understand what the problem is?

Also I'd like to point out that mixed race people aren't any better than black people or white people. The reason why they shouldn't identify as white or black is because that would be self ignorance.
Reply 128
Original post by Anonymous
Exactly. I am not black, i am mixed race. Mixed race people do not belong to a single race, so it's wrong to say a mixed race person falls in to a single race.

However, I feel that a mixed race person has the right to refer to themselves as a single race if they wish to do so. But society should refer to them as mixed race.

You are slightly right, black British people do get discriminated a lot in the UK. I shouldn't be part of this discrimination as i am not black, although i am mixed race and mixed race people (whom have white in them) as obviously you can be mixed race- black and Asian British, do also get discriminated despite the fact they actually have white British in them and they have relatives of whom are actually white British.

Some mixed race individuals who are three quarters white and a quarter black and who look very white call themselves black , so on that logic i can call myself white. But at the end of the day, I don't like being called black because i am not black. It isn't just the fact that i dislike the general black british culture and the overall black cultures, it's mainly the fact that i am not actually black but mixed race. If i was black, then I would be black, it wouldn't matter that i hated the black culture, I would still be black. Same goes if I was white, or if i was asian/arab (brown) mixed race, whatever. It's the same principal.

Most "black" non-African people have a significant amount of Caucasian DNA, so by this standard, they're practically all mixed, though called black. By the same standard, many "whites" have African DNA. If everyone got actual DNA tests and could see the results, then things would change quite a bit, or at least people would start to admit that they are categorizing based primarily on skin color, by which standards someone who looks more black is black, period. But that has nothing to do with culture or ethnicity. It is far more interesting to understand one's ethnicity through DNA testing.
Reply 129
lol at this thread
Original post by Aeuronautics
alYou're not black. You have to be be full black to be black. As in both of your parents need to be four quarters black. You're therefore mixed white British with black British, although since you probably have more black features people will ignorantly assume you're black.

I think the problem with you is that you realise that it is easier to be white British in this country at the moment. The equality act is currently a very thin-line and so full white people or people who look four quarters white will obviously face less discrimination and stereotypes because of the colour of our skin.

But at the end of the day, you are technically mixed race and at-least you're middle-class so you are doing better than those obnoxious working class/ underclass
white people who live in council houses... So if you want to consider yourself as white and it makes you happier then why not? Life is about making yourself happy, people will obviously laugh at you but why should that matter?

So I'm a middle class teenager who is three quartres black and a quarter

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

My ex is three quarters black one quarter white and he looks&comes across as black... I consider him black, he considers himself black, everyone considers him black, he is not even 'light-skinned' black ....
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm 3/4s white and 1/4 black; but I'm obviously mixed as my colouring looks about half and half; where as my sister is much whiter. I would say that inside I guess I'm more white, just because I've grown up with my mum in an all-white family. I see my dad occasionally with a predominantly black family, yet I don't feel out of place at all. My friends use black-humour with my constantly which I find funny, yet I say my actions would be stereotypically white. It's just whatever you feel comfortable as. Don't forget every part of who you are; but don't feel your forced into it either 😊 hop this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay you're both NOT , I repeat NOT mixed, it's called quarter-cast... that's what you are ............ Not being racist, (i'm not i'm mixed) but seriously that's the term ...

well IMO, I call is quarter-cast, I have a quarter-cast cousin, looks white except for her hair ..

You can call yourselves white or mixed if you want I guess
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically reffering to a mixed race person as just black or just white, would be insulting as it is ignoring a part of them. A mixed race person is of multiple races and so should be addressed as all of their races right? Like how a black person is adressed as black and a white person is addressed as white?

Well technically this person isn't african as they don't have african nationality and werent born in africa but they are of partial african decent as well as british decent.

I think the problem is that obviously a mixed race person doesn't look 'white british' since they are not fully white and african feautures are very distinct, so they are often asked where they are from. The confusion in that question is that, they are actually from britain, they are part of white and they are decended from the people who conquered this country but they're also partially black so are partially from africa. So yes, a mixed race person is african but they're also british.... They do actually belong here, they aren't the same as immigrants.... but they also belong in african, to the same extent.. Where as a black person isn't british at all, there nationality is british but ethnically they are far from that. A white person isn't african at all, but that isn't a problem and is not the issue this mixed race person has.

Why is it that it's so easy to distinguish a white person from a mixed race person when we appear to be having problems with distinguishing black people from mixed race people? We've allready established that race isn't a skin colour and visa versa so I don't really understand what the problem is?

Also I'd like to point out that mixed race people aren't any better than black people or white people. The reason why they shouldn't identify as white or black is because that would be self ignorance.

Original post by minamu
Most "black" non-African people have a significant amount of Caucasian DNA, so by this standard, they're practically all mixed, though called black. By the same standard, many "whites" have African DNA. If everyone got actual DNA tests and could see the results, then things would change quite a bit, or at least people would start to admit that they are categorizing based primarily on skin color, by which standards someone who looks more black is black, period. But that has nothing to do with culture or ethnicity. It is far more interesting to understand one's ethnicity through DNA testing.

Some Americans think Mixed Race is a race of it's own?, they call themselves Biracial ......

