Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't think I did well in my exams this year, so I'm worried.

My highers this year were Chemistry, History, and Music.

I probably got a C in chemistry (at best, more likely a D), a B in History and a B/C in Music. 5th year was an awful year for me the whole way through due to various issues.

For 6th year my subjects are AH Chem, AH Music and H Maths. I'm going to work my ass off to get A's/B's in these exams, but I'm worried that I wont be able to get into any Uni's as I don't have highers. So basically what I'm asking is if I will be able to get into a Uni with AH's without the required H's..

TDLR: Can I get into uni with good AH grades and bad H grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I did **** in my higher, got AAA in my AH got into a uk top ten uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    How did the Uni respond to your app in 5th year? A conditional or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijustwanttopass2)
    How did the Uni respond to your app in 5th year? A conditional or?
    I applied a year after I finished my AHs, so it was unconditional. They didn't ask about my highers.

I would imagine if you are applying in 6th year, you will get conditional offers based on your AH results. This is all depending on the uni and course you apply to though. If you apply to a course with low entry requirements they may only give you a conditional based on one AH or even none depending on what your higher results will be. But if you do bad in your highers and apply to a course with high entry requirements then I assume you will get a conditional based on what you achieve in 6th year.

ReputationRep:
    I applied a year after I finished my AHs, so it was unconditional. They didn't ask about my highers.

I would imagine if you are applying in 6th year, you will get conditional offers based on your AH results. This is all depending on the uni and course you apply to though. If you apply to a course with low entry requirements they may only give you a conditional based on one AH or even none depending on what your higher results will be. But if you do bad in your highers and apply to a course with high entry requirements then I assume you will get a conditional based on what you achieve in 6th year.
    Thanks, made me feel a lot better about my chances

ReputationRep:
    The Advanced Higher's trump the Highers. So they won't even look at the Higher If you passed the Advanced Higher, like a B in advanced higher is the same as an A in the Higher (I'm sure). Just be wary since all of the Universities are different.

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing you can do is take up more highers in sixth year and hope that you get a conditional based on these. I don't think sitting advanced highers would be the best option for you. Especially advanced higher chemistry, if you get a C (or even a D) at higher then you'll most probably really struggle at advanced higher because it's really hard. I don't know about your school, but I wouldn't think they'd allow you to do an advanced higher course without having an A/B at higher. Your advanced highers aren't that important at all for entry to a Scottish university as they're almost never expected as an entry requirement unless you intend to do medicine/dentistry/vet med. The only situation that you'd need to do a bunch of advanced highers is if you intend on applying to English universities in which case you'll usually need three - I intended to apply to English universities, so I did advanced highers but if I wanted to stay in Scotland then I wouldn't have bothered taking any advanced highers other than in the subjects which I enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    Impressive! Which uni if you don't mind me asking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.