Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school is having troubles with literature so I'm thinking of taking language. I want to write screenplays, write books and aim to work as a director, is language able to help me or is it just a waste of time? Is it useful to me at a university level for my aspirations?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I`d suggest looking at universities offering the course you want to go into, and see if they specify english language or literature as an entry requirement, as some ask for a grade in related subjects. But just check on uni sites if they ask for English Lit. Why is your school having troubles with English Lit?
    I did English Language and personally enjoyed it, especially in AS where we did Child Language Acquisition, where you learn how children learn language, its really interesting. If you have any more questions regarding English Language, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I was wondering if language would be helpful as I am looking in pursuing a career in the film industry, most of the courses I have looked at involve film/ theatre and literature so I was wondering if language a level would help me in that career choice. The only one I have found relevant was language and creative writing but I'm not sure if it would help me in screenplay writing and directing. Plus my school is complicated and because of this, literature has fallen to a last option. What is language alevel like? Would it help me in screenplay writing?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakegill98)
    Thank you

I was wondering if language would be helpful as I am looking in pursuing a career in the film industry, most of the courses I have looked at involve film/ theatre and literature so I was wondering if language a level would help me in that career choice. The only one I have found relevant was language and creative writing but I'm not sure if it would help me in screenplay writing and directing. Plus my school is complicated and because of this, literature has fallen to a last option. What is language alevel like? Would it help me in screenplay writing?

Thank you
    For Language A-Level, one we have coursework for both years, one where you write your own article and then analyse it and another one where you choose 3 articles from the news (not sure about the topic, we did it on gypsies) and analyse them, and how the represent the given topic, in our case, gypsies. In A2, we do coursework where at our college we looked at language and gender, and choose a topic, for example, investigating things like `are men more likely to be dominant in conversations than women` and then look at theorists on gender and language and say whether there`s evidence to support this claim or to challenge it.

For the exam, in AS it was quite straightforward, similar to GCSE, except you are more detailed in analysis as you have to say what word class something is (is it an adjective, adverb etc.) and then analyse it like you would do in GCSE. The second part was Child Language, you basically memorise the theories, and evidences to support and challenge them (we literally memorised 5 paragraphs and all we had to do was write them in the exam).
    A2 was more detailed, we looked at Language Change and Political Correctness, Language and Gender and World Languages, but it is fairly straightforward like the 1st year, there`s just more to learn.
    I dont know whether its right for the career path you`ve chosen, sorry, hopefully someone on TSR can help you. Another thing you can do is email unis and ask them whether they feel English Lang or Lit would be better for your career choice
    Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.