The Student Room Group

Higher Paper of Foundation Paper

I am going my GCSE Maths Edexcel Linear Paper next year.

I have done some FOundation Paper mock practices and got 65-68% scores (73% is the C mark)

I have yet to try the higher paper mocks.

But I feel that Higher will be TOO HARD :frown:

I am not great at Maths but at the same time I want a GOOD chance to get a C.

I wish I was excellent at Maths :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xjay1234
I am going my GCSE Maths Edexcel Linear Paper next year.

I have done some FOundation Paper mock practices and got 65-68% scores (73% is the C mark)

I have yet to try the higher paper mocks.

But I feel that Higher will be TOO HARD :frown:

I am not great at Maths but at the same time I want a GOOD chance to get a C.

I wish I was excellent at Maths :frown:

Higher, you only need like 40/200 for a C..
Reply 2
Original post by arfah
Higher, you only need like 40/200 for a C..

40 marks out of 200 BOTH Paper and NON CALCULATOR all together?

Are you serious???
Reply 3
40 marks out of 200 BOTH Paper and NON CALCULATOR all together?

Are you serious???

Yep around 40 but maybe 50, not more than that though:biggrin:
Thing is, the questions are harder
Reply 4
Original post by arfah
Yep around 40 but maybe 50, not more than that though:biggrin:
Thing is, the questions are harder

Yes I know the questions are harder lol I was looking through the GCP book for HIGHER level revision guide and DAMN I closed the book after 5 minutes LOL.

I was making silly errors in the foundation paper mocks which is why I never got the C if I FOCUS harder and revise better I would get the C I am sure on the Foundation (73%).

I think I would only be able to answer the NUMBERS questions in the Higher Paper and a few power questions and simultaneous equation questions lol.

And some trigonometry questions that is it lol
Reply 5
Yes I know the questions are harder lol I was looking through the GCP book for HIGHER level revision guide and DAMN I closed the book after 5 minutes LOL.

I was making silly errors in the foundation paper mocks which is why I never got the C if I FOCUS harder and revise better I would get the C I am sure on the Foundation (73%).

I think I would only be able to answer the NUMBERS questions in the Higher Paper and a few power questions and simultaneous equation questions lol.

And some trigonometry questions that is it lol

I think stick to foundation..
The key is doing A LOT of past papers, the questions are so repetitive!:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by arfah
I think stick to foundation..
The key is doing A LOT of past papers, the questions are so repetitive!:biggrin:

I could answer other topics as well ^_^ but maybe with SERIOUS practice and working from workbooks I could deal with higher paper standards (only 40% of it which would get me the C)

But yeah Foundation on the whole is pi55 easy!!!!!

WRITE 123 000 IN WORDS REALLY!?!?!?!?!? LOL
Reply 7
I could answer other topics as well ^_^ but maybe with SERIOUS practice and working from workbooks I could deal with higher paper standards (only 40% of it which would get me the C)

But yeah Foundation on the whole is pi55 easy!!!!!

WRITE 123 000 IN WORDS REALLY!?!?!?!?!? LOL

Exactly, foundation is too easy to not to get a C in:smile:
Good luck with maths then:biggrin:
For now, I'd recommend:

1. Sticking to foundation until you're at a comfortable C grade
2. Start looking at higher papers and ask your tutors to help with the harder material (the stuff pushing the B grade)

You can do all the past papers in the world, but once you grasp the foundations then you'll find that maths gets easier over time :smile: Keep going, you can do this! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by arfah
Exactly, foundation is too easy to not to get a C in:smile:
Good luck with maths then:biggrin:

Wait are you good at Maths?!?!?!?!

What was your grade?!?!?!?!??!
Reply 10
Original post by Slowbro93
For now, I'd recommend:

1. Sticking to foundation until you're at a comfortable C grade
2. Start looking at higher papers and ask your tutors to help with the harder material (the stuff pushing the B grade)

You can do all the past papers in the world, but once you grasp the foundations then you'll find that maths gets easier over time :smile: Keep going, you can do this! :biggrin:

Yes I will do more practice over the summer holidays.

I would have to get the GCP Higher Workbook to start with.

But yes I was only 4-5% of a C in the mocks so I know I am in a good position (I hope)

I want a C!

(B would be nice, hell A as well AHHHH A*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

But not gonna happen but C in Higher lower marks needed but harder as the guy said
Yes I will do more practice over the summer holidays.

I would have to get the GCP Higher Workbook to start with.

But yes I was only 4-5% of a C in the mocks so I know I am in a good position (I hope)

I want a C!

(B would be nice, hell A as well AHHHH A*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

But not gonna happen but C in Higher lower marks needed but harder as the guy said

Do you have any particular strengths and weaknesses? Last year I was tutoring a student who was predicted to fail so I was helping him pass. As he was a very practical and visual learner I adjusted the sessions around this so that way he saw his weaknesses as new strengths :smile:

See a teacher and ask for their opinion? :smile:
Why not have a go at a higher paper and see how you do? I think it's easier to score a C on it than foundation
Reply 13
Original post by Slowbro93
Do you have any particular strengths and weaknesses? Last year I was tutoring a student who was predicted to fail so I was helping him pass. As he was a very practical and visual learner I adjusted the sessions around this so that way he saw his weaknesses as new strengths :smile:

See a teacher and ask for their opinion? :smile:

I am good with mostly everything at Foundation.

Higher my issues are:

Long Division ^_-
Compound and Decay
Manipulating Surds
Quadratic Formulas
Graphical Inequalities
Some Trigonometry (3-D Trig I am not too bad at)
Direct and Inverse proportions
Histograms and Frequency Density
Simultaneous Equations (only the easy ones with easy whole numbers ^_^)

Not saying I couldn't do all this.

I mean the Algebra on the higher paper I know Edexcel said it is 60% Algebra and 40% numbers in the higher paper.

With good hard discipline of watching YouTube videos and trying along I am sure I could do higher but yeah.

Foundation comfortable thing lol

http://www.edexcel.com/QUALS/GCSE/GCSE10/MATHS/Pages/Guide-what-tier.aspx

Edexcel broke it down so well!
Reply 14
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Why not have a go at a higher paper and see how you do? I think it's easier to score a C on it than foundation

Yes easy for you say EASY TO SCORE A C ON THE HIGHER cos you are probably a very high level maths guy >.<

But I'd give it a good at x-mas time after solid revision and practice at the HIGHER tier topics from GCP (they are so good!)
Yes easy for you say EASY TO SCORE A C ON THE HIGHER cos you are probably a very high level maths guy >.<

But I'd give it a good at x-mas time after solid revision and practice at the HIGHER tier topics from GCP (they are so good!)

Do you have a mathswatch CD? That was the single most useful resource I had for GCSE Maths. Work hard and you will most definitely get a B from it! The woman explains everything so well!
Reply 16
Higher, do some at home under time condition and prepare hard for it and then do the school and see how it goes :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Do you have a mathswatch CD? That was the single most useful resource I had for GCSE Maths. Work hard and you will most definitely get a B from it! The woman explains everything so well!

Hmmmm Mathswatch CD I will look into that when I have energy goodnight ^_^
Reply 18
Original post by an100
Higher, do some at home under time condition and prepare hard for it and then do the school and see how it goes :smile:

Aye.

The most high said a man should have a BEARD AND HAIR ON HIS HEAD!

Bye
Reply 19
Aye.

The most high said a man should have a BEARD AND HAIR ON HIS HEAD!

Bye

what?

Quick Reply

Latest