Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

First off I'll just give a bit of background on myself.. I'm 22, about to do my 2nd and final year of a CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education. I've had all As and only one B this year, with an A in my final exam and I'm predicted an A grade at the end of my diploma. Should I get that A grade, I'll have 360 UCAS points. I also have AS Levels from when I was 17 (ABC in Theatre Studies, English Literature, and Psychology, respectfully.) I got good grades in sciences at GCSE, with an A in Biology and B's in Chemistry and Physics. In the course I am currently studying, we do a lot of practical as well as written work. I have a lot of experience working with babies and a good knowledge of things like legislation, policies, some ailments such as foetal alcohol syndrome, and the importance of a number of issues such as confidentiality, multi-agency working, observations, and meeting holistic needs.
    I've also done work experience at my local hospital on the children's ward and will be doing further volunteer work in a hospital setting later this year (6 month waiting list unfortunately).

Deep down in my heart I want to be a midwife, but I'm acutely aware of how competitive it is and consequently very difficult to get into. I'm worried my diploma won't be enough against all these amazing people with excellent A Levels. I've settled for Children's Nursing and I know I'd thoroughly enjoy it, but should I be brave and go for Midwifery? Do I have the experience necessary?

My Universities of choice are Swansea, Cardiff, University of South Wales, and UWE, if that helps any

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Excellent choices in universities I am looking at doing midwifery September 2015 and will be applying for them 4 universities.

After going to open days they really do say go with your heart. There is such a difference between Children's Nursing and Midwifery and you want to be 100% happy. The lady in Swansea university open day said it does not matter what qualifications you have whether it was Access or A- Levels as long as you have the right entry requirements just because someone has other qualifications it does not make them have a higher chance of getting in. Just make sure the universities take your diploma and go visit the open days. She said it's all down to your personal statement.

I say go for Midwifery!
    Rhi x

ReputationRep:
    You should do what you want to do. Qualifications are less important for these courses (as long as you have the required qualifications) than interview and personally statement.

Both are highly competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    If you know you really want to be a midwife then apply for midwifery! Your qualifications are perfectly fine and you have good experience, you've just as much chance as everyone else

ReputationRep:
    Go for midwifery! My friend applied for children's nursing because she didn't have the grades to get into midwifery and she thoroughly hated it and ended up quitting so go for what you feel in your heart you have a tonne of experience and good grades so you have a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Good luck with your decision. You should go with your heart and do what you really want to do. Children's nursing and midwifery are very different disciplines, as I am sure you know. Just something to think about as well is that if you did do children's nursing you would not then be able to do the shortened midwifery course to become a registered midwife. Only adult nursing can do this route.

Good luck again!

ReputationRep:
    Do which ever one you think you'll really enjoy, sounds like you are swaying towards midwifery and if this is the case then go for it, tailor your personal statement and in the mean time look for any voluntary positions in that chosen field...oh and good luck x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.