Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's less competitive: Graduate entry or foundation year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The title says it all, really.

I completed a science foundation year instead of science A-levels. My A-levels were AAAb, but humanities.

So, in which route will I face less competition?

a) Biomedical science degree and apply for graduate entry

or

b) Apply for 6-year courses with a foundation year (there are at least four I'm eligible for)

Note: FOUNDATION year courses, not gateway, for which I'm not eligible.

Thanks guys, let the voting commence!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilmayjune)
    The title says it all, really.

I completed a science foundation year instead of science A-levels. My A-levels were AAAb, but humanities.

So, in which route will I face less competition?

a) Biomedical science degree and apply for graduate entry

or

b) Apply for 6-year courses with a foundation year (there are at least four I'm eligible for)

Note: FOUNDATION year courses, not gateway, for which I'm not eligible.

Thanks guys, let the voting commence!!
    Well Southampton do both a post grad and a foundation year. There are 18 applicants per place for the BM6 (6 year course) and there are 24 applicants per place for BM4 (graduate).

I think grad will be more competitive as not so many people are eligible for foundation programmes.

Aaaaalso - somewhat cheeky - but if you apply for 4 med programmes with biomed as your 5th choice, then if you don't get in for medicine you can try grad entry anyway...?

Oh and worth mentioning that there seems to be a rumour going that grad med courses aren't going to be around for much longer. Something worth looking into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.