The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James E Walker
What university specifically? In all fairness Russel Group doesn't mean **** in the world of Investment Banking. You're either at a target/semi-target or a non-target.

If you're at a Target, do whatever the hell you want, if you're at a semi-target do Economics/Finance/Maths/Business/Engineering.. if you're at a non-target lol.. do Economics & network your ass off.

Is there a list of target/semi-target university's? Isn't Finance better for investment banking then Economics? When you say network your ass off how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Navyhavn
Lol given how much you mouth off on these forums would have thought you were a bit more senior.

I'm as junior as they come I'm afraid. Still live that yolo lifestyle.

Original post by realcloud
Is there a list of target/semi-target university's? Isn't Finance better for investment banking then Economics? When you say network your ass off how?

Finance is more relevant, I study Finance and have landed gigs at various institutions and have a bb summer ibd offer, whichever appeases you tbh.. when I say Econ it groups the general business type courses inc Maths.

These universities: https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE are universities such as UCL and Warwick (though this only applies to Warwick's Economics and Maths departments). UCL and Warwick are the remaining members of the G5, and are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Investment_Banking
Anyone get the interview invite for BAML summer insight for global markets?
I have done the SHL numerical reasoning practice test and it was insanely hard, mainly because of the time allocated to do the questions! How did the practice test and the real thing compare in terms of difficulty? Thanks
Original post by tehforum
I have done the SHL numerical reasoning practice test and it was insanely hard, mainly because of the time allocated to do the questions! How did the practice test and the real thing compare in terms of difficulty? Thanks

They're not difficult, once you understand the structure of the questions you'll get to a level of affluency where you just see keywords within the question and be able to recall the logic required to answer the questions.

Personally I bought jobtestprep (discount available on canarywharfian site) and practiced for a couple days to ensure I finish all questions in the allocated time. Timing was a problem for me at first, but once you do it a couple of times.. meh.

These tests are incredibly over-hyped, they are mostly GCSE questions with regards to numericals where if you have a basic undertanding of percentage changes, ratios, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and can apply it to hypothetical scenarios, you've pretty much passed before you begin.

As above.

i see you've taken an interest into our world? What gives?

ggs on follower count
Original post by gr8wizard10
As above.

i see you've taken an interest into our world? What gives?

ggs on follower count

Paha, I know the target market for numerical reasoning tests, and it isn't the law thread!

Do you guys have any links to some more SHL numerical reasoning tests please?
They're not difficult, once you understand the structure of the questions you'll get to a level of affluency where you just see keywords within the question and be able to recall the logic required to answer the questions.

Personally I bought jobtestprep (discount available on canarywharfian site) and practiced for a couple days to ensure I finish all questions in the allocated time. Timing was a problem for me at first, but once you do it a couple of times.. meh.

These tests are incredibly over-hyped, they are mostly GCSE questions with regards to numericals where if you have a basic undertanding of percentage changes, ratios, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and can apply it to hypothetical scenarios, you've pretty much passed before you begin.

The maths obviously isn't hard, especially for IB applicants. Maybe it's different for law applicants though.

So, how did the practice test on the websites and ones provided by jobtestprep compare to the real thing?
The maths obviously isn't hard, especially for IB applicants. Maybe it's different for law applicants though.

So, how did the practice test on the websites and ones provided by jobtestprep compare to the real thing?

http://www.canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep.96/

Different firms have different providers, although they all pretty much have the same layout, apart from TalentQ
http://www.canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep.96/

Different firms have different providers, although they all pretty much have the same layout, apart from TalentQ

Alright cool will probably purchase the tests!
Paha, I know the target market for numerical reasoning tests, and it isn't the law thread!Do you guys have any links to some more SHL numerical reasoning tests please?

are you suggesting law numericals are more difficult than IB. SHL is a standardised reasoning test which simply measures level of idiocy tbh and it's the same across all the industries in which it is provided for the most part.
are you suggesting law numericals are more difficult than IB. SHL is a standardised reasoning test which simply measures level of idiocy tbh and it's the same across all the industries in which it is provided for the most part.

No, I'm saying there may be easier tests for law and other non-numerical based careers.
No, I'm saying there may be easier tests for law and other non-numerical based careers.

what field of law you applying too?
what field of law you applying too?

Commercial
I think law verbal tests are harder than numerical tests. I have never failed numerical but I have failed verbal... *cough* watson glaser...

As stated above the maths itself is not hard it's just interpreting the data and then solving the question in an extremely limited amount of time. You get the hang of it after a few tests Though....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aussie Dude ._.
I think law verbal tests are harder than numerical tests. I have never failed numerical but I have failed verbal... *cough* watson glaser...

As stated above the maths itself is not hard it's just interpreting the data and then solving the question in an extremely limited amount of time. You get the hang of it after a few tests Though....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got past the Watson Glaser test so here's hoping!
Original post by Purple_fox
Finally the whole craziness of applications and interviews and converting is over! It was great to meet some of you during the springs and see you on the summer thread :smile:

I want to work for the Goldman Sachs, can u teach me over summer plz
Original post by Unsworth

A wild Unsworth appears...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unsworth

Yes, sign for the waiting list.
Original post by Purple_fox
Yes, sign for the waiting list.

bitch plz I get priority

Latest