The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by solaars
New, but totally in.
I'll be doing Economics at UCL, if anybody's going there too, pm me.

Good luck everyone. What investment banks are you aiming for?
And mostly, what department are you applying for?

I'm thinking about M&A, but also am genuinely interested in Sales and trading, I don't know yet. Guess I'll end up flipping a coin.

For me S&T DB is my dream, they are kickin ass in FX apparently. Also research the roles, and don't decide whether you'll go for S&T or IB by flipping a coin, they are very different roles and your personality may very well suit one but really not the other.
(not to mention the different kind of interview questions you may get)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by idelaghetto
Hey could you PM me some links to these online applicant tests? Is it also impossible if you don't have banking experience and you're not at an target uni?

You are not at a target uni -> chances significantly drop (whatever these well informed folks say here in TSR.. don't listen to them), but it largely depends on what else you have on your CV. Also remember that all it takes is one, there are 9 BBs, if you get just a single SW, basically you get the chance to be very well postitioned at that particular bank's next year summer recruitment.

Don't have any finance experience -> chances drop a bit lower, but again, largely depends on what else do you have. Try anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Szmessh
For me S&T DB is my dream, they are kickin ass in FX apparently. Also research the roles, and don't decide whether you'll go for S&T or IB by flipping a coin, they are very different roles and your personality may very well suit one but really not the other.

DB is really a fantastic bank. Great culture. Super friendly people. Make sure you practice the assessment tests. DB take very few for the S/W ~ 20 maybe less and they have a pretty tough numerical test. Let me know if you want any DB specific advice. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Szmessh

Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll try to get some info for one role and the other, keep searching and see what suits me the most.
Good luck with all of the application thing.
Of course for the coin, I was kidding, but you're totally right.

I have a family member working in S&T I reckon, I'll try to see if I can shadow them during the summer to see if that's for me or not.
Are you reading any finance-related book?
What do Investment Banks in London actually look for when it comes to recruiting of Spring Interns? High school grades/school v.s. finance related internships, which one is considered as more important? In terms of school and grades, I am from a top continental school in Europe(BBs actively contact students at this school to look for interns), and my UCAS tariff is above 650 points. But in terms of internship, I literally only have worked as a tutor for high school students, and worked within telemarketing for a financial advisory company (Although this sounds like finance related, it is not, it is a very small financial advisory company in Norway who litterally employ everyone that applies). I am pretty good at writing personal letters, and I will conduct research into the companies that I will be applying for.

Can someone please evaluate the chances that I will have in terms of getting a few interviews with the BBs? Do I have a solid chance if my personal letters look good?
Reply 25
Original post by solaars
Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll try to get some info for one role and the other, keep searching and see what suits me the most.
Good luck with all of the application thing.
Of course for the coin, I was kidding, but you're totally right.

I have a family member working in S&T I reckon, I'll try to see if I can shadow them during the summer to see if that's for me or not.
Are you reading any finance-related book?

That's very good actually, if you got any family connections you gotta capitalize on them (you play the cards your dealt right). Read a few yeah, most recently took a look into a few quantitative trading books, but turns out its a bit harder than I thought lol

Original post by EconAndBusiness
Do I have a solid chance if my personal letters look good?

If you are looking to get into an FO spring week at a BB, then they are looking for people who are interesting, have a broad background, don't afraid to take an initiative, pay attention to detail like no tmrw, can demonstrate their interests in their chosen role, smart, etc... Basically, they are recruiting the top performing people. When the BB HR desk have full of CVs which have "oxbridge/lse/warwick/ucl/imperial" and "captain/athlete" written over them, going to a good school (not just the before mentioned obviously) and having good marks become a given.

If you can't differentiate yourself whether that's by networking, by going to a UK target, or by having some interesting stuff on your CV (volunteering in south africa, having some entrepreneur stuff, being an athlete with some outstanding results or having some legit finance related internship etc), you simply will just end up with zero interviews from the BBs, that's the sad truth. I am also from cont europe and hell, even I ended up with being rejected from all the insight days I applied to in spite of the fact I had a few of these things.