To me 3/4 Black+1/4 White= Black, seriously you'll come out looking as black, so yeah ( even if you're 'light-skinned' black)
3/4 White+1/4 Black= Quarter Cast, you'll come out looking as white but maybe the hair is different, like my mixed-raced cousins child

That's me anyway :smile:
Original post by browneyes221b
I'm 3/4s white and 1/4 black; but I'm obviously mixed as my colouring looks about half and half; where as my sister is much whiter. I would say that inside I guess I'm more white, just because I've grown up with my mum in an all-white family. I see my dad occasionally with a predominantly black family, yet I don't feel out of place at all. My friends use black-humour with my constantly which I find funny, yet I say my actions would be stereotypically white. It's just whatever you feel comfortable as. Don't forget every part of who you are; but don't feel your forced into it either hop this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sam Ramsay
Hey, so I'm 1/4 Jamaican on my father's side, and 3/4 white, so I can identify with what you're saying. Up until recently, I'd always considered myself to be white because I have predominantly white features, and so that's what others identified me as. In fact, whenever someone finds out about my Jamaican side they'd say "But you look so white"; which I honestly feel is a bit of an ignorant thing to say, but hey ho.

Anyway my point is that you should identify yourself as whatever you want to, as long as you're doing it for your own reasons and not because you're in any way ashamed or feel pressured by society to do so. That being said I don't think there's any real need to identify as one or the other though because you're not, you're a beautiful mix of different things and I think that's cool. I get what you mean about 'black culture' but that's a strictly cultural thing and has little to do with actual skin-colour. Me personally, I identify myself as exactly what I am; 1/4 Jamaican or mixed race, or more simply, a human being.

Okay you're both NOT , I repeat NOT mixed, it's called quarter-cast... that's what you are ............ Not being racist, (i'm not i'm mixed) but seriously that's the term ...

well IMO, I call is quarter-cast, I have a quarter-cast cousin, looks white except for her hair ..

You can call yourselves white or mixed if you want I guess
Well someone who is 3/4 African and a quarter British, is African and British. So you cannot refer to them as just African. You also can't refer to them as just British. You must refer to them as African and British, ie Black and White (mixed race).
Some people go by the half and half rule, but I go by the three quarter rule. To me, you need to be more than 3/4 of a race, A quarter is significant and shouldn't be ignored.

I am of significant black ethnicity, but I am also of significant white ethnicity, so I'm therefore mixed race (black and white) which makes me different from a black person and a white person. I am a mixed race person.

I am happy to be black and white. When someone refers to me as black or asks me about my background, I just say I'm 3/4 black and a quarter white. If someone was to be racist and say I belong in Africa, then yes that's partially true, but I also belong here as I am a quarter british :smile:

This post was old and I am a lot more mature and accepting in relation to my ethnic background. I have accepted that I am both African and European, both black and white and ofcourse mixed race.

Some people won't be as accepting, but that shouldn't matter as I know some people will accept me for what I am.

Dude seriously you're black.

I'm sorry but you are, like I said, my ex has a mixed raced mum, black dad like you .. he's not even 'light-skinned' black, he looks black all over, talks black, acts black, not even his hair or eyes are more wavy or more like white people's... yeah has white,mixed&black cousins/siblings/aunty/uncle,etc BUT my ex is black, no question. I consider him black, He considers himself black,everyone considers him as black. That's it. Actually was suprised his mum is mixed at first... his own words to my response " If the mum is mixed and the dad is black, the child is going to come out as black "

My personally? I would consider you black even if you're 'light-skinned' black and your hair isn't as 'coarse', regardless if you act white or associate with more white people.

My uncle is full black and talks&acts white and all his friends are white, partners white, he can do that all he wants but at the end of the day he is still black,

I don't even see you as mixed-raced or 'biracial' or even 'quarter-white'. To me, you're BLACK, not mixed, not 'quarter-white' BLACK.

I think the same about you, regardless of your 1/4 white.....

I'm sorry but it's like those mixed-raced friends my mum used to have where they were half white half asian or whatever saying they're mixed but more white or they're mixed but really they're white and ashamed of living with the non-white parent -_-, they're not white at all, they can talk white, act white, live in a white neighbourhood, live with the white parent, etc but they'll never be white.

And those racist people you have to deal with don't care about your 1/4 white. believe me, to them even if you're mixed or quarter-cast (3/4 white, 1/4 black) to them, you got something in you and you're NOT white, basically that's it. (Some really racist british people don't consider white french,german etc people as white.)

Me personally Idgaf who's 1/8 white or whatever, dunno why it matters anyway tbh,

My opinion stands, OP anyone who is 1/4 white and 3/4 Black ( regardless if they come out lighter or have wavy hair) is Black.
I am one quarter mexican and three quarters black. However, I identify myself as black race and Latino is my ethnic group. My skin tone is light but very bronze and my hair isnt as coarse as a "black" person. when I go out people always as where I am from bc I look exotic. people never think I am fully black... I mean technically im not. I am mixed race, but I identify as a black latino or Afrolatino. I guess what I am saying is that you can I dentify however you please, buy society will classify you by what they see.
Original post by Nechelle
I am one quarter mexican and three quarters black. However, I identify myself as black race and Latino is my ethnic group. My skin tone is light but very bronze and my hair isnt as coarse as a "black" person. when I go out people always as where I am from bc I look exotic. people never think I am fully black... I mean technically im not. I am mixed race, but I identify as a black latino or Afrolatino. I guess what I am saying is that you can I dentify however you please, buy society will classify you by what they see.

stop it

latino is a culture nothin else

you are mixed

black is not a race its a color...somalis are 'black'...nigerians and angloans...you sayin they are the same people?
Find the results of this interesting. Similar to the white people with 1/4 or 1/2 ancestry saying they're black.
This is the product of having an absent father tbh

If he stayed in the op's life such a dumb thread wouldn't exist

Latest

Trending

Trending