Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are tattoos accepted at university or are they taboo (specifically in the media industry)?

I am planning to get full sleeves done as i have always wanted to, i know exactly what designs i want and everything as i have been meaning to get them done for a while, but people (****parents***) have always told me it would affect my chances of a job placement after graduating.
    I will be studying film and television production and believe in the creative media industry it is now accepted and looked upon as an extension of an individual's creativity.

What do you guys think should I go for it or not and why?

ReputationRep:
    Tattoos are fine at university, I have a sleeve and bits and bobs on my hands, no one has ever said anything. It's not anything like school.

As regards to jobs, that will vary from employer to employer.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To me they are acceptable but in this day and age you'll still get looked down upon by some people for having tattoos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Word on the street is that more than half of young people in the UK now have tattoos (albeit not all as vast and visible as your tattoos-to-be), so if employers actually make any decisions based on them, they're limiting their choices.

I worked in a "creative media" company (TV and video games) and there were wacky hair colours, tattoos galore, ripped clothes and people dressed as buccaneers all over the shop, PLUS running in the corridors.

I usually don't care about tattoos one way or the other, and I can't promise it won't make a difference to every employer, but sleeves kick ass and you obviously want them, so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romario.F)
    Are tattoos accepted at university or are they taboo (specifically in the media industry)?

I am planning to get full sleeves done as i have always wanted to, i know exactly what designs i want and everything as i have been meaning to get them done for a while, but people (****parents***) have always told me it would affect my chances of a job placement after graduating.
    I will be studying film and television production and believe in the creative media industry it is now accepted and looked upon as an extension of an individual's creativity.

As a mother I personally HATE tattoos - I think they look common.

I can see the attraction of them - on young taut skin they are artistic and often unique and say a lot about the personality of that person.

Fast forward several years - that taut skin is heading south and the colours have faded - not so nice.

My son has sleeves and they are artistic - Japanese art. I dislike them - he has ruined his skin - but it is his life. One thing he has down though is ensure that if he wears a long sleeved shirt they cannot be seen and I am grateful for that.

There are going to be a heck of a lot of pensioners in 40 years time regretting that tat. Cheryl Cole and her bum tat - yuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romario.F)

i have a full full sleeve, and over my chest, plus a few other places done, and I've never had any issues, worked in finance for years, always wore a suit, and my watch covered the part of my sleeve that showed. Nobody ever spotted it.

perhaps refrain from having your neck tattooed, harder to hide that that a sleeve.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to be a Creeayiv then tattoos are de rigeur, along with ironic glasses, shaved heads and Mockney accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_griffin11)
    Tattoos are fine at university, I have a sleeve and bits and bobs on my hands, no one has ever said anything. It's not anything like school.

As regards to jobs, that will vary from employer to employer.
    I see thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    Word on the street is that more than half of young people in the UK now have tattoos (albeit not all as vast and visible as your tattoos-to-be), so if employers actually make any decisions based on them, they're limiting their choices.

I worked in a "creative media" company (TV and video games) and there were wacky hair colours, tattoos galore, ripped clothes and people dressed as buccaneers all over the shop, PLUS running in the corridors.

I usually don't care about tattoos one way or the other, and I can't promise it won't make a difference to every employer, but sleeves kick ass and you obviously want them, so...
    Yeah that is what i figured that in the media industry it is accepted, but yeah you're right totally depends on the employer, sleeves do KICK ASS :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)

I can see the attraction of them - on young taut skin they are artistic and often unique and say a lot about the personality of that person.

Fast forward several years - that taut skin is heading south and the colours have faded - not so nice.

My son has sleeves and they are artistic - Japanese art. I dislike them - he has ruined his skin - but it is his life. One thing he has down though is ensure that if he wears a long sleeved shirt they cannot be seen and I am grateful for that.

There are going to be a heck of a lot of pensioners in 40 years time regretting that tat. Cheryl Cole and her bum tat - yuck
    My mother hates Tattoos too she said i cannot get them whilst living in *HER* house lol but as i will be leaving home to go live at university accommodation i will be getting them. I agree with you on that cheryl cole bum tat, it is disgusting for sure, but in my opinion if you really think about the ink you are putting in your skin and if it is actually meaningful to you and not just anything random or something you have done whilst drunk with your friends, then even 40 years later you should not regret doing it, also also in terms of the ink you can always get touch ups

I will make sure in important things like job interviews and meeting that i wear appropriate clothing of course and i will not be getting any tatts in ridiculous places.
    thank you for your view on it though much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I plan on getting ink'd before uni, love tattoos I can't see why anyone would have any major problem with them, and most employers don't mind, just make sure you don't get any in any areas that would be difficult to cover as unfortunately some employers would have a problem with tats being on display while at work. But one of my friends has a giant dream catcher on the side of her torso and she wants to be a primary school teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gillybop)
    i have a full full sleeve, and over my chest, plus a few other places done, and I've never had any issues, worked in finance for years, always wore a suit, and my watch covered the part of my sleeve that showed. Nobody ever spotted it.

perhaps refrain from having your neck tattooed, harder to hide that that a sleeve.
    Thanks ,i plan to get 2 full sleeves done and over my chest too like you but with time, because they are very expensive, specially in colour which want so i will be saving up some money and adding as i go along glad to know no one ever spotted yours thats awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)

I don't think many people will be looking at her ass in 40 years time anyway :')

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.