What personal letters you talkin about? I suggest you to do some reading on how the recruiting works in the UK, also rather than researching some companies (you'll have the time to do it once you land interviews from certain firms) research the role you'll be applying for and keep up with the news regularly. And polish your CV to a max extent (even if you have to pay for it; don't be that guy who didn't want to shell out 50 quids for some online tests training package and maybe this will cost him a 8k summer internship down the road). Cover letters are not always part of the application, sometimes they'll just do competency questions anyway.
Reply 26
Original post by Szmessh
That's very good actually, if you got any family connections you gotta capitalize on them (you play the cards your dealt right). Read a few yeah, most recently took a look into a few quantitative trading books, but turns out its a bit harder than I thought lol

Exactly. It's turning out okay, and I think I'll be witnessing some S&T traders on the job soon.
I read a little more about S&T and M&A, I'm starting to have a better idea of what I want. I think I'll go for M&A, because it gives me better opportunities for the future, while S&T is really a lifetime job it seems (if you don't get fired hahaha).
Just read you were from cont. europe. Where are you from?

Original post by EconAndBusiness
Can someone please evaluate the chances that I will have in terms of getting a few interviews with the BBs? Do I have a solid chance if my personal letters look good?

You have a chance. But I reckon most of the BBs don't required a personal letter. It's just a CV. If you really want to do it, find a way, but I don't think that only a "letter that looks good" won't make it.
There are a lot of motivated people out there who want to be in more than anything. So you need to be above others to ensure a place, and that's where work and personal experience come in handy.
Szmessh gave you good advice, follow them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by solaars
Exactly. It's turning out okay, and I think I'll be witnessing some S&T traders on the job soon.
I read a little more about S&T and M&A, I'm starting to have a better idea of what I want. I think I'll go for M&A, because it gives me better opportunities for the future, while S&T is really a lifetime job it seems (if you don't get fired hahaha).
Just read you were from cont. europe. Where are you from?

Yeah S&T gives you a very narrow skillset indeed, exit opps don't compare to IB. Got no problem with the lifetime thing as far as I am concerned, haha. Eastern europe
Reply 28
Best of luck to all applying this year, has anyone started preparing for the verbal and numerical tests yet?

The recruitment process that each bank follows is a bit unclear for spring week, it would be good if we could use our collective knowledge for the common good here. Below is the list of Spring weeks placements, I have filled in the recruitment procedure for a few banks that I know of, please feel free to add to the list if you can.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch -
Barclays - Numerical test followed by ?
Blackrock -
BNP Paribas -
BP -
Citi -
Credit Suisse -
Deloitte -
Deutsche Bank -
EY -
Goldman Sachs - Cover letter and CV required (no test), followed by interviews
HSBC -
ICAP -
JP Morgan - Numerical test followed by ?
Morgan Stanley -
Nomura -
PwC -
RBC Capital Markets -
RBS -
Rothschild -
Shell -
UBS -
Original post by Mantown
Best of luck to all applying this year, has anyone started preparing for the verbal and numerical tests yet?

The recruitment process that each bank follows is a bit unclear for spring week, it would be good if we could use our collective knowledge for the common good here. Below is the list of Spring weeks placements, I have filled in the recruitment procedure for a few banks that I know of, please feel free to add to the list if you can.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch -
Barclays - Numerical test followed by ?
Blackrock -
BNP Paribas -
BP -
Citi -
Credit Suisse -
Deloitte -
Deutsche Bank -
EY -
Goldman Sachs - Cover letter and CV required (no test), followed by interviews
HSBC -
ICAP -
JP Morgan - Numerical test followed by ?
Morgan Stanley -
Nomura -
PwC -
RBC Capital Markets -
RBS -
Rothschild -
Shell -
UBS -

Spring Weeker from Spring 2014 here...

