Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

What are my chances to get admitted into a phd program at Oxford after I have finished my BSc in Mathematics & Physics at the Open University ?

Thanks,
    mourad

(Original post by mourad_jepsen)
      Hi All,

What are my chances to get admitted into a phd program at Oxford after I have finished my BSc in Mathematics & Physics at the Open University ?

Thanks,
      mourad
      It's not so difficult to get into a Phd program at Oxford I believe, but why do you wanna do a phd now anyways? Not that it's a bad thing:mmm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      It's not so difficult to get into a Phd program at Oxford I believe, but why do you wanna do a phd now anyways? Not that it's a bad thing:mmm:
      I think by going into a Phd will give me chance to study some area of maths like PDEs and stochastic calculus in deep.

I believe Oxford has a reputable community that would increase chances to meet and learn from reputable professors as well.

Why do you think it's bad thing ?

I think by going into a Phd will give me chance to study some area of maths like PDEs and stochastic calculus in deep.

I believe Oxford has a reputable community that would increase chances to meet and learn from reputable professors as well.

Why do you think it's bad thing ?
        No, a phd is amazing not bad at all:no:
        Just personal experience has taught me a lesson:mmm:, I'd rather I was a granny doing a phd, since you can do one whenever:woo:
        Don't listen to me:mmm:

ReputationRep:
        Hi All,

Thanks,
        mourad
        Depends if you want funding, that's usually hard to get. Otherwise it's usually whether at interview you demonstrate you are phd material or have a good/suitable proposal in my experience

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Brit_Miller)
        Depends if you want funding, that's usually hard to get. Otherwise it's usually whether at interview you demonstrate you are phd material or have a good/suitable proposal in my experience
        Thanks Brit, do you mean by suitable proposal, a good research paper?

ReputationRep:
        Thanks Brit, do you mean by suitable proposal, a good research paper?
        If you've got a published paper that can only help! I am not sure of the procedure at Oxford, but usually you will either have applied for a PhD position on a topic already decided or you will approach an appropriate supervisor and propose an area of research and usually submit a research proposal to their graduate school and they will decide whether it is worth it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Brit_Miller)
        If you've got a published paper that can only help! I am not sure of the procedure at Oxford, but usually you will either have applied for a PhD position on a topic already decided or you will approach an appropriate supervisor and propose an area of research and usually submit a research proposal to their graduate school and they will decide whether it is worth it.
        Thanks a lot Brit. That's very clear now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.