The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will2348
Rothschild only but Lazard have networking events/presentations.

One more name to add to my to-apply list then.
Do you know if the Lazard events are competitive to get into?
Original post by solaars
One more name to add to my to-apply list then.
Do you know if the Lazard events are competitive to get into?

The events usually not overly competitive if you apply early. If you don't get accepted first time you can just apply again as they are always running them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by Davelittle
I'm considering applying for a spring week at an investment bank, simply because I feel I need to at least try it before deciding on my career.

I'm going to be doing Chem Eng via NatSci next year at Cambridge, will they be able to help me out and will there be careers fairs etc where I can ask questions? Because I know little about the ins and outs of applying etc.

You bet. Just ask them and theyll gear you up, also if you put some effort into applications you'll be set for interviews.
Hi guys. I am looking to do a spring week in investment management in one of the BB. I am going to Bristol to study law next academic year.
I got A* in my economics, A in maths, B in history( few marks off an A, so waiting for a remark) and an A in chinese.
I am a member of the school basketball team, elected as house prefect, member of the sixth form council for two consecutive years, found the trading and investment society in my school, have been managing an equity account of my own, achieving a net return of 12% YTD (6 months time). Got job experience in legal&compliance division in one of Asia's biggest fundhouse for two consecutive years.
Do I stand a chance to land an interview in one of the BBs? Really appreciate it if anyone could answer my question.
Reply 224
Original post by mlee52995gs
Hi guys. I am looking to do a spring week in investment management in one of the BB. I am going to Bristol to study law next academic year.
I got A* in my economics, A in maths, B in history( few marks off an A, so waiting for a remark) and an A in chinese.
I am a member of the school basketball team, elected as house prefect, member of the sixth form council for two consecutive years, found the trading and investment society in my school, have been managing an equity account of my own, achieving a net return of 12% YTD (6 months time). Got job experience in legal&compliance division in one of Asia's biggest fundhouse for two consecutive years.
Do I stand a chance to land an interview in one of the BBs? Really appreciate it if anyone could answer my question.

You are going to a semi-target university with top grades. The only thing that could hold you back is not having any direct work experience towards IB, just ensure that you get your motivations correct. Other than that your application looks good. Definitely capable of landing an interview if your app and CV are written correctly.
Original post by Hobes1
You are going to a semi-target university with top grades. The only thing that could hold you back is not having any direct work experience towards IB, just ensure that you get your motivations correct. Other than that your application looks good. Definitely capable of landing an interview if your app and CV are written correctly.

Thank you for your kind comments. My question is, could I use my experience in managing my own equity trading account and spin it, arguing that it is sort of work experience towards IB? Also, do you think the fact that I took initiative in setting up a society relating to finance would help differentiate me from other applicants?

Sorry for bothering you but I am in desperate need of some advice! Appreciate your help!
Hey future bankers! Around what time do most banks open their applications for SWs? Someone told me they start as early as the beginning of September? :frown:
Also, what else will I need for my applications, except a CV? Do I need a cover letter?
Would much appreciate your help :smile:
How much does applying early for these things matter - do they start giving out interviews/offers before the application deadline, or does it just show that you're keen etc.
Original post by Refrigerator
How much does applying early for these things matter - do they start giving out interviews/offers before the application deadline, or does it just show that you're keen etc.

The former. I feel like CS was almost completely done by October/November . Very early. Have a look when people started getting interviews on last year's thread.
GS isn't rolling, so it doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by solaars
Can't wait to start yeah. Kind of a party-study-play-work-(sex) hard experience but let's face it, I like it. I'll be doing Economics myself.

I don't know, I'm testing the water. I think I'll apply mid October. Early enough to be around the top of the list, late enough to be involved in some stuff at uni. I'm still working on my CV though. I need to figure out a smart way to talk about the not so smart stuff I did during my internship.. You?

Hahahahahaha, as I was scrolling through this thread I was thinking exactly the same about my current internship I am undertaking in Private Equity.
Original post by Aenigma
The former. I feel like CS was almost completely done by October/November . Very early. Have a look when people started getting interviews on last year's thread.
GS isn't rolling, so it doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, thanks. Do you know which banks are/aren't doing it on a rolling basis?
Ah right, thanks. Do you know which banks are/aren't doing it on a rolling basis?

I know GS isn't rolling. Check the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Hahahahahaha, as I was scrolling through this thread I was thinking exactly the same about my current internship I am undertaking in Private Equity.

I guess that's the big deal (managed to do it however, gl to you).
Are you enjoying you internship anyway? How's it?
I was thinking of doing PE, but after M&A.
Nice to meet you.

Only GS aren't rolling.
Reply 234
Original post by mlee52995gs
Thank you for your kind comments. My question is, could I use my experience in managing my own equity trading account and spin it, arguing that it is sort of work experience towards IB? Also, do you think the fact that I took initiative in setting up a society relating to finance would help differentiate me from other applicants?

Sorry for bothering you but I am in desperate need of some advice! Appreciate your help!

Absolutely, both of these are really relevant. You will need to get them across in a way on both your CV and Interviews to differentiate yourself. i.e. everyone can say they made a society, you will need to say exactly what you did, how many people - same with the fund (how much you made, why and when)
Original post by solaars
I guess that's the big deal (managed to do it however, gl to you).
Are you enjoying you internship anyway? How's it?
I was thinking of doing PE, but after M&A.
Nice to meet you.

I am really enjoying it, it is definitely what I would like to do in the future. Like before the placement I held the standard "I want to be a trader in FI rates" blah blah mentality, but the real money is in private equity.

I am shadowing senior ex-bankers who have all moved from the city to the west-end, they've given me a real insight into what I should plan for ahead. I mean I'm open to discuss all that I have learnt so far, but I will probably reply late as my working hours are very long most of the time.

Pro's so far:
1) You meet so many interesting people
2) Comms are the biggest drive to succeed in this job
3) Free access to most of the private clubs in London, Lansdowne, Home House etc.

Con's:
1) Soul-destroying (so you must be sure to do something in the evening to help relax you a bit)
Original post by Hobes1
Absolutely, both of these are really relevant. You will need to get them across in a way on both your CV and Interviews to differentiate yourself. i.e. everyone can say they made a society, you will need to say exactly what you did, how many people - same with the fund (how much you made, why and when)

Hobes did you get into Birmingham in the end!?
Original post by Hobes1

Thank you very much for your help! Definitely will take notes of what you said and all the best to your future career endeavours!
Reply 238
If anyone needs their CV checked lemme know in PM (so bored)
Original post by lucy336
Hi, I'm a bit confused as to whether I have any chance of getting a place on a SW. I got A*A*AAA in my A Levels (one of the A*s being Economics) but I didn't take Maths (although I have an A* at gcse in Maths). Would this set me back? I'm doing an Economics degree at Exeter as this was the best university I could do an Economics degree without having taken Maths A Level. I run my own business (50k+ revenue a year) but have no specific experience in investment banking. I'm not sure if I can apply or not?!

I'm at Exeter doing economics and finance with less A levels and no business to speak of :u: but I still got through to a SW, so yeah I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending