Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Current situations:
    Middle East in ruins
    Unrest in Ukraine
    The beginning Israel's ground assault
    Plane being shot down, western countries reaction to the ones held responsible
    Syria and Iraq - IS taking control of major oil producing cities

something will crack off soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The possibility is there. I'm not convinced the (real) powers that be are foolish enough these days to go for all out war, though.
    it won't be all out war, just like in Syria how Russia is backing Basher al assad, and America is backing the rebels, Furthermore with new news of the plane being shot down, with the deaths of British and American citizens, it will give them a reason to enter Ukraine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    it won't be all out war
    Then it won't be WW3...

just like in Syria how Russia is backing Basher al assad, and America is backing the rebels, Furthermore with new news of the plane being shot down, with the deaths of British and American citizens, it will give them a reason to enter Ukraine
    Nobody in the West is crazy enough to put large numbers of troops on the ground, especially not now they're talking about a ceasefire. And nobody can afford a big fight like that anyway. To suggest this is a precursor to WW3 is insane hyperbole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Then it won't be WW3...

Nobody in the West is crazy enough to put large numbers of troops on the ground, especially not now they're talking about a ceasefire. And nobody can afford a big fight like that anyway. To suggest this is a precursor to WW3 is insane hyperbole.
    not really, with think about it is ISIS get to baghdad, Iran and Hezbollah Shia fighters will go to protect Baghdad and Karbala, leaving Iran weak, Israel has already started Air raids in Syria Golan heights, Israel hates Iran seeing it weak with fewer fighters i think they will probably lauch and offensive there too, Sunni fighters from South Asia will join the fight in baghdad, Unrest in Egypt with the Muslim Brotherhood, i have spoke to many egyptians and they all hating on Sisi, probably another uprising there, this will cause more problems
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This won't turn into world war three. We've been through worse periods of tension than today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    This won't turn into world war three. We've been through worse periods of tension than today.
    how? i think it's worse now than it had ever been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    not really, with think about it is ISIS get to baghdad, Iran and Hezbollah Shia fighters will go to protect Baghdad and Karbala, leaving Iran weak, Israel has already started Air raids in Syria Golan heights, Israel hates Iran seeing it weak with fewer fighters i think they will probably lauch and offensive there too, Sunni fighters from South Asia will join the fight in baghdad, Unrest in Egypt with the Muslim Brotherhood, i have spoke to many egyptians and they all hating on Sisi, probably another uprising there, this will cause more problems
    Those things are practically always happening, so unless you're suggesting we've been living in a state of war for the last 10 years I fail to see what's new.

Small scale conflicts in individual countries? Yeah, that could happen. But ones stretching across many international borders bringing other countries in? Nope. Nobody's going to go in and help Israel (they don't need the help, anyway), Iraq wouldn't want us or the US to go back in there, neither would the politics here or in The States, civil unrest in Egypt is hardly new either and we've not intervened before so why would we start now?

It's not WW3, such a thing would be virtually impossible these days.

ReputationRep:
    Those things are practically always happening, so unless you're suggesting we've been living in a state of war for the last 10 years I fail to see what's new.

Small scale conflicts in individual countries? Yeah, that could happen. But ones stretching across many international borders bringing other countries in? Nope. Nobody's going to go in and help Israel (they don't need the help, anyway), Iraq wouldn't want us or the US to go back in there, neither would the politics here or in The States, civil unrest in Egypt is hardly new either and we've not intervened before so why would we start now?

It's not WW3, such a thing would be virtually impossible these days.
    Yeh but this news about the plane getting shot down, don't you think America will do something about the American citizens that died? I don't think that has happened in the past 10 years
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    how? i think it's worse now than it had ever been
    Really? Cuban missile crisis, collapse of the USSR, Iran-Iraq war, India and Pakistan's various conflicts. Whilst there are a number of trouble spots, none really has the potential to become a global conflict. Powerful outside interests simple are not interested enough in any to go to war with each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    Yeh but this news about the plane getting shot down, don't you think America will do something about the American citizens that died? I don't think that has happened in the past 10 years
    If it calls for anything, at the very most it calls for a proportional response. So that would be an airstrike or two on bits of hardware, maybe knocking out a few tanks or armoured vehicles.

Not a 300,000 strong invasion.

Those kind of small scale retaliatory strikes have happened for a long time, it's the way the system 'works'.

ReputationRep:
    And all of this was triggered by gay marriage. True story.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is going to kick off. Israel invading Gaza is normal - it happens every few years, no one cares enough to do anything about it. There's no appetite for any significant military intervention in Ukraine or Iraq/Syria. There'll be lots of talk and no action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    And all of this was triggered by gay marriage. True story.
    Gay marriage also caused all the storms we've been having. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    I highly doubt they will. There have been multiple cases of passenger planes being shot down by other countries and none of these have caused a war between nations. All America will do is tighten sanctions against Russia as a way of deterring them from providing arms to the separatists but these sanctions probably won't affect Russia in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrue)
    Gay marriage also caused all the storms we've been having. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.
    Next up, earthquakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Next up, earthquakes.
    I'll bet the earth moved for you, sweetie :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I'll bet the earth moved for you, sweetie :sexface:
    Oooh matron,

ReputationRep:
    well people can always go back to doing this

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2741869

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aka r)
    it won't be all out war, just like in Syria how Russia is backing Basher al assad, and America is backing the rebels.
    It's weird how:

Syrian rebels = good. Let's help them overthrow a democratically elected leader.
    Ukrainian rebels = evil. Let's stop them from overthrowing a government that was never elected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elohssa)
    It's weird how:

Syrian rebels = good. Let's help them overthrow a democratically elected leader.
    Ukrainian rebels = evil. Let's stop them from overthrowing a government that was never elected.
    Yep go read the hornets nest thread on news, ISIS bad? But there leader is CIA trained with proof from documents released by Edward Snowden

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.