Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am moving into my final year of my MEng in Aeronautical Engineering (I will graduate sometime July '15) and am thinking of pursuing a PhD in the field around this time next year. When would I generally be looking at submitting applications? Is it fine to submit multiple applications to multiple different universities? And finally, I will be needing funding if I want to pursue a PhD; my current university offer fully funded courses, but what about universities such as Cambridge, or top Ivy League schools in the US - do they generally provide funding?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    When would I generally be looking at submitting applications?
    PhD positions for Sept 2015 will generally be available from early in the New Year. People don't know what projects they'll have much earlier than that. Take advice from a friendly academic in your current institution (eg tutor or MEng project supervisor)

Is it fine to submit multiple applications to multiple different universities?
    Yes. There is no equivalent to UCAS for PhDs. I'd say you have to make multiple applications. It would also be quite reasonable to apply to the same institution/department for more than one PhD if more than one project catches your eye.

And finally, I will be needing funding if I want to pursue a PhD; my current university offer fully funded courses, but what about universities such as Cambridge, or top Ivy League schools in the US - do they generally provide funding?
    You certainly will need funding. FindaPhD is useful. Also look at departmental websites. There is nothing wrong with finding a few academics you'd really want to work with and emailing them directly to see what opportunities they might have. For UK opportunities, look at the recently funded EPSRC Centres for Doctoral Training and see who has a CDT relevant to your interests.

So from now to New Year you can do some thinking and some research, and then get applying as opportunities come up in the first half of 2015

Good luck

C

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.