Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to be studying Business Management and Japanese at university (as long as I get in haha), but my worry is that people have told me that Japanese is extremely difficult and it'd destroy my social life because of the study hours and just hours in general needed to succeed in it. So I wanted to find out people's opinions on it as a course and it's general difficulty.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    japanese is not worth it unless you want to work in japan since japanese is confined to japan.

(Original post by Phillip.Rudkin)
      I'm hopefully going to be studying Business Management and Japanese at university (as long as I get in haha), but my worry is that people have told me that Japanese is extremely difficult and it'd destroy my social life because of the study hours and just hours in general needed to succeed in it. So I wanted to find out people's opinions on it as a course and it's general difficulty.

Thanks.
      It is if you want an international career! I would do it, it opens so many doors

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
      I'm doing business and management and Japanese at Manchester I am going into my second year, I am currently in Japan for the summer. I have the advantage of knowing Mandarin Chinese to an advanced level already, which makes learning Japanese a bit easier. Japanese is hard but if you're passionate about it, go for it. People usually don't know what here talking about. It is amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Bambirina)
        I'm doing business and management and Japanese at Manchester I am going into my second year, I am currently in Japan for the summer. I have the advantage of knowing Mandarin Chinese to an advanced level already, which makes learning Japanese a bit easier. Japanese is hard but if you're passionate about it, go for it. People usually don't know what here talking about. It is amazing

Posted from TSR Mobile
        wow I'd like to take japanese!! How difficult is it to learn it?? I can speak 5 languages, does that mean I might find it easier?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        wow I'd like to take japanese!! How difficult is it to learn it?? I can speak 5 languages, does that mean I might find it easier?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
        Nope, I don't think so haha I speak 5 languages as well but I still felt like a baby when I started to learn Japanese, as I was back at the stage where I couldn't express myself properly, etc.. It's going much better now, but it still isn't easy.
        I find the grammar quite hard and there's a lot of vocabulary that sounds identical (compared to Chinese which I enjoy because of the tones).
        As I can read and write Chinese, I find kanji super easy but I'm the only one in my class to think that.
        I'd say that unless the 5 languages you speak include Mandarin and Korean (both at an advanced level), Japanese isn't going to be super easy to learn. But if you're passionate and dedicated, you'll get there
        • Community Assistant
        • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by slade p)
        japanese is not worth it unless you want to work in japan since japanese is confined to japan.
        What rubbish, if you have a genuine interest in a language then it will always be worth learning no matter how many speakers it has or where they live.

Nope, I don't think so haha I speak 5 languages as well but I still felt like a baby when I started to learn Japanese, as I was back at the stage where I couldn't express myself properly, etc.. It's going much better now, but it still isn't easy.
          I find the grammar quite hard and there's a lot of vocabulary that sounds identical (compared to Chinese which I enjoy because of the tones).
          As I can read and write Chinese, I find kanji super easy but I'm the only one in my class to think that.
          I'd say that unless the 5 languages you speak include Mandarin and Korean (both at an advanced level), Japanese isn't going to be super easy to learn. But if you're passionate and dedicated, you'll get there
          Ooooh no I dont speak any of those languages:ahee: I speak dutch/ flemish the usual type of stuff in that case I'll be a baby as well, when I start learning it.. i might take japanese alongside law!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          If you're doing business then mandarin would be better

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
          If you're doing business then mandarin would be better
          But if the person isn't passionate about mandarin they might never reach a sufficient level to be able to use it for business purposes. To be able to use mandarin at work one will need to spend countless hours studying and writing characters, which is hard enough when you love Chinese and are super dedicated to it. Without passion, it's much harder.

But if they prefer Japanese and work super hard for it and even enjoy the hardships on the way to fluency to then be able to use the language in the workplace, that would be much more useful.

In my uni, the employment rate for business and Japanese graduates is just as good as the one for business and Chinese graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          But if the person isn't passionate about mandarin they might never reach a sufficient level to be able to use it for business purposes. To be able to use mandarin at work one will need to spend countless hours studying and writing characters, which is hard enough when you love Chinese and are super dedicated to it. Without passion, it's much harder.

