mourad_jepsen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi All,

What are my chances to get admitted into a phd program at Oxford after I have finished my BSc in Mathematics & Physics at the Open University ?

Thanks,
mourad
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mourad_jepsen)
Hi All,

What are my chances to get admitted into a phd program at Oxford after I have finished my BSc in Mathematics & Physics at the Open University ?

Thanks,
mourad
It's not so difficult to get into a Phd program at Oxford I believe, but why do you wanna do a phd now anyways? Not that it's a bad thing:mmm:
mourad_jepsen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by arfah)
It's not so difficult to get into a Phd program at Oxford I believe, but why do you wanna do a phd now anyways? Not that it's a bad thing:mmm:
I think by going into a Phd will give me chance to study some area of maths like PDEs and stochastic calculus in deep.

I believe Oxford has a reputable community that would increase chances to meet and learn from reputable professors as well.

Why do you think it's bad thing ?
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
I think by going into a Phd will give me chance to study some area of maths like PDEs and stochastic calculus in deep.

I believe Oxford has a reputable community that would increase chances to meet and learn from reputable professors as well.

Why do you think it's bad thing ?
No, a phd is amazing not bad at all:no:
Just personal experience has taught me a lesson:mmm:, I'd rather I was a granny doing a phd, since you can do one whenever:woo:
Don't listen to me:mmm:
Brit_Miller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi All,

Thanks,
mourad
Depends if you want funding, that's usually hard to get. Otherwise it's usually whether at interview you demonstrate you are phd material or have a good/suitable proposal in my experience
mourad_jepsen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Brit_Miller)
Depends if you want funding, that's usually hard to get. Otherwise it's usually whether at interview you demonstrate you are phd material or have a good/suitable proposal in my experience
Thanks Brit, do you mean by suitable proposal, a good research paper?
Brit_Miller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks Brit, do you mean by suitable proposal, a good research paper?
If you've got a published paper that can only help! I am not sure of the procedure at Oxford, but usually you will either have applied for a PhD position on a topic already decided or you will approach an appropriate supervisor and propose an area of research and usually submit a research proposal to their graduate school and they will decide whether it is worth it.
mourad_jepsen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Brit_Miller)
If you've got a published paper that can only help! I am not sure of the procedure at Oxford, but usually you will either have applied for a PhD position on a topic already decided or you will approach an appropriate supervisor and propose an area of research and usually submit a research proposal to their graduate school and they will decide whether it is worth it.
Thanks a lot Brit. That's very clear now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads