Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Back Story

I'm entering into a two year top up course at Salford Uni, to reduce a 4 hour daily trip I decided to find a place. Found a beauty that is a 15 minute walk from Media City (where I'll be taking my course). £89 a week, £200 deposit.

The 'Problem"

I've been told I have to move in by the beginning of August to secure the room, now I don't know when I'll be starting my course but I was wondering if this is normal? My brother moved into halls way back when he started in August, but as I didn't realise it was something I'd be doing so soon, I'm a little taken a back by it. My main worry at the time being is : how much time do I need to be seen present at the house to not lose the room before starting Uni?

Now I know that's a question to ask my landlord amongst whether I'm safe parking my car near the house or is she better at home, while I take buses and trains, but I wanted to see whether anyone else has found this. AND I'm trying to get as many months with my boyfriend as possible.

Plus, I'm having to change my details as I was originally going to live at home, but with less than £200 left in my bank from last years Student Finance and deposit and possibly a months rent to pay before I even move in, I'm worried of how soon I'll get my money.

Any advice is welcomed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbt15)
    Hi all,

Back Story

I'm entering into a two year top up course at Salford Uni, to reduce a 4 hour daily trip I decided to find a place. Found a beauty that is a 15 minute walk from Media City (where I'll be taking my course). £89 a week, £200 deposit.

The 'Problem"

I've been told I have to move in by the beginning of August to secure the room, now I don't know when I'll be starting my course but I was wondering if this is normal? My brother moved into halls way back when he started in August, but as I didn't realise it was something I'd be doing so soon, I'm a little taken a back by it. My main worry at the time being is : how much time do I need to be seen present at the house to not lose the room before starting Uni?

Now I know that's a question to ask my landlord amongst whether I'm safe parking my car near the house or is she better at home, while I take buses and trains, but I wanted to see whether anyone else has found this. AND I'm trying to get as many months with my boyfriend as possible.

Plus, I'm having to change my details as I was originally going to live at home, but with less than £200 left in my bank from last years Student Finance and deposit and possibly a months rent to pay before I even move in, I'm worried of how soon I'll get my money.

Any advice is welcomed!
    It's normal for a contract to be a 12 month one i.e. student pays rent July & August but its not normal to stipulate when the tenant actually moves in - most landlords know a lot of students go home for the summer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.