Barclays is a numerical + verbal followed by I believe either a telephone interview and then an AC. (they use SHL)
BAML is just a telephone interview after numerical test (they use Kenexa)
BNPP have no tests but just a telephone interview
BP have a telephone interview
CS have tests (use kenexa) and then a telephone interview
GS do face to face interviews
JPM have a numerical test followed by a situational judgement test followed by face to face interviews
MS have two telephone interviews after the tests
RBC is just a telephone interview
Rothschild had no tests and a face to face interview with HR and a GFA Analyst
Shell had no tests or interviews last year, just the application and that was it although that might be different this year
UBS is a just a telephone interview after the tests (which include a logical)

RBS & Citi use TalentQ which are much harder than your average test and RBS have an awful logical test.

Hope that helps - read through the thread last year for more :smile:.
Reply 30
Do you guys think that the recruiting process is likely to change this year from one firm to another?
Reply 31
Original post by will2348
Spring Weeker from Spring 2014 here...

Barclays is a numerical + verbal followed by I believe either a telephone interview and then an AC. (they use SHL)
BAML is just a telephone interview after numerical test (they use Kenexa)
BNPP have no tests but just a telephone interview
BP have a telephone interview
CS have tests (use kenexa) and then a telephone interview
GS do face to face interviews
JPM have a numerical test followed by a situational judgement test followed by face to face interviews
MS have two telephone interviews after the tests
RBC is just a telephone interview
Rothschild had no tests and a face to face interview with HR and a GFA Analyst
Shell had no tests or interviews last year, just the application and that was it although that might be different this year
UBS is a just a telephone interview after the tests (which include a logical)

RBS & Citi use TalentQ which are much harder than your average test and RBS have an awful logical test.

Hope that helps - read through the thread last year for more :smile:.

Thank you, that is very helpfull!!
Original post by solaars
Do you guys think that the recruiting process is likely to change this year from one firm to another?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which insight days has everyone been to? I went to HSBC on Monday it was amazing you reckon I could put this on my CV? also speaking to many of the bankers who work there and recruiters, they've stated that they are not really that bothered about which university you go to (AS LONG AS IT'S NOT BELOW 50TH OR SOMETHING ) but getting a 1st is very important, all they really want is a hard working motivated individual and someone who is a bit different.

In the meanwhile they gave us a lot of advice on what to write down for the Spring week applications and the numerical test.

Wish you all luck!
Reply 34
Absolutely no insight days or relevant banking experience (except for a week long placement in a branch of my local retail bank, that's it) and my extra curriculars are poor. Have I any hope of landing a Spring Week?
Original post by CD315
Absolutely no insight days or relevant banking experience (except for a week long placement in a branch of my local retail bank, that's it) and my extra curriculars are poor. Have I any hope of landing a Spring Week?

Of course you have a chance! its very difficult to even into an insight day! (I was lucky to be a part of a group of 40 people selected from about 300!) not many people get the chance to go to insight days and they are only offered once a year, by all means apply and show your passion and you'll find yourself landing a spring week :smile:
Original post by MaGeehkaal
Which insight days has everyone been to? I went to HSBC on Monday it was amazing you reckon I could put this on my CV? also speaking to many of the bankers who work there and recruiters, they've stated that they are not really that bothered about which university you go to (AS LONG AS IT'S NOT BELOW 50TH OR SOMETHING ) but getting a 1st is very important, all they really want is a hard working motivated individual and someone who is a bit different.

In the meanwhile they gave us a lot of advice on what to write down for the Spring week applications and the numerical test.

Wish you all luck!

Do you know if there's still anymore insight programmes open?
Original post by Selym95
Do you know if there's still anymore insight programmes open?

None at all dude closing dates were around may time
None at all dude closing dates were around may time

Ouch. Thanks anyway

Wish you all luck!

I was under the impression that it was the other way around. Uni matters more and anything above 2:1 is standard.

Latest

Trending

Trending