The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Got an invite from HR via email for final round telephone interviews with MS just now
Original post by CD315
Can you remember when GS started giving out interviews last year?

Think interviews took place end of jan/start of feb. So I guess quite soon after the deadline

I wouldn't get too caught up on GS. You're in a worse position if you do their Spring week (and don't get to do others because it's two weeks) and don't convert than people who convert their other spring weeks.

I'd take GS if you have another (non-clashing offer) which you are more likely to convert.
Last year, I think it was possible to do GS+ MS/Roth/CS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2822
Original post by blix2
I haven't been rejected yet :biggrin: but its only been 2 days so i am still waiting post interview!

They take about 150 people per year, and at one event I was told by an HR lady that they are quite flexible with their numbers....soooooo, lets see!

At the beginning I was annoyed because it seemed like everyone who applied to BAML got an offer, like they took absolutely everyone - now it seems like CS is doing the same, but in reality it is that BAML and CS started recruiting at different times, so now we are hearing about CS and not BAML anymore !! I suppose it is good we applied early as I would believe places are almost all taken. Also MS only started interviewing this week! so I am sure we will start hearing about MS offers all over the place on Jan!!! :smile:

Good luck!!!

I have got absolutely no response from CS since applying :tongue:

Original post by Aenigma
Think interviews took place end of jan/start of feb. So I guess quite soon after the deadline

I wouldn't get too caught up on GS. You're in a worse position if you do their Spring week (and don't get to do others because it's two weeks) and don't convert than people who convert their other spring weeks.

I'd take GS if you have another (non-clashing offer) which you are more likely to convert.
Last year, I think it was possible to do GS+ MS/Roth/CS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Understandable. I'd quite happly take GS though, and attempt to get my BAML switched to the Summer. GS on the CV is bound to add a lot of value for internship apps at other banks surely..
Original post by CD315
I have got absolutely no response from CS since applying :tongue:

Understandable. I'd quite happly take GS though, and attempt to get my BAML switched to the Summer. GS on the CV is bound to add a lot of value for internship apps at other banks surely..

Yeah, of course switch BAML to summer.

I'd have thought so, but I give you the scenario of myself and two friends

Myself: GS SW offer turned down. Converted my spring weeks needs up with summer offers from 6 BBs (inc. GS) - target university, SWs and prior experience

Friend A: same university. No spring weeks, but prior experience, ended up with offers from GS and one other American BB

Friend B: 'semi-target' GS spring week (non converted) and two previous internships (although not FO). So far he's only had 1 post-interview and 1 post interview offer to interview for a MO position. No offers, no other interviews.

If GS held the weight that people thought I'm sure friend B would have heard from the MM banks...

I know you're at a target but it was a general message for everyone to thin about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2824
Original post by Aenigma
Yeah, of course switch BAML to summer.

I'd have thought so, but I give you the scenario of myself and two friends

Myself: GS SW offer turned down. Converted my spring weeks needs up with summer offers from 6 BBs (inc. GS) - target university, SWs and prior experience

Friend A: same university. No spring weeks, but prior experience, ended up with offers from GS and one other American BB

Friend B: 'semi-target' GS spring week (non converted) and two previous internships (although not FO). So far he's only had 1 post-interview and 1 post interview offer to interview for a MO position. No offers, no other interviews.

If GS held the weight that people thought I'm sure friend B would have heard from the MM banks...

I know you're at a target but it was a general message for everyone to thin about

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair. Perhaps being at a target makes more of a difference than people make out sometimes?

Also, is it common knowledge that GS have low conversion rates or what?
Original post by vmwl
Got an invite from HR via email for final round telephone interviews with MS just now

Congrats, what was your first round interview experience?

Brain teasers/technicals?
Original post by CD315
Fair. Perhaps being at a target makes more of a difference than people make out sometimes?

Also, is it common knowledge that GS have low conversion rates or what?

I think people make out that it's quite a large factor

Think it has pretty low spring week conversion, especially in S&T not surprising given the weird format (you aren't assigned a desk, you just gave to find people to let you sit with them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
I think people make out that it's quite a large factor

Think it has pretty low spring week conversion, especially in S&T not surprising given the weird format (you aren't assigned a desk, you just gave to find people to let you sit with them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although, from what I understand from a JPM trader who did summer with GS, their conversion rate from summer to full-time is pretty decent (apparently >50%) despite the summer programme being probably the most cut throat of all banks.
Original post by Noble.
Although, from what I understand from a JPM trader who did summer with GS, their conversion rate from summer to full-time is pretty decent (apparently >50%) despite the summer programme being probably the most cut throat of all banks.

Yeah, although compare that with places like DB which are 80-90 it doesn't look so great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
Yeah, although compare that with places like DB which are 80-90 it doesn't look so great

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do DB convert a lot then? All I know is that everyone gets an automatic interview after the SW
Reply 2830
Original post by Anonynous
Congrats, what was your first round interview experience?

Brain teasers/technicals?

Just motivation and competency with some commercial awareness
Original post by President M.E.
Do DB convert a lot then? All I know is that everyone gets an automatic interview after the SW

I know in IBD both spring and summer the conversion is exceptionally higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
questions about GS.

the "cover letter" question says: Please provide information you would typically include in your cover letter in 300 words or less. Be sure to provide examples of the qualities you would bring to Goldman Sachs and describe your motivations for applying. If you are applying to more than one division, please discuss your motivations for applying to each.

so does this mean you kind of have to start the with the whole "I am a physics student at UCL wishing to apply for the spring internship" or can you just get straight into it?
Haven't heard from MS, Citi, BAML or CS since applying (taken numericals for all except Citi) and I applied mid October, what are my chances of being called for an interview?
Original post by DavidMonk
questions about GS.

the "cover letter" question says: Please provide information you would typically include in your cover letter in 300 words or less. Be sure to provide examples of the qualities you would bring to Goldman Sachs and describe your motivations for applying. If you are applying to more than one division, please discuss your motivations for applying to each.

so does this mean you kind of have to start the with the whole "I am a physics student at UCL wishing to apply for the spring internship" or can you just get straight into it?

Your university/degree would've already been written in the application. Jump straight in.

Motivation for firm / Role (Spring Week) / Why you're a good fit
(edited 9 years ago)
questions about GS.

Nope. Straight into: why gs, why that division and why you. :smile:
Original post by Roadrage27
Haven't heard from MS, Citi, BAML or CS since applying (taken numericals for all except Citi) and I applied mid October, what are my chances of being called for an interview?

I am in the same position, except I have taken the Citi numerical, is anybody able to shed any light on this? Good or bad news I don't mind, would just like some information!
questions about GS.

Go straight in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whats everyone's progress on JP morgan? anybody heard any more 'rumours' of people getting offers/rejections? Man I could really do with just one spring offer :redface:

Monk.
Whats everyone's progress on JP morgan? anybody heard any more 'rumours' of people getting offers/rejections? Man I could really do with just one spring offer :redface:

Monk.

My friend was emailed saying that he has a telephone interview for trading. I haven't heard anything back for IBD and risk yet...