But if they prefer Japanese and work super hard for it and even enjoy the hardships on the way to fluency to then be able to use the language in the workplace, that would be much more useful.

In my uni, the employment rate for business and Japanese graduates is just as good as the one for business and Chinese graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile
          It is postulated that in the future the three most prevalent and useful languages will be English (of course), Spanish, and Mandarin. English is already the most widespread, followed by Spanish. Mandarin because of how China has been such an up an comer.

However, if you have no passion for it and feel Japanese would be better for you then that is of course your prerogative
          • Community Assistant
          • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
          It is postulated that in the future the three most prevalent and useful languages will be English (of course), Spanish, and Mandarin. English is already the most widespread, followed by Spanish. Mandarin because of how China has been such an up an comer.
          Not true. Mandarin will never be a global language because it is only spoken in one (albeit large) country. That's not a reason not to learn Mandarin, if it interests you then go right ahead but I think people should stop kidding themselves that Mandarin will be the language of the future - really, it wont.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Samual)
          Not true. Mandarin will never be a global language because it is only spoken in one (albeit large) country. That's not a reason not to learn Mandarin, if it interests you then go right ahead but I think people should stop kidding themselves that Mandarin will be the language of the future - really, it wont.
          It may only be predominantly spoken in China at the moment, but -

1. Over 845 million people speaking Mandarin every day. Almost 1/7th of the World.

2. As China gains more ground in the manufacturing arena, and becomes even more powerful in commercial terms, people who can converse in Mandarin will gain a major advantage when negotiating terms with business owners.

3. Business dealings in China depend very much on relationships, and strong business relationships are likely to be much easier to build and maintain if the same language is spoken.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
          I think it really comes down to whether you have an aptitude for language learning. I studied French, German and Japanese at uni (graduated this year) and I did very little self-study for any of it because I'm unfortunately incredibly lazy.
          However I still managed to get a first, and even though I would not consider my Japanese to be as fluent as it could be, I was very close to passing JLPT 2 (4 marks off) at the end of my Year Abroad, so I presume I must be capable of passing now seeing as that was a year ago!
          But obviously languages is something I naturally find quite easy.
          For some of my classmates doing Japanese as their only language/without much prior study or any languages it seemed a lot harder and I know they put in many many more hours than I did - pretty sure they all still managed to have social lives though!

So I'd think back to the last languages you studied, whether that was GCSE, A Level or even just up to Year 9 - how did you find them? If they were super difficult then Japanese is probably going to be even worse. But if you thought they were okay difficulty wise, you just didn't want to continue with them for other reasons, then you'll probably be fine.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
          i currently do japanese at a level and want to do it at uni. despite what people say, I really don't think it's that hard. Once you understand how it works, it's not as daunting as you think. i wouldn't worry about it destroying your social life because of the hours you'll need to put in...as with everything, you need to work hard and put in time in order to succeed, but Japanese isn't on a complete new level, and it certainly won't require all your attention, 24/7.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
          I'm actually wanting to go to Manchester university too haha! It's my firm choice! I've had a go now and I think it's really fun and interesting, even the hard parts, I'm not far in, the hardest part was getting on with the hiragana, but I quite like the Kanji for some reason :P What's the course at Manchester like? Like whats' the split like between the two? Just wanted to ask because you do the course that I want to do and at the university I want to go to

ReputationRep:
          Thanks to everyone btw for replies, I didn't think I'd get this many responses. I'm going to go with Business Management and Japanese because I've finally had a go of it and I seem to really like it, hard but interesting language

Thanks again everyone!

ReputationRep:
          Think of all the RAW mangas and animés you could read/watch!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
          Japan is awesome , nuff said.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by KhanNab)
          Think of all the RAW mangas and animés you could read/watch!!!!!!!!!!!
          oh my god that's such a good reason, never even considered that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.