The Student Room Group

Is enlightenment the same for all societies?

Hi there! :smile:

We were discussing this in class yesterday and I'm looking for more perspectives on the matter. To be specific we were talking about the mid 1800's enlightenment in Europe(not sure of the spread). Then we proceeded to question whether India had an Enlightenment. You really don't need to worry about the India part, just the title question is what I'd like some opinions on.

For those not familiar with my country, in a nutshell, it's choc-full with many different cultures- this is pretty much the most important context for now.

So here are two opinions that were presented and that I liked:

1) Due to the presence of multiple cultures they had little 'bouts' (love the usage) of enlightenment, but none lasted long enough to be as conspicuous as the the western enlightenment.

2) (What some other and I thought) That India's enlightenment is hybridized/ non-traditional as people that are normally supposed to further enlightenment ie. men and women of science, have strong religious groundings. I supported this with my Chemistry professor a researcher as well and my Vet. But the list is actually endless, those two are just a few that I have known closely.

I hope you'll find this as thought provoking as I did